Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

View Poll Results: What style should Lilly's next album be?
UEDS (Electro, French underground, etc.) 3 5.56%
Psych style (A mix of styles) 9 16.67%
Mylene & Laurent style (first two albums) 9 16.67%
Dance-Pop (dance music... and Alizee dancing!) 17 31.48%
Acoustic, softer (think the Guitar La Javaniese) 4 7.41%
Something else... (list it) 12 22.22%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

What about a Coeur de pirate style of music for Alizée? It would suit her wonderfully, I think. Coeur de pirate is a Québécois (French-Canadian) act that is quite popular in Québec and France these days. See if you like it:

(added after Edit)

Coeur de pirate doesn’t sound too bad live and in English, s'il vous plait!

Edit:
Oh yeah... Before anyone comes up with the info and some people get all disappointed, if you didn't read the Wiki link above, yes, CDP did some nude pictures when she was younger, and yes, they used to be on the Internet... Not sure they still are.

Last edited by Corsaire; 01-20-2011 at 12:47 PM..
Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I just got back from a trip to Europe and have been following this thread, but wanted to wait until I arrived back to comment.

First of all, I don't think we've heard anything official yet from Alizée as to whether UEDS is officially dead and if she is planning a new album so we all might just be flapping our gums in the breeze.

I'm surprised to see some people say that they'd like to see another album similar to Psych. First of all, it did not do well in France. Second of all it was an experiment in different styles. So should she make an album with several styles again? I don't think so. I think if there is another album, if it's not a commercial success, it will be her last. So there's no more time for experimentation. She needs to pick a direction to go in. Choosing 2 styles I think would be best. Some softer songs and some pop songs. The best part of limiting it to 2 styles is, if you put together a cd of 12 songs, that gives you 6 chances of coming up with 2 good ones for each style and I like those odds.

Electronic I think wasn't necessarily a bad direction to go in, but she made the bad mistake of choosing CM to work with and as someone else mentioned, they were a terrible fit for her voice and now I don't think she can afford to go back in that direction.

Several people have mentioned they'd like to see her dance more (Well wouldn't we all for that matter?). But I think what would help her out more is some good music videos. Not an amateur effort like we saw with Les Collines. More like something along the lines of ACC. Someone mentioned they'd like her to sing songs that tell a story and I'd like to see some videos along those lines.

The thing I think Alizée needs most with this new album is someone around her who will give an objective opinion of any new songs. Someone who wont sugar coat things, who wont pull punches, who will tell her that a particular song, might be good, but it wont be good enough to make what it will take for her to have success.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:52 PM
Alizée's Thug Life

severianb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naft View Post
Sounds good, however I need to make something clear.

I still think she can dance and do it beautifully, she still has the talent to and the body to support it. I'm just saying that she's outgrown the JPVA/JEAM style and it wouldn't be fitting to do it with her current style and image.
Ok, then you and I are in agreement.

Lilly-Mullet & Do-Rag Appreciation Club Member #2 (member #1 Fevier)
Old 01-20-2011, 02:47 PM

BrianO1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post

Choosing 2 styles I think would be best.
I agree, thats why I wasnt sure I wanted to choose "Psych style", cause there were a few too many styles on that album.

Pop/softer songs works just fine for me

(I guess I should have picked "something else")
Old 01-20-2011, 03:59 PM

babyblue558 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdan View Post

Touché

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronius31 View Post
Ewww....49 year olds!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naft View Post
I'll just shut up from now on before I hit rock-bottom...
All my point was that if Mylène manages to pull off a sexy-dancey image at 49 then Alizée DEFINITELY could at 26 with no problem. Thing is, I don't really think she wants to because it would make her feel uncomfortable for whatever reason, only she knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by severianb View Post
Easier said than done, right? Obviously correct, though. On the other hand, I thought Psych and UEDS were very well done. I just think it's going to take a long time to be accepted (if ever) for a new style(s) in France.
Yes and that's why I would usually say that when you've found a production team that works very well, STICK WITH THEM. While the Mymy / Laurent production team certainly worked very well from a musical point of view, it was beginning not to work from Alizée's personal point of view (ie she wasn't able to take control and steer her career exactly where she wanted it to go). It will be very, very difficult to find a production style that equals (musically) the quality achieved by Gourmandises and MCE, but it's certainly possible. I remember mentioning a while ago on a thread (maybe this very one?!) that an epic return to glory after a few years of underachieving on the sales front is possible (France Gall and Meat Loaf were the examples I used).

My advice to Alizée would be to keep on experimenting with different producers and styles until she finds one that both works musically and fits in with where she wants to be and what she wants to do. It will happen I'm certain if she's determined enough to perservere during these years of experimentation and low-ish sales.

But here I am giving "advice" on a subject I know barely anything about... such is life
Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Alizée Always And Forever

RobandSandy is on a distinguished road

And so if MADONNA at the ripe age of 51 could also pull off a sexy dance floor image...
Im sure Alizée can and will if that is what she wants to do. Mylene 14 global 1rst wk from Blue Noir, Madonna Confessions album debuted at #1 globally when it was released. I think a dance floor album with producers like Redone and Moby Alizée will bust the charts WIDE OPEN!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 PM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronius31 View Post
Ewww....49 year olds!!!
I heard that.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 PM
You ain't seen nothin yet

Joey_adore_Jung is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by severianb View Post

You are biased, because you have dastardly plans of being in her band... which would be awesome.... You could teach Lilly power chords.
I would teach her more than the power of power chords, but the beauty of shredding and the absolute intensity of headbanging and the mosh pit. I think she would have an amazing headbanging technique. It would look amazing.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:01 PM
n

Karlalizee is on a distinguished road

i loved the song she sang this past Christmas. this is the style of which i would like for her to continue.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Alizée's Thug Life

severianb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlalizee View Post
i loved the song she sang this past Christmas. this is the style of which i would like for her to continue.
French underground? The people she did UEDS with. I enjoyed it very much... and obviously they all enjoy working together. To bad the combo was a flop commercially.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobandSandy View Post
I think a dance floor album with producers like Redone and Moby Alizée will bust the charts WIDE OPEN!
I agree. And it fits in with the theme of her trying new things. She's never done a pure dance album before. I love a thumping bass beat every now and again... having Lilly MC it would make it awesome.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue558 View Post
I remember mentioning a while ago on a thread (maybe this very one?!) that an epic return to glory after a few years of underachieving on the sales front is possible (France Gall and Meat Loaf were the examples I used).
I know Meat Loaf did it (after going downhill for years) by doing the *same exact thing* he had done before.. epic rock opera. With the same producer. France Gall went almost 10 years without a hit after leaving Gainsbourg before she found popular success again with new people.

Quote:
My advice to Alizée would be to keep on experimenting with different producers and styles until she finds one that both works musically and fits in with where she wants to be and what she wants to do. It will happen I'm certain if she's determined enough to perservere during these years of experimentation and low-ish sales.
I think you are right. I tend to respectfully disagree with folks who think her career will be done if her next album isn't a hit. She's a singer. She is part of the French music "scene" and it's obvious other artists like her and like working with her. She will keep going, and will no doubt be a big hit again. I worry more about us poor obsessed fans than her!

Lilly-Mullet & Do-Rag Appreciation Club Member #2 (member #1 Fevier)

Last edited by severianb; 01-20-2011 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts