Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Translations

Old 04-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Κάτσε Καλά!

garçoncanadien is on a distinguished road
Default Anthony's Analysis of the song Abracadabra

Source : nidalizee.com

« Abracadabra » where the relationship between Alizée and media comes before reality… Therefore, what is this mysterious song that is positioned 8th in the slightly sour “Gourmandises” candy of our National Lolita? Is this, like some say, “a filler” that could serve to unite Alizée’s first album to the second half of 2000 as fast as possible? No! This is no longer the silliness of the album. Quite the contrary…

"Abracadabra" in the first place, perfectly complements the spirit of the album « Gourmandises », its vocabulary being that of candy, and like everybody knows, Alizée is a sucker for candy! Don’t see this as a simple text telling the story of a little girl’s candies, this would insult Mylène Farmer, the author of this text. So, what secrets does this text behold?...
In order to understand the main idea it is necessary to decode the “Abracadabra”. This magical formula hides something essential to the understanding of the text. Let’s remember the context of its writing: Alizée starts to seriously get involved in the PAF (French Media Scene) and national radios, with a consequence that multiple interviews and articles about the singer were created. She herself does this exercise. The text translates this relationship “Alizée/Media”. The Abracadabra is therefore the virtual identity of the media.

The song starts with quite a startling feline introduction, (of which we have the following hypothesis: the cat represents the medias behavior towards Alizée) “My humor and me, let’s change our skin each time that Abracadabra sees my disheveled heart, my mood and me, change each time that Abracadabra sees my heart in shambles, my mood is the colour of jellybeans” Alizée can be pretty intolerant towards criticism, she is oversensitive and this is how her heart can be found in a state of appeasement instead of enthusiasm (the multiple colours of jellybean candies reflects the multiple states of her soul).

“When my heart beats, I make up a thing that leaves them speechless” In order to release herself from the stress and the fright of having to confront public life (through media and the objectivity that they don’t use too much) Alizée stammers (“I make up”), words that block the interviewer.

“Abracadabrant, maybe… but for me its very seductive without a dye” The comparison with Mylène Farmer is constantly present in the first interviews, to the point of being a bit of a put-off. Alizée gets herself out by her words of her artistic godmother by saying that she can be just as seductive as her without resembling her.

“My mood and me, change each time Abracadabra sees my heart in a puddle, my mood is the color of Tagada candy” When her heart is “in a puddle”, which easily seems to translate as her sadness, Alizée feels bothered that she shares it with the media (Abracadabra) and her mood translates it (the colour of the strawberry tagada candy is red, the metaphor is brought to the extreme and we find a real heart in a puddle that makes the red blood of Alizée’s sadness flow).

“With crossed arms, if I fall down, if it is a problem I don’t eat anymore” Alizée surprises herself while savouring a ton of candy, each one being more delicious than the previous one, this is a metaphor aiming to say that the media (in this case more precisely the paparazzis) would surprise the singer while making a worrying thing and we don’t take it a second time. And this was confirmed in reality.

“Abracadabra Patipatata, of sorcery, even if it doesn’t work » To finish, Alizée throws out a “Patipatata” to this “bitch of a press”. In other words “Keep on talking!”. The metaphor of sorcery represents superstition (which quite a number of the population of the Island of Beauty have) that Alizée has in herself. This last couplet is definitely a wiseness that Alizée acquires later in her career.

Conclusion: Alizée learns to flatter the cat /abracadabra (the media) who, moreover, will allow her a stronger meow at the end of the song.

Emilie (ideas) & Anthony (putting it into form) ... http://www.pardonnenous.com
Old 04-28-2007, 09:22 PM
You ain't seen nothin yet

Joey_adore_Jung is on a distinguished road

dude this is awesome man keep the stuff coming gets more interesting man
Old 04-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Κάτσε Καλά!

garçoncanadien is on a distinguished road

srry there is only 1 more
Old 04-28-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm not 20.

Zack -Alizee Lover- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garçoncanadien View Post
You might wanna add the jeam translation as well garco, i read it long time ago in another thread, but it would be nice to have it here in the translations thread
Old 04-28-2007, 11:16 PM
You ain't seen nothin yet

Joey_adore_Jung is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by garçoncanadien View Post
well that's a bummer i guess i'll have to read the other ones too.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 AM

Melle Katherine is on a distinguished road

I think this song can be about her mood swings too, because she's quite choleric, as far as I know. Btw I like this song, because I love cats btw why are cat sounds in the song?

Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

This has to be a record for the longest time between posts.