Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road
Default "If You Really Knew Me" - Challenge Day.

We watched this video last week in Family and Consumer Sciences to go along with our unit on communicating effectively with others. It was very striking and eye-opening; I wish we could get this at our school but unfortunately we don't have the sufficient funds to do so. I encourage you guys to watch this video. Skim over it, watch it in full length - whatever you'd like.

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:videolist:mtv.com:1644038" width="512" height="319" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashVars="configParams=id%3D1644038%26uri%3Dmgid% 3Auma%3Avideolist%3Amtv.com%3A1644038" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="."></embed><div style="margin:0px;padding:4px;width:500px;text-align:center;font-family:Verdana,sans-serif;font-size:12px;"><a href="http://www.mtv.com/shows/if_you_really_knew_me/series.jhtml" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">If You Really Knew Me</a> - <a href="http://www.mtv.com/ontv/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">MTV Shows</a></div>

More than anything I have noticed that this world is so barren of love and understanding. Think about it.. going about your activities day to day, when you see people in your office, in the streets, or in your classrooms at school, would you be willing to take this person's hand and say, "I am here for you"? It doesn't have to be someone you know.. you don't have to be there as a friend. Just a compassionate human being.

How quick are you to judge others by their appearance, their clothing, their color, their religion? These judgements have become so common in our society that we do it without even knowing it. People don't seem to realize just how silly and ignorant such judgements are. You don't know that person over there, the one hunched over his lunch, afraid to look anyone in the eye, so how do you know he's "weird" or that he has any less of a right to be loved and accepted than you do? You don't. And how do you know the girl over there, with the nicest clothes, the best car, the richest parents, the most friends, is above the things you may go through? I guarantee that at one time or another that girl has felt alone, scared, depressed.. we all have.

I have taken it upon myself to have my own version of Challenge Day, every day of my life. I will give a smile and a "good morning" to people I never previously talked to yet see every day in class; I will sit with someone who has no one else to sit with at lunch. I will be there for anyone who may need it, as a friend and as a compassionate human being. You would be surprised at how easily a few friendly words and a smile can make somebody's day.

What do you guys think about Challenge Day? Will you accept the challenge?

Last of all, I want anyone reading this to know that if you ever have a problem, if you feel lost or alone, I will be here. And always know that no matter who you are, you are loved - by family, by friends. You are an amazing person.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée

Last edited by Azhiri; 10-26-2010 at 12:21 AM..
Old 10-26-2010, 12:20 AM
i'm...PSYCHODELICIOUS.

Människöpesten is on a distinguished road

Make hate, not love. /THREAD
but seriously, it's an interesting idea and a challenge i'll take. /warface
but i'm scary. might backfire.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

You know Azhiri, you are something.

I don't want to sound like an old man or anything, but I really hope that high school goes well for you. I mean, you're so bright and compassionate, and I'd hate to see that taken from you. There are a lot of kids in high school who will see that as a sign of weakness and try to take advantage of you or just try to prove you wrong for the sake of it.

I actually met my best friend this way. He had just moved in from Kentucky, so he didn't have any friends, he was very skinny and kind of awkward I guess. But we both had orchestra together and lunch right after. After orchestra, I would go and sit with my buddies that I've known throughout middle school, while my future best friend would sit alone at the middle of the table. One day though, after orchestra, I invited him to sit with us, but he was very shy, and refused. This repeated many times until one day, after I got to know him a bit, I just went up to him as he sat there alone, took his lunch and made him sit with me. Kind of a dick move? Maybe.

But either way, we ended up becoming very close friends. After that episode, we had lunch together everyday and at the end of the quarters, hang out, we would walk home together rather than take the bus, we practice our music together, and even went out to competitions playing duets and stuff together. Which I think he did out of loyalty more than anything, for he was a LOT better than me. Throughout high school we helped each other out with the hardships that comes with high school: girls(he was shocking successful in this department.. whereas I wasn't. ), social awkwardness, high school drama, pressure to "fit in", and of course the massive stress of getting accepted to college. But of course, we've had our battles as well. I mean, I'm very hardcore conservative, whereas he's more liberal, but that doesn't faze us. Even now, he's still my best friend. I go to the University of Illinois, while he goes to Luther in Iowa. He's currently in England right now, but we still stay in touch. I LOVE THAT GUY <3

So I think this is a great idea Azhiri!

Who knows, that shy and awkward guy may just end up being your best friend. It worked for me, so maybe it'll work for you.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:44 AM

Manni: Good for you, warface and all.

Wasabi: Why, thank yas.

That is a wonderful story. Good for you for taking the initiative to talk to him, have him sit with you.. and it led to an awesome friendship.

And there are the poor, sad people who spite others just because. I feel sorry for them, it's almost like they have a disease. I haven't had many run-ins with those people and when I did, I brushed them off.. so high school has gone smoothly for me so far! Knock on wood, heheh.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 10-26-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
Manni: Good for you, warface and all.

Wasabi: Why, thank yas.

That is a wonderful story. Good for you for taking the initiative to talk to him, have him sit with you.. and it led to an awesome friendship.

And there are the poor, sad people who spite others just because. I feel sorry for them, it's almost like they have a disease. I haven't had many run-ins with those people and when I did, I brushed them off.. so high school has gone smoothly for me so far! Knock on wood, heheh.
I might've have just written it because I miss him so much right now.

I don't know if it's normal for a guy to be so open about his friendships, but eh, I am. *shrug*

There's actually a female cadet in the battalion that just joined this semester who is really quiet. My sister has approached her but apparently that just angered her. So I'm not sure if she's really shy or literally anti-social.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
I don't know if it's normal for a guy to be so open about his friendships, but eh, I am. *shrug*
I think it's great!

Quote:
There's actually a female cadet in the battalion that just joined this semester who is really quiet. My sister has approached her but apparently that just angered her. So I'm not sure if she's really shy or literally anti-social.
Some people just need time to warm up to everyone, I guess. Maybe she wants to be left alone.. either way, can't hurt to try.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
I think it's great!
Hahaa, thanks.

Quote:
Some people just need time to warm up to everyone, I guess. Maybe she wants to be left alone.. either way, can't hurt to try.
I thought that might be the case, but we've been through so much as a battalion.. we've had 3 PT sessions every week, we've had lab every week, we've gone through the CWST(Combat water survival test), the fall semester ftx(Field training exercise), as well as various other activities. And still, I haven't heard her say a word, nor has anyone else for that matter.

Maybe she'll just have to learn the hard way that you can't survive in the Army as a loner..

Old 10-26-2010, 01:45 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

I try to be the person that will give you a blunt and honest (and hopefully logical) opinion.

If someone comes (and did) to me concerned with their boyfriend is cheating on her, I'm not going to give the average "maybe he's just not right for you, you're better than him" bullshit, I'm going to give the facts and say "He's jealous because you've been spending so much time with the foreign exchange guy, I mean don't you guys tutor each other twice a week or something? And by the way, you're barely 15, worry about this shit later in life".

Sure, it makes me look like a dick, but I pride myself on being honest.

Edit:

I think I watched a few minutes of that show once...

It kinda made me mad... this one episode had a girl who did drugs because her mom did, and used that as an excuse... wouldn't common sense and an instinctual feeling of motivation make you try your absolute hardest to be better than her?

Last edited by user472884; 10-26-2010 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 10-26-2010, 02:46 AM

Wow, so I guess mtv does have decent shows on it after all.

I actually sat and watched through the entire show, and I have to say, it was really something to see what all those students went through at such a young age. I mean, drive bys and suicides? That's tough stuff.. I know it sounds cliche, but I had no idea that it was such a common issue(the suicides, not the drive bys). I lived in a "wealthier" town, so we didn't have drive bys, but I'm sure we have just as many issues.

Thankfully my high school wasn't overly divided into cliques, but they did exist nonetheless.. this makes me rethink my stupid dislike towards my own race. I've always joked about it, but if you really think about.. it's really narrow minded of me.

I wish we could do this "If you really knew me", but with internet anonymity, I don't know how serious people will take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
I think I watched a few minutes of that show once...

It kinda made me mad... this one episode had a girl who did drugs because her mom did, and used that as an excuse... wouldn't common sense and an instinctual feeling of motivation make you try your absolute hardest to be better than her?
Common sense doesn't really exist, we assume it's common sense. What seems logical to one isn't necessarily logically to someone else.

Who knows, maybe she saw it as something that connected her to her mother. Maybe she didn't want to be different from her mother, maybe she wanted to be more like her. We can never really understand what she was thinking and going through.

Last edited by wasabi622; 10-26-2010 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have taken it upon myself to have my own version of Challenge Day, every day of my life. I will give a smile and a "good morning" to people I never previously talked to yet see every day in class; I will sit with someone who has no one else to sit with at lunch. I will be there for anyone who may need it, as a friend and as a compassionate human being. You would be surprised at how easily a few friendly words and a smile can make somebody's day.

What do you guys think about Challenge Day? Will you accept the challenge?

Last of all, I want anyone reading this to know that if you ever have a problem, if you feel lost or alone, I will be here. And always know that no matter who you are, you are loved - by family, by friends. You are an amazing person.
One thing I've learned about programs such as this "Challenge Day" program is that the benefits can fade with time. In order for them to have a lasting effect, they need to be reinforced on a regular basis, otherwise people will slowly revert back to their old ways. That's why I really like your commitment to having your own "Challenge Day" every day. That's what keeps it alive.

Azhiri, you seem to be a pretty incredible person.

Tags
challenge day mtv