Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 08-20-2007, 10:58 PM

riva2model64 is on a distinguished road
Default Computer Question

So I bought all the parts for a new system, but there is one little problem.
I have MSI P35 Platinum motherboard and a GeForce 8800 GTS, and the southbridge heatsink prevents proper installation of an 8800 GTS, because it gets in the way of the video card's heatsink. Here's a picture from a hardwaresecrets.com article, since I don't have pic of it myself just yet.

One solution to the problem is to install the 8800 GTS on the second PCI-e slot, but that renders the two PCI slots unusable, and I need those PCI slots.

Another solution would be to install an aftermarket cooler on the 8800 GTS, one that doesn't conflict with the southbridge heatsink. There's only one such cooler I'm aware of, the Thermalright HR-03 Plus. If there are any other coolers for the 8800 serie, I'd be very much obliged to have such info disclosed to me.

What would you advise me to do in this situation?

Last edited by riva2model64; 08-20-2007 at 11:11 PM..
Old 08-20-2007, 11:13 PM
alizée ninja

brad is on a distinguished road

buy a different motherboard
Old 08-20-2007, 11:26 PM

lohssanami is on a distinguished road

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...m/972005566831

Oops...if you could return either one, I would go that route and either find a video card that will fit that you like or a different motherboard that has what you need, except for the infringing southbridge heatsink.

I always recommend not to "void the warranty" by altering or modding an expensive piece of hardware. I see hardware everyday that fails in a short time, and it sucks to be out the money if they inspect the card and find anything wrong.

You can always get the HR-03 (the only one I know of for replacement), and just keep your stock heatsink and replace it on the card if it goes bad. Then send it back for warranty replacement. As long as you don't damage the sink when you take it off, they may not be able to tell you removed it (hopefully).
Old 08-21-2007, 12:04 AM

I sent an RMA request to zipzoomfly about the motherboard with the reason being the installation issue, but it was not honored. well, it's a nice motherboard otherwise, and keeping it would be nice.

I consider myself a novice when it comes to computers, but I had a good experience with an aftermarket cooler. I had a friend install a Zalman VF700Cu on a Radeon 9800, and it has run stably for years, and the new cooler improved 3dmark05 scores somehow by close to 300 marks(!) The only thing is that the Thermalright HR-03 is kinda pricey, and it doesn't come with a fan. bracket supports 92mm fan. know any good fans? I heard the Panaflo 92mm is a nice fan.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:10 AM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

If your fully compatible graphics card doesn't fit in your fully compatible motherboard, then somebody isn't complying to standards. Somebody who is not you is at fault, and I recommend you exchange something. I guess it's easier to pick out a new motherboard?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:52 AM

lamedog is on a distinguished road

This is a costly yet great way/method to use if you ever want to max out your cpu/graphics and I am sure you have probaly considered it.

Get Water Cooling. Even if its just for the graphics card - this will save a little space since the 8800 fans are massive. However as you might know water cooling does come at a price so just an extra option to keep in mind and water cooling is reusable. Every time you upgrade, you may have to buy a new cpu/gpu block but thats all - the pump, radiator and such like can be kept.

Well I'm sure you know about it - Just another option.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 AM

the mobo and graphics card are indeed fully compatible, and if u angle it right, the vid card does display a vga signal, but is not seated securely at all.

and on the contrary, I don't know anything about water cooling. From what I've heard of water cooling, it's cooling performance is much better than air, it can be a hassle, and is very expensive. inexperienced though I am, I am willing to try all avenues to solve my problem. I will look into water cooling.