Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 02-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALS View Post
The problems was or appears that they didn't even try to break into America.

If some one could have gotten her on Saturday Night Live back in 2003 in that J'en ai marre out fit, she would have been the talk of the town after performing J'en ai marre and J'ai Pas Vingt Ans.
And that could have been the beginning of my fandom with her...

But see if this had happened, then the world would have exploded...

Anyway on a more serious note...yeah she could have been big...not much more to say...
Old 02-27-2011, 02:43 PM

JoeNY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
I know what you're saying, but I would also point out that the future isn't written yet. Alizée's situation may not be as solid as it was back in 2003, but I think all options are still open to her, even if they may be harder to achieve. And who knows, maybe she is better equipped to deal with things now that she is older.

I'm not saying that having Alizée come to the US is likely, I'm just saying that no doors are closed to her, yet. And of course we don't know for sure what she wants to do. She has made comments that one could argue either way.
A belated surge in Alizee-mania in the U.S. like Mexico is too much to ask for? I know Alizee is gaining a bigger American audience every day thanks to Youtube and Google. However, that audience is mostly for Alizee's earlier work with Mylene. I know when I first saw Alizee on Youtube back in 2007, I was immediately floored and wanted to know everything about her. Unfortunately, I've just been lining the pockets of Mylene with my Alizee CDs and DVD purchases since then.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNY View Post
Unfortunately, I've just been lining the pockets of Mylene with my Alizee CDs and DVD purchases since then.
This will help you sleep better at night.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I know it's crying over spilled milk and hindsight is 20/20, but Alizee could've been huge in the U.S. in the early 2000s. I think Alizee would have been an international star because she alone transcends the language barrier and music genre. You cannot help but love her image, voice, and personality even if you don't understand French or like pop music. I don't think Mylene Farmer even imagined that potential with Alizee, or maybe she felt tackling the big fish in the U.S. was too much to ask from a 16-year old. I have sifted through the music of other contemporary French artists, and I cannot see anyone other than Alizee who could succeed in the U.S. - not Jenifer, not Mylene, not Superbus. There was an anti-French sentiment in the U.S. around 2003 because of their anti-war stance on Iraq. I don't know if that had any effect on Mylene's decision to keep Alizee out of the U.S. Our loss. Even though Alizee is only 26 and far from finished in the music industry, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity in the U.S. that may have passed her.
It was before 2003 bud, months after the day that "we will never forget" is when America went from Pro France to Anti France. If Alizee was ever starting to get some fame in the US in 2000, it was extinguished immediately in 2001 and never allowed to light again. If history was to change I still dont think she would be that popular here; she would be as popular as she is in England today and maybe even less so.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
It was before 2003 bud, months after the day that "we will never forget" is when America went from Pro France to Anti France. If Alizee was ever starting to get some fame in the US in 2000, it was extinguished immediately in 2001 and never allowed to light again. If history was to change I still dont think she would be that popular here; she would be as popular as she is in England today and maybe even less so.
Whatever Katy Perry's popularity is in the U.S., Alizee's would be far greater here. And capturing even a small part of the U.S. population as fans is a big deal. There's over 300 million people here. And 5% of fans in the U.S. is equivalent to 25% in Britain. Alizee is irresistable, and Americans are not immune to her charms.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Whatever Katy Perry's popularity is in the U.S., Alizee's would be far greater here. And capturing even a small part of the U.S. population as fans is a big deal. There's over 300 million people here. And 5% of fans in the U.S. is equivalent to 25% in Britain. Alizee is irresistable, and Americans are not immune to her charms.
That's all nice but your pulling out hypothetical percents lol. There is no guarantee she would even get 0.001% of the US population as her fans. Even when she was at her peak in success in England, she didn't have very many fans! Today she is nearly all but forgotten in England and declining slowly in France.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:29 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's all nice but your pulling out hypothetical percents lol. There is no guarantee she would even get 0.001% of the US population as her fans. Even when she was at her peak in success in ENGLAND, she didn't have very many fans! Today she is nearly all but forgotten in ENGLAND and declining slowly in France.
What you mean FRA is the UK.
England is only a part of the country.
And...yes....i know i'm being pedantic
Old 02-27-2011, 06:19 PM
Mr. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkmale View Post
What you mean FRA is the UK.
England is only a part of the country.
And...yes....i know i'm being pedantic
Lol its kool man. The reason I keep saying England and not the United Kingdom is becuase she was popular in England only to my knowledge, not in Wales, Scotland, or Ireland. Correct me if im wrong

Old 02-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Junkmale is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lol its kool man. The reason I keep saying England and not the United Kingdom is becuase she was popular in England only to my knowledge, not in Wales, Scotland, or Ireland. Correct me if im wrong

You are FRA.
Moi did very well in the UK singles charts (not sure what number it ended up as?).
UK sales charts are taken from total sales throughout the UK i.e. England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands etc. The figures don't take into account which area of the UK sold the most copies. Their is NO seperate chart position for England only.
The Republic of Ireland, as a foreign country, have their own charts.
110% no offence intended!!!

As an aside i been trying to work out how many other songs with French lyrics have been hits here in the UK.
Just remembered this one -

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mwFhRigCHzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Junkmale; 02-27-2011 at 07:45 PM..
Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 PM

Just to prove my point about Alizee being an unrivaled international French star, the top 10 Youtube videos for Alizee have had over 95 million views with her live performance of Jen ai' Marre getting almost 16 million views alone. Mylene Farmer's top 10 most viewed Youtube videos combined for a total 8 million views. And most of the comments on her videos are in French which tells me she mostly captures the French-speaking markets - France and Canada. I'd say the majority of comments for Alizee's videos are in English (and some Spanish, Russian, and even Chinese/Japanese/Korean). Of course, views don't necessarily translate to album sales and $$$, but exposure is everything in the music business.

Too bad we don't have any mega-record stores in NYC anymore. I could imagine Alizee having a CD-signing in the now-closed Virgin Records store in Union Square and selling 5000 copies of UEDS in one day. Well, as many as she could sign. I would stand in line for hours for my one chance to see her in person.

Last edited by JoeNY; 03-05-2011 at 08:30 PM..