Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Post Money is like applause

Suppose Alizée gave a live performance and no one applauded or cheered. She may have enjoyed creating and executing the performance, and may even be able to do so all her life if she had the money, but wouldn't she feel like a hobbyist - and NOT an artist? Money for YouTube videos would be like applause.

Video on demand is one way to cut out the expense of a theater or stadium. But it creates the opportunity for piracy, too. If you guys won't buy Alizée's mediated work, then you may find that one day the only way you can enjoy decently done NEW stuff from her is to pay a small fortune for travel to her distant, live events. And almost all your money will go for transportation and hospitality, not to Alizée and the creative and technical team which is very ESSENTIAL for her to get the job done.

YouTube is a widely accessed platform for watching video, and is now moving to high-def as well. The cited newspaper article wrote: <I>Filmmakers will be able to determine the rental price of the movies and would keep the majority of the revenue collected, YouTube said.</I> It sure sounds like it can become a practical way for an established artist to make a living indefinitely without depending upon a blockbuster every few years to stay in the business - assuming fans don't just rip her off through media piracy.

YouTube is not the only video-on-demand facility of course. One can go the DIY route these days, and many other services are extant or starting up, e.g. Hulu. Because their streams are not broadcast, but unicast, there should be room for niche players who are part of the <I>Long Tail</I>. If our favorite singer can't hit the top of the charts again, I hope such a vehicle will interest her all the same for many years to come.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:00 PM

OGRE is on a distinguished road

They say that time is money. Considering the time I've spent watching Alizée videos, I would say I've already paid quite a bit.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Merci Alizée

Releasing on youtube is good idea for movies, but I don't know how much it will help the music companies in case of albums.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Century old child!

wildfire is on a distinguished road

This is really unfortunate. Its a shame that part of the cultural lexicon is that Free is some sort of freedom. how personal responsibility and supporting the community of these businesses has gone away in favor of self interest. people download music and movies for free because they assume there are enough people who don't so their "theft" will affect little. Many even justify that they would have never bought the album in the firstplace.. yet they listen to it. And look at where we are now.

The irony is that companies have taken the same attitude towards people: they assume there are other companies paying people well so that they can drop wages and benefits and some other business will pick up the slack. As a result, you have an consumer base that earns so little that they can't afford to buy anything. So now you don;t have jobs and look at the economy.

When Ford built the model T and pioneer the assembly line, he paid his people 3x as much as other workers because he needed people to buy his cars. You don't have that cycle today...

Tags
filmmakers, independent, video, youtube