Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

View Poll Results: AAm may award Alizée an Artistic Grant of €1000+. What is the MOST you pledge for it?
€ 0 = US$ 0.00 27 52.94%
€ 5 = US$ 6.70 2 3.92%
€ 10 = US$ 13.40 5 9.80%
€ 20 = US$ 26.81 8 15.69%
€ 50 = US$ 67.04 4 7.84%
€ 120+ = US$ 160.88+ 5 9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Doc, it's still a dumb idea. Sorry, got to call it as I see it. I used to work in advertising once upon a time, and there was a saying: Nothing kills a bad product like good advertising. You have a bad product. Your good advertising is accomplishing nothing except to make that obvious.

I do appreciate the fact that I now have a CD of UEDS autographed in gold ink on my bookshelf, and I do feel a need to reciprocate, but I will do that on my own. I also understand the desire to do something collectively to show appreciation. I simply think it should be something with a little more class.

I like the billboard idea. Even better might be a coordinated campaign to introduce her music to its appropriate audience in the U.S. But I am not going to simply give her money, and I don't think anyone else should, either.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 04-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYGOGT View Post
I was wondering the same thing, also I wonder what the costs are to advertise in the movie theaters.
Well, if we made an incredibly stupid video of Wasabi biting Fall's finger while he get's his leg caught in a basketball hoop playing trampoline-basketball with Ruroshen and Doc while they all lip-sync "Dragostea Din Tei" and play it on their keyboards with their cats in a high-pitched voice and Plaz sits in a highchair giggling uncontrollably... and post it on youtube.

We could do it, everybody send in your video clips

Were gonna make a montage, MONTAGE! Always fade out of a montage......
Old 04-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdan View Post
Don't be offended Docdtv, but my first reaction is still Deepwaters one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
Docdtv:

No matter how much verbiage you present in its support, or how eloquent you become, it's still a dumb idea. Please let it be diverted into something that might not be such a dumb idea.

Thanks.

But anyway, to be clear, all I argue about is
1/ Alizée réaction
As I said ,especially if she don't get your "Artistic Grant concept", she could be surprised ...maybe more... But , to be less negative, she could also just laugh and say " Those crazy americans ! " . In any case, it will not help , i think.

2/ The media ( french one first)
I'm pretty sure they will not speak about it, and if they do, it will not be the way you want it.

So, the closest principle I found to your idea is http://www.mymajorcompany.com/
Here, you send money to participate to the music project of a new artist. Which means your becoming one of hundred of "little" producers of the album to come.
it will be the best thing to do, to help an artist to create his album. (here, you help a project , not a person, and you receive dividends if it sell well)

Unfortunatly, Institubes seems not working like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdtv View Post
I said that if any enduring contact emerged between Alizee America and the Alizee entourage, we needed a FRENCH member of Alizee America to act as what in diplomatic circles is called the "Honorary Counsel" - a native national, whom the foreign entity trusts to intermediate. In fact, I nominated a certain Parisian you know very well.
Well, I am flattered ... But I'm not sure I want to have such "official" responsabilies... anyway, on limited actions, i can offer you some help.
The best I can do , I think its to give you some advices about some strange rituals and way of thinking of French Tribes...

Quote:
With similar conditions in both France and the United States, since the latter has 5 times as many people, it will be 5 times as rich in total - but not per capita. I do not know for sure how knowledgeable either average French or American people are. But is it possible French think Americans are richer and Americans think French are richer?

I was not speaking about the real conditions of each countries... Only about the cliché we ( as French) or French media use to have...

(I don't say that's what Alizée think, just the way popular media will chose to present it.)

One again , my opinion is that our goddess need more buzz than money.
And she need it NOW. ( when the news about her return are still fresh.
I was at first intrigued by the idea but I have been convinced of Bigdan's arguments, as have other members that have reiterated good arguments; Lefty and Deep come to mind after skimming back through the tread.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:11 PM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Just thought some people in this thread might find this interesting. I found it at disqueenfrance.com, a web site listing music sales classifications and stuff like that.
Investing In Music

Merci Fanny
Old 04-27-2010, 01:36 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
I was at first intrigued by the idea but I have been convinced of Bigdan's arguments, as have other members that have reiterated good arguments; Lefty and Deep come to mind after skimming back through the tread.
Bigdan convinced me as well. No direct donation.

I am still willing to participate in something, but it must go to support her artistic endeavors in a meaningful way.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Just thought some people in this thread might find this interesting. I found it at disqueenfrance.com, a web site listing music sales classifications and stuff like that.
Investing In Music
Nice PR piece.

However, Courtney Love gave a blistering speech at some music event in 2000 where she explained that the system is rigged so "the artist almost never gets paid." That million dollars they cite as cost for a new artist is expected to be returned - out of the Artist's cut.

Last edited by Rev; 04-27-2010 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 04-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Hero

Nafas is on a distinguished road

Music should be free, its art and art is priceless so.. I think things like thepiratebay and other torrent sites should be a way for artist to promote emselfs... like Alizée herself stated in technicart she also downloads, especialy films (so she aslo downloads music) Artist should make money with concerts and live preformaces...

- Veni Vedi Vici
Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile Please vote in this poll if you received an autographed CD!

For years, Alizée America has sought some more intimate contact with Alizée, whom many members have said is an extraordinary artist. When the opportunity to meet with her upon release of her latest album emerged and one of our number, Scruffydog, set out to pilgrimage to Paris to get a few CDs autographed, I inquired of the hosting venue what numerical quota would apply.

To our amazed delight, we were told that as a great kindness, Alizée and her entourage would meet privately with us for an entire half-hour and autograph 50 CDs. Rather than refuse this extraordinary service as disproportionate to our passion and commitment, we instead leapt at the opportunity and shamelessly exploited every liberty and favor we were granted at the session.

First was what our amateur status as show-businesspeople would testify was impertinent advice to the Alizée team (including the Open Letter pledging to assist Alizée as her team directs, through our supposedly valuable service). Second was extensive photography of a world-famous professional model who kindly posed and spoke as she was requested. Third and last was the original grant of 50 autographed CDs, which to our long-delayed apprehension included extraordinary design efforts at customization and glorification.

Whatever Alizée does with the rest of her artistic career and life, no one can say she was only a one-hit wonder. For three years she was a true music star and for a year of that, a super-star as well. I am not a professional artist myself, but for what it is worth, I think she is not only a competent, but a gifted, multidisciplinary artist. It is not impossible that the fickle finger of fate will again point to her and great success can emerge. But in the meantime, those who wish her well want her to continue her artistic odyssey.

I especially marvel at her charismatic appeal as a performer, which is only fully appreciated when she can be seen as well as heard. And as if this were not enough, her wonderful personality and graceful social and family life are a stark contrast to the appalling trainwrecks called lives which not a few other of today's famous entertainers exhibit and thereby aesthetically undermine their presentation to anyone who is neither a stone nor lacks a memory.

As if diminished commercial popularity does not threaten Alizée's artistic future enough, today the inevitable progress of Napsterism, the illicit displacement of revenue-generating licensed music consumption, is making serious inroads into the music business. I think in a few short years, when CD sales have all but vanished, the combined revenue from CD plus "download" sales will be only a tiny fraction of what they are today. When that happens, superstars like Madonna might still be able to mount spectacles at physically sequestered live performance venues, but second-tier entertainers in Alizée's position today will not. They will have to scrap the creation of original music and lyrics, and settle for covering extant songs which they license for performance before small groups, with minimal backing from the special theatrics which made the <i>En Concert</i> presentations so special.

Perhaps it is folly to think that with such small numbers and such limited showbiz skills, the small lot of us in Alizée America who are really involved can make any difference in the future of her career.

Yet I have had the impertinence to outline one strategy of trying to leverage the active and readily identifiable American francophone community in New York City to eventually win Alizée a booking at a 400-seat venue in a distinguished French cultural center there where she could try to sell herself to the important professionals who call the city home - all the same an uphill battle for any French performer, especially a singer. And even doing this would take a year or more to accomplish, if it could be done at all with so few of us now active in and near the city.

Thus I feel that if we are to be any help at all to Alizée, it would have to be without regard to career possibilities in the United States, and commensurate with our small numbers.

That is why I started inquiring whether what limited money we might raise at once as a group could create a positive impact on Alizée's immediate career prospects. We are so few and her work is so expensive, clearly we alone would have negligible effect on her destiny. But could some gesture we make so testify to the depth of our appreciation of what she has done and still might do, that it inspires large numbers of others in France, Mexico and perhaps other places where she has done very well in the past to take another look at her and support her with new recording and concert sales which sustain and uplift her career?

That is why I created a poll asking our members to pledge financial support for a hypothetical Art Grant, which as I write, has secured pledges from half of those answering. I especially want all those who received a customized CD, whom I christened the Fortunate Fifty, to take part in the poll. They are especially obligated to support Alizée for the extraordinary indulgence of the half-hour private session, the market value of whose produce I have elsewhere argued had a potential market value well in excess of 1000 Euros.

The structure of vBulletin prevents me from rephrasing the exact question asked, as well it should. For if I could corrupt it, I would be misrepresenting the meaning of the votes already cast. I suspect I will soon create another poll, but it would be extremely helpful if the Fortunate Fifty each spent a minute answering the extant poll as spadework. The poll is anonymous, so please do answer truthfully.

The poll elicited a lengthy and sometimes passionate discussion in this thread which has had the salubrious effect of exposing many vehicles people are trying to launch to subsidize the production of new art in the face of Napsterism. It has also reformed my specific recommendations for how the Fortunate Fifty might help Alizée. Believe me, from the outset I was hardly unaware of how my original suggestion could work to Alizée's disadvantage, as I documented in one of my previous posts.

My present recommendation to the Fortunate Fifty and those who choose to join us is to establish a small (€1000+) scholarship in Alizée's name at the theatrical school at which she studied, as a celebration of her ten-year anniversary in showbiz this July. It both testifies to the passionate appreciation we few here have for Alizée, and more importantly, <b>establishes a financial value for her time as a famous, celebrated guest, a designer and a model, which her business agents might monetize</b> as do innumerable other people who earn a living doing those very things. I hope this has no small potential to supplement the income which is lost as it becomes increasingly impossible to charge people for the music they choose to enjoy, but refuse to buy.

So please do vote now in the poll at the top of this thread. Thank you! I joined the others in pledging money for an Art Grant for the same reason I would support a museum, the opera or help fund the Nobel Prize.

P.S. I will imminently contact each of the Fortunate Fifty and point at this posting, which is the reason I have published it.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

17 out of 37 is not 50%.

No, no, and no.

And doc, I would recommend making your pitch a little shorter. More people might read it.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 PM

sumi1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To our amazed delight, we were told that as a great kindness, Alizée and her entourage would meet privately with us for an entire half-hour and autograph 50 CDs. Rather than refuse this extraordinary service as disproportionate to our passion and commitment, we instead leapt at the opportunity and shamelessly exploited every liberty and favor we were granted at the session.
You are making it look like as if we took an undue advantage of her. We all were fortunate enough to be granted this once in a lifetime opportunity by her, but the way you have mentioned here, I just found it insulting to Her Grace and all other involved who made this event possible(that includes you too).

Quote:
They are especially obligated to support Alizée for the extraordinary indulgence of the half-hour private session, the market value of whose produce I have elsewhere argued had a potential market value well in excess of 1000 Euros.
First of all the gifts we got from her are invaluable. Atleast for me. 1000 Euros or 100,000 Euros -- you simply can not estimate their value.
I also do want to support her in every possible and sensible way. And sorry to say, what ever you are proposing does not fall into that category. The way Scruffy is planning to thank her through Facebook is an excellent idea. That conveys our feelings well enough and no amount of money can match that.

Quote:
17 out of 37 is not 50%.

No, no, and no.
Agreed.
Quote:
And doc, I would recommend making your pitch a little shorter. More people might read it.
Yes please. Brevity is the soul of wit
Old 04-27-2010, 06:33 PM
>9K

AlizéeInspired is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My present recommendation to the Fortunate Fifty and those who choose to join us is to establish a small (€1000+) scholarship in Alizée's name at the theatrical school at which she studied, as a celebration of her ten-year anniversary in showbiz this July.
After reading doc's novel, I find that you if you don't feel like reading it, you should at least read this from it (above).

At first, I voted € 0 = US$ 0.00 because of reasons others had pointed out. How she may be offended, the best way to support her is buy her music, and more.

But I see what doc is saying. I think it would be a nice gesture to donate at least a small donation of €1000 to the theatrical school at which she studied. I can't afford to donate much right now so my donation would be small (maybe € 20 - 30).

Tags
art, grant, money, patronage, theft