Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 08-05-2018, 07:14 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Edit:

Here is the official video

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 08-05-2018 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 08-22-2018, 05:05 PM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Last edited by DrSmith; 08-22-2018 at 05:13 PM..
Old 08-23-2018, 11:47 AM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

Clever music video. You have to hang in there until the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63vq...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-27-2018, 11:03 PM
Ethical

Old 08-31-2018, 03:38 AM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

I was invited to a Pentatonix concert by a friend who had free tickets to see them a couple of weeks ago. None of us knew their music though I had heard of them, and it was a nice show. However, what caught my attention was one of their opening acts, Echosmith.

They performed a so-far unreleased song called Diamonds In A Sea Of Pearls, here are two videos of them performing it in different locations. I really hope they release it on their next album.

Echosmith - Diamonds In A Sea Of Pearls
Old 08-31-2018, 05:51 AM

kulli is on a distinguished road

I remember "Cool Kids" from them, the song got often played on the radio.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:01 PM
Against The Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulli View Post
I remember "Cool Kids" from them, the song got often played on the radio.
It was pretty catchy, but I didn't pay too much attention to it. However that song above I thought was really good
Old 09-06-2018, 09:00 PM
Against The Current

Michael Jackson - Who Is It

One of my favorite MJ songs, from what is probably my favorite album of his, Dangerous. The music video (or short film) was originally not allowed to be played in the US. I suppose in the 90's it was a big no-no to portray prostitution on TV. Of course, nowadays you see all sorts of things.

I may have talked about the story of the music video before, but I've been thinking about it a lot recently and I wanted a place to vent. The Wikipedia article summarizes the story thus:

Quote:
Directed by David Fincher, the music video for "Who Is It" was released in 1993.

It begins with Jackson in what seems to be a hotel, singing about his girlfriend. He is distressed because he found a silver card in with the name "Alex" on it. It implies that his girlfriend is cheating on him with someone else. As the story in the video unfolds, the girl takes on different identities (i.e. Eve, Diana, etc.) for her job as a high class call girl. "Alex" (which is also a girl's name), just happens to be one of them. The video alternates scenes from where Jackson is singing about his pain, to where the girl is being changed into her different identities and taking care of her jobs (mostly meeting with other men and even some women and sleeping with them). Towards the end of the video, Jackson has packed up his bags to leave town, because of his distress. A helicopter comes to pick him up from his house. The girl comes to Jackson's house and she asks his assistant (who knows the situation and aided Jackson in his departure) to let her in. It is likely she quit the job for him and wants to stay. The assistant shakes his head, implying that he left. When she asks why, he drops a flutter of silver nameplates (including the one that said "Alex") from a slot in the door. After that scene, Jackson is seen sleeping and smoke floats out the side of the screen. Having lost her love and without any alternative, the girl turns to her callgirl existence again. Her employer slaps her in the face and she is then seen being prepared for a new identity.
The description under the YouTube video says:

Quote:
In the short film, Michael sings of heartbreak over a lover, while the woman he sings about changes costumes and identities for her work as a high-class call girl. Michael leaves town and her at the end of the short film, and his assistant hands her the calling cards she offered her clients, making sure she realizes that Michael found out about her infidelity.
However, I can't help feeling that that is all wrong. That's not the story I've interpreted from watching it all these years. I have a few reasons to doubt these descriptions.

1. The texts I quoted above suggest that Michael is not originally aware of her job or her "infidelity." That interpretation might have more to do with the lyrics of the song than the actual film. The lyrics to a Michael Jackson song don't necessarily dictate what the short film ends up looking like. Nothing in the lyrics of Smooth Criminal suggest a 1930's nightclub filled with gangsters being surrounded by military troops. So I don't think the film for Who Is It is strictly about infidelity.

2. In the film, the call girl has multiple megarich clients that she visits. Michael then is seen to be in possession of her Alex calling card and supposedly it means he thinks there's another man named Alex or has discovered her profession. I might buy this if the film portrayed MJ as a middle or lower class guy. But he has a penthouse, an assistant, a limousine, mansion 1, a helicopter, a private jet, and mansion 2. How did he meet her in the first place? He fits the profile of all her other clients. My theory is that he IS one of her clients. They fell in love, and MJ asked her to run away with him. She refused, and MJ is heartbroken. By the end of the film, she has a change of heart but he's already gone, leaving her no choice but to return to her employers.

3. Towards the end of the film, MJ's assistant dismisses her at the gate to mansion 1 because MJ has left. He tosses out a bunch of her calling card identities, (Alex, Diana, Eve, etc.) which once again, suggests to me that MJ has seen her multiple times, as one of her clients. With the amount of money that she makes her employers, the operation's level of sophistication, and their furious expressions when she returns to work for them, I doubt she had much freedom to explore a relationship with someone. How did she have time to be with him when they prep her almost immediately between clients? He had to have been one of her regulars to be able to form a connection.

One of these days, I might try and tweet David Fincher or someone involved in the making of the film to ask about this theory. It's unfortunate that I can't discuss this with the King Of Pop himself.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:34 AM
Ethical

Cool

Old 09-16-2018, 09:16 PM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

https://www.facebook.com/juliacommet...xMDM4MTc0Nzg5/