Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Support

Old 12-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

I'm sure either his DVD player, TV, or both are NTSC only. It's very rare to find ones that can play PAL here.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Woof !

Just a Guest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
I'm sure either his DVD player, TV, or both are NTSC only. It's very rare to find ones that can play PAL here.
Yes, i realized that later. I was thinking of my own situation here.
It works about 99% over here but only 1% there.
Is it so that players in the USA/Canada just WON'T output PAL? (regardless of TV capability)
Old 12-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Paris féerique

Toc De Mac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Guest View Post
Did you try to play the DVD on another region 1 restricted player?
Yep, I just tried playing it on my downstairs DVD player, but to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
Either that, or if you're really serious buying a DVD player that can do the conversion. They're usually around $50. For example: http://www.amazon.com/PHILIPS-DVP314...dp/B000Q0NDSA/

I buy a lot of discs from the UK and other countries, so for me having such a player is a must.
Thanks Snatcher, I'll have to keep that solution in mind (who knows, if Alizée releases another en concert film, I might just have to splurge on a new DVD player).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Imagine watching Alizee performing under the Eiffel Tower on a 52 inch screen.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Woof !

Just a Guest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toc De Mac View Post
Thanks Snatcher, I'll have to keep that solution in mind (who knows, if Alizée releases another en concert film, I might just have to splurge on a new DVD player).
Keep in mind that standards conversion (especially these "Toys R Us" types in those DVD players)
will degrade the quality enormous, because of time stretching and resolution scaling.
The result would be disappointing.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Schwazzy, baby !

The Cap is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Guest View Post
Keep in mind that standards conversion (especially these "Toys R Us" types in those DVD players)
will degrade the quality enormous, because of time stretching and resolution scaling.
The result would be disappointing.
Not always true, actually. Any name-brand DVD player capable of (1) playing PAL video, and (2) sending that video signal through it's NTSC outputs after conversion should produce acceptable (at worst) image and sound quality. However, there are caveats to observe : (1) "Name-brand" DVD hardware is important - cheap players from lower-quality manufacturers can produce inferior video output after conversion, and (2) even quality players can handle aspect ratios and cropping incorrectly, such that you may not be seeing the entire video frame on your NTSC display.

I'm using good quality NTSC equipment from Sony and Panasonic, but both brands are painfully strict about NOT being at all compatible with PAL in any shape or form. So, after my French "En Concert" DVD arrived from amazon.fr back in 2006, I spent a some time learning how to re-master the disc to NTSC standards. I even re-authored the menus into English, except for the song selection menus, which I left in French but added better menu highlighting. The overall result has some nearly unnoticeable color noise (due to some small compression required during format conversion), but I'm quite satisfied with how it all turned out.

It was a lot of learning and hard work, but I can enjoy "En Concert" and the extras on NTSC equipment with little quality loss.