Uber Leet Member

Geech is on a distinguished road

OMFG that was great!!!
Old 01-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
Since my stuff isn't technically copyrited yet, I've been a bit nervous about posting any of it.
CFH, the moment you make a tangible copy of your musical work (like sheet music or a recording) it is automatically copyrighted. Registering the copyright is not required, but it is necessary if you need to file a lawsuit against someone for infringement. It costs $45.00 to register a song. I do mine as a complete CD rather than each individual song. That way I can copyright a bunch of songs, the performance, and the sound recording all at once for one fee. It saves me a lot of money, but there are issues to consider doing it that way. Check this out for more info. http://www.copyright.gov/
Old 01-14-2007, 04:25 PM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road

I love that show!
Old 01-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Administrator

By the way, CFH, I really enjoyed your version of "Heart and Soul".

Just for fun, if you take the chords to "Heart and Soul" (C, Am, F & G) and start the pattern on the F instead of the G you get F, G, C, Am. Now change the tempo and play it in the key of A flat and you have J'en ai marre!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Faithful Fan

bt_bird_90 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
By the way, CFH, I really enjoyed your version of "Heart and Soul".

Just for fun, if you take the chords to "Heart and Soul" (C, Am, F & G) and start the pattern on the F instead of the G you get F, G, C, Am. Now change the tempo and play it in the key of A flat and you have J'en ai marre!
I had to check and I think you're right, good ear!
Old 01-14-2007, 07:00 PM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

Hahaha, thanks for the laughs Nurv!

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...
Old 01-14-2007, 09:59 PM
On the Probulator

c-dawg777 is on a distinguished road

Saw this on Robotchicken... I laughed for so long over this
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y1_DJRAUnIM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y1_DJRAUnIM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 01-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
CFH, the moment you make a tangible copy of your musical work (like sheet music or a recording) it is automatically copyrighted. Registering the copyright is not required, but it is necessary if you need to file a lawsuit against someone for infringement. It costs $45.00 to register a song. I do mine as a complete CD rather than each individual song. That way I can copyright a bunch of songs, the performance, and the sound recording all at once for one fee. It saves me a lot of money, but there are issues to consider doing it that way. Check this out for more info. http://www.copyright.gov/
Thanks lefty, I'll keep that in mind. One thing I wasn't clear on is the use of the term "phonorecording" (i.e. CD, cassette, etc.) I wasn't sure is it had to be a physical recording of sounds or if data (such as a midi) would count. That's the main thing that's bee holding me up.

I'm glad that people enjoy my humble attempt at writing/arranging music. Thanks all (not just lefty).
Old 01-15-2007, 07:03 PM
100th Member

DJ_Greg is on a distinguished road
Default Emily Haines - Doctor Blind

New song from the lead singer of Metric. This is rather different from her band's sound, but I still like it:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/INQC9BkW5cU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/INQC9BkW5cU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 01-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator

I never considered the idea of copyrighting a song in MIDI before. I think they define a phonorecord as a cassette, LP or CD because they want it in a format they will be able to play back years later, if needed. MIDI allows you to alter which instruments play each part, so it would not be truly representative of a sound recording.

It's important to note that there is a difference between copyrighting a musical composition and copyrighting a sound recording of the composition. The musical composition is considered the "underlying work" and could also be represented in the form of sheet music.

Depending on the MIDI software and soundcard you are using, it may provide a way to output your composition to a .WAV file. I use Cakewalk Sonar and an Echo Layla 8 channel breakout box to do mine.