5 30 71.43%
Une Enfant Du Siecle 3 7.14%
Psychedelices 9 21.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2013, 11:16 PM
Alizee Fan!

Ali is on a distinguished road
Default Alizee's "5". Your review.

Now, that most of have received your Alizee’s “5” CD, I am wondering what are your guys thoughts on it?

I listened through the entire album from beginning to end after receiving it over the weekend and I think this is her best solo album yet! I am glad I got this autographed CD instead of the Une Enfant Du Siecle album (which I didn’t really like).

I definitely liked the diversity she has in the songs, from pop to a bit of soft rock like in “10 ans”. With up tempo songs like “Le dernier soufflé” to the nice guitar string in “Mon chevalier”. Not to mention very melodic song with a nice piano piece in the background in “Jeune fille “ and the nice soft ending in “Dans mon sac.”

I would also like to add that she still has that cute voice from 10 years ago although it’s a bit mature.

I think after her experimental album (her words) that she had with Une Enfant Du Siecle, I think Alizee is finally figuring out what type of music she wants to make and the direction she wants to take her career in with respect to the type of music she wants to produce.

So, I would give it 4 and ½ stars out of 5. Only thing that is preventing me from giving a full 5 is comparing this to her previous album with Mylene Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat like in MCE, which I think is slightly a step above. Yes, I know it may not be fair comparing her to people who has 10-15+ years in producing and making music, while Alizee has only been solo for 5 years or so. But that’s just what I feel.

Regardless, I really like the entire album, as I stated, it’s easily her best solo album. Really glad got the autographed version. If you were to tell me that I would have gotten an autograph of her 7 years ago when I first came across Alizee, I would have smacked you!

Lastly, as a James Bond fan really like the “Bond” vibe that she had with “A cause de l’automne” in both the music and the video. She would make the perfect Bond girl.

So, what would rate this album? How would you compare it to her previous two solo albums?

PS. Sorry if there’s already a review thread, I only logged in about a week or so ago, so I may have missed a “review” thread.

Last edited by Ali; 05-07-2013 at 11:28 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

A man after my own heart
I agree with almost everything you said dude. I must admit, for a while now I've been having an inner conflict of sorts, trying to decide whether my favorite album is still Psych or is now 5. As far as her best album solo album, I do agree that it is 5. But when it comes to my favorite, I think for now I'll leave it as a tie, because I really do love those two. I said to someone before, I'm not sure to whom, that this is the album that she should have followed MCE with. But I am happy for her, that she explored other sounds before striking gold with 5.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Alizee Fan!

Ali is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall06 View Post
A man after my own heart
I agree with almost everything you said dude. I must admit, for a while now I've been having an inner conflict of sorts, trying to decide whether my favorite album is still Psych or is now 5. As far as her best album solo album, I do agree that it is 5. But when it comes to my favorite, I think for now I'll leave it as a tie, because I really do love those two. I said to someone before, I'm not sure to whom, that this is the album that she should have followed MCE with. But I am happy for her, that she explored other sounds before striking gold with 5.
Yes sir!

I totally agree with your last statement. I think it's important for artists to experiment before deciding what works for them. It's kind of like someone who graduated from College and doesn't know what to do with their lives and tries different things and finally settles on something they like.

I can speak confidently that she likes the direction of her album based on what I heard. I don't anticipate her to go back to making an Une Enfant Du Siecle type of album ever again. And frankly, I think this album has a garnered more positive reviews. Her single even topped the iTunes top 10 chart in France.

I am really happy for her.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 AM

Rocket is on a distinguished road

Since her 'Lolita' days I was worried that Lili would fade away from public. Then came Psychedelices. I think I liked this album because I was so anticipating for this to come. I liked a few songs on it but, somehow, I missed the old style. Then came Une Enfant Du Siecle. The first time I heard it I sorta liked it, but after that, I didn't care to hear it anymore. Today it sits on my CD shelf collecting dust. And now we have 5. I love this album. My two favorites are A cause de L'automne and Mon Chevaliar. I play this album in my car and get my bass on! I hope to hear more of this style from Lili. Either that or some smokey jazz numbers like Temptations. But, for right now, I think she found her niche.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 PM

DannyMac524 is on a distinguished road

5 is a good album. It is the best of the listed in the poll. She definitely has gone back to her roots in this album. For me Gourmandises is still my all time favorite.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

I dunno.. I truly lived and breathed the old days with GMD and MCE.. but if I was a new fan just discovering Alizée right now I guess would be on top of the world with 5.

There's always some magic.

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur
Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

I'm going to pick 5 here as her best solo album. It seems to be the most thought out and planned. It flows from one song to the next, and seems to be one neat package. I enjoy listening to all of the songs on it. Before it released, I had hoped that she would sing with all she has in at least most of the songs, the way she did during the Goldman special when she sang part of his song La vie par procuration. I think that would have made the album more popular, but that's just my thought. Still, I enjoy listening to her sing just about anything, and knowing that for the most part that she chose the songs to include on her solo albums makes them seem more special to me.

But there are songs on all of her other four albums and performances on the En Concert CD that really enjoy listening to as well. So I don't have a favorite album.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 PM
For me... formidable

SpanishFan is on a distinguished road

Maybe I am the only one, but my vote is for Psychedelices. The potential to be very successful was there, but poor decisions ruined it.

5 is a better product, it is being supported by Sony, there are more work and attention to details and better sound and production than in Psychedelices. What I am trying to say is that 5 is probably as good as it could be, all the potential is out there and in a proffesional way.

That was not the case with Psychedelices. In my humble opinion:

-For me, the best song of both albums is Par les paupieres. But it was not even a single in Psychedelices, that hurt at the time.

- I consider Psychedelices the last album where Alizée did dance and choreographies. But they could have been way better. I never understood how someone who is a dancer, a good and a goodlooking one, does not make a better use of that aspect, when nowdays it is an important visual part of any show. She does not need to dance around semi naked, but she should use the dance to make her product, her image, her brand, bigger, better and especially when you don't play an instrument or have Adele's voice...

-Image: She looks very good now, great choice of make up, dresses, shoes, hair style, etc... It was not the case in Psychedelices, she could look so much better... but she had this kind of "I don't care" way of dressing that it was not a good match with her album at the time...

She is wiser now and has Sony help backing her for 5, which maybe is her best solo album but I still prefer Psychedelices hence my vote. She probably learned a lot from it, too.

Sorry about all the offtopics, but I felt like writing about those things
Old 05-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishFan View Post
Maybe I am the only one, but my vote is for Psychedelices. The potential to be very successful was there, but poor decisions ruined it.

5 is a better product, it is being supported by Sony, there are more work and attention to details and better sound and production than in Psychedelices. What I am trying to say is that 5 is probably as good as it could be, all the potential is out there and in a proffesional way.

That was not the case with Psychedelices. In my humble opinion:

-For me, the best song of both albums is Par les paupieres. But it was not even a single in Psychedelices, that hurt at the time.

- I consider Psychedelices the last album where Alizée did dance and choreographies. But they could have been way better. I never understood how someone who is a dancer, a good and a goodlooking one, does not make a better use of that aspect, when nowdays it is an important visual part of any show. She does not need to dance around semi naked, but she should use the dance to make her product, her image, her brand, bigger, better and especially when you don't play an instrument or have Adele's voice...

-Image: She looks very good now, great choice of make up, dresses, shoes, hair style, etc... It was not the case in Psychedelices, she could look so much better... but she had this kind of "I don't care" way of dressing that it was not a good match with her album at the time...

She is wiser now and has Sony help backing her for 5, which maybe is her best solo album but I still prefer Psychedelices hence my vote. She probably learned a lot from it, too.

Sorry about all the offtopics, but I felt like writing about those things
I agree with just about everything you said. I went with "5" because for me, personally, I think it has the edge over Psych. I still think Psych is a very good album. And I agree wholeheartedly that Par les paupieres has probably been the best song from her solo albums. As a matter of fact, I think it rates right up there as one of her best from all her albums.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Blacksmith/knifemaker

woohoo is on a distinguished road

I just got my box and got to listen to the album and I love it. I think 10 ans is my favorite for now. Just love the way she says 10 ans. I think this album is better than Une Enfant Du Siecle but on par with Psychedelices. There are just more songs that click with me on 5 that Une Enfant Du Siecle.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nickwoo2