Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-07-2013, 01:32 AM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road
Default When was Alizée doing all this dancing?

I keep reading posts about how Alizée doesn't dance like she used to. But I can't figure out when all this dancing occured.

During Moi...Lolita she sorta skipped around and waved at fans when performing.
During L'alizé she just stood there like she does now and moves in place.
During Gourmandises, same as now.
Parler tout bas?
OK, JEAM she danced.
JPVA she danced.
ACC?

During En Concert, she changed things up a bit. Toned down the JEAM dance to sing live. Same with JPVA. Youpidoo and JBG got some dances. Besides those, some of the songs she just stood at the mic or sat on the shoe, or skipped around some or just walked around.

A few MJ performances, and that was about it.

Psychedelices tour? I have trouble listening to that so I haven't watched much of it. I don't remember much dancing from the parts I've watched.

So it really doesn't seem like she did all that much dancing to me. I think we've just seen it over and over and so it might seem like it was.

She was "probably" pushed to do the JEAM dance, and I'm sure she wanted to do JPVA in that dress... Maybe that turned her against it. And then there is that arched back thing, whatever that means.

What songs am I forgetting about that had amazing dances?

Last edited by Ray4AJ; 07-07-2013 at 01:43 AM..
Old 07-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Ray, I have to agree with your analysis of the situation. I think watching JPVA and JEAM repeatedly over the years gives the impression she danced a lot more back then. Of course En Concert had a few specific dances, but I don't think it's fair to compare a live concert to TV performances. Off the top of my head, I only remember 2 singles that had a specific choreographed dance routine associated with them.

I think fans feel that things just aren't the same, so they are looking for the cause of it. The music, the outfits, the dancing, hairstyle, etc. have all been discussed as possible contributors to the problem. Personally, I believe that it's very difficult to recapture the magic and cause it to happen again. You are dealing with millions of individuals (the music buying public) that you have no control over. I would go so far as to say that the music buying public in France has built up a resistance to accepting Alizée again. This is not an uncommon phenomenon. I think sometimes we forget what a long shot it is to have a hit like ML. If a formula was known for causing this to happen, every record released would be a huge hit. Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-07-2013, 11:15 AM

ALS is on a distinguished road

ACC she was chasing the gymnast all over that old building. In every ACC performance she just stood there behind the mic. I'm thinking that the dancing argument comes from those that have the En Concert DVD. She did some dance routines in the show but mostly kept walking from one side of the stage to the other.

Last edited by ALS; 07-07-2013 at 01:05 PM..
Old 07-07-2013, 11:15 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Well as far as Moi Lolita; when she performed in Amsterdam, she was on a large stage and the the ML dance wasn't as noticable because she had to move around so much to give exposure to all the audience. Take a look at this performance in Pistoia, Italy ( a place I've been) where the dancing is much more in evidence and I'm sure this dance was designed to look like a young girls skipping, and it looked like a very awkward dance to perform, but as usual, Alizee did it flawlessly. I'm sure it was a dance put together either by MF or someone who worked for her. MF would not just let Alizee go out there and skip around. MF knows how to put on a very good show.

Look at La Isla Bonita. Do you think she just picked out that song on the spur of the moment, then found that outfit back stage that fit her perfectly and just ad libbed those moves when she danced. First of all she lip synced to it so you know it wasn't a spur of the moment type of thing.

Look at Youpidou in concert, where she'd move that kerchief or cloth or whatever it was in perfect unison to the beat, then there is the part at the 2:37 mark that lasts for about 10 seconds. I wish they had a close up of this. I absolutlely loved it, then there's another part at 3:40 that again, I absolutely love where she's dancing side to side.

What about JBG? Isn't that considered a dance?

Look at Mon Maquis. It's in a rap style and I liked the music, but didn't really like the singing, but again, I absolutely loved the way she danced across the stage, then around the drummer. I liked it so much, I made a video of that part. I'm sure she didn't just ad lib it. I'm sure it was all carefully orchestrated by MF and her crew.

Gourmandises was another very good dance in my opinion

Even in performances where she danced in place she looked great. I may put together a video of those moments I like so much.

Then Psych came along. I think the big mistake they made with the MJ video is they didn't concentrate enough on her, plus the dance reminded me so much of so many other dance routines. It lacked the originality that MF had in the dances she put together for Alizee and I think that's the thing I miss the most and that's the uniqueness of her dances.

With the music video hung up, there was too much eye candy on stage with her. They don't need anyone else out there when she's dancing. Then they chose that awful dress for her.

With UEDS, she never really got a chance to dance after CM ran out on her.

With ACDLA, she chose not to dance in the video. Now with some of her performances since the album has come out, we are starting to see some more movement out of her. I loved the way she moved in place when she performed in Monaco and I really enjoy the movement she has with JVB, but she still has a good ways to go before she can get the most of her great dancing abilities, the way she did in the early years.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I'd like to add that I think she has a great sense of movement and putting moves together with the music. It's obvious when watching her perform in Les Enfoires that she can do it much better than many of the other performers. It really showed this year on some of the fan videos during Gangam Style, where she was following right along with Hakeem (the choreographer) and the others.... well, not so much.

During the Mylene years she was following along with the program, and I don't think the program left anything to chance. Everything she did was planned out. Looking back to the L'Alizé performances, it was choreographed, right down to taking the mic out of the stand and moving the stand.

I haven't watched the JVB routines enough to see if they seem planned and completely choreographed or just random, but I suppose I don't consider moving around behind the mic to be really dancing. I guess that's just me.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Amélie's Fed Up in Autumn

lapinschous is on a distinguished road

How can one forget about the amazing dance moves of JBG ? It still remains my favorite choregraphy ever... (too bad they censored it so much during the editing of the DVD... )

La Nostalgie des jours gourmands..
Old 07-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

How could I forget Toc de mac and that incredible spin move and the moments that followed?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:10 PM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road

Old 07-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

If you compare the En Concert dance routines to what she did in the Psyche era Mexican concerts, then I would say the dancing has dropped off significantly for live concerts. There was no UEDS era live concerts and so far there have been no "5" era live concerts to compare to En Concert. So I guess the jury is still out on this and we will have to judge if or when she does a "5" era live concert tour. But I still feel that TV performances of singles is not the same as a live, fully choreographed concert setting, and should be judged separately.

If we compare TV performances of singles, then I think JEAM and JPVA are fully choreographed. All the others, (if I'm not forgetting one) from all eras have been more of the "dance mostly in one place with some added hand gestures" kind of thing. So if I have the count right, she had a complete choreographed dance routine for 2 out of 12 singles, and both of those were from the MCE album. PTB, she sat on a chair. ML, she sometimes moved around quite a bit while performing. One performance of MJ she moved around quite energetically.

I haven't considered performances of cover songs, because I consider them in a separate category, since I assume the producers of those shows determined or influenced the choreography, and not Alizée or her team.

So I guess I'm waiting to see what she does for a "5" concert tour. If she has a tour, will she dance like En Concert? I don't know, but if she ends up in smaller, more intimate venues, then my guess is there will not be much dancing, if at all. And the way things are going with "5" right now, I am not expecting any live concerts at all.

Edit: Oh, I didn't see your post MA until after I posted. I forgot about those MJ dance performances. So that makes 3 out of 12.

Last edited by lefty12357; 07-07-2013 at 02:22 PM..
Old 07-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Amélie's Fed Up in Autumn

lapinschous is on a distinguished road

Quite frankly , I never liked the choreographies of the Psyché era... : /

I prefer being honest, but I just think none of them had the grace of the rest of her career.

It was just very excentric without any meaning to it.

La Nostalgie des jours gourmands..

Tags
dance, dances, performing