Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 12-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Old thread, but one of my favorite comedy movies of all time is Forget Paris with Billy Crystal and Debra Winger. Very funny and very clever, there are lots of scenes in Paris.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:28 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Well if you've been a fan for 10 years now, you must know about the movie Amelie. It's the movie character that Alizee's Amelie m'a dit is based on. It was made in France and it came over to this country with English subtitles and did well. The song was made a year after the movie came out. I enjoyed it.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Interesting. I have heard about the movie, never seen it. I will now.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:35 PM

Here's the video that combines Alizee's song with scenes from the movie.

Amelie was the name of a waitress who worked in a Paris restaurant in this fictional story. It was rumored that in late 2003, this would be Alizee's next single, but it was at this point that Alizee had met Jeremy and had decided to leave the people who discovered her and that is MF/LB.

Of course this song had an English version too and I think if she had not separated from Mylene and Laurant, this would've been a hit in this country. The earlier songs that Mylene made English versions for had some corny lines in them such as "I'm foamely ecstatic" or "If you're okey dokey" or "fried days of something that I lost". Those songs it was said were laughed at, I guess by people in England or maybe just the many English speaking people in mainland Europe and that was no fault of Alizee. She was just singing the lyrics that Mylene wrote and she did it incredibly well. It was just that as incredibly talented at song writing that Mylene was, she lacked the ability to translate these songs into a good English version.

Amelie was the exception. I think because it was telling the story of the waitress in the movie and it had to be true to the movie as opposed to the other songs where Mylene created these stories and she was trying to find English words that sounded good for the French songs she wrote and that's not an easy thing to do, so she modified the story in the process and though it sounded good, it had lines that like I said were corny. I'm sure Amelie the song, would've been a hit in this country and once the American public was introduced to Alizee, I think the results would've been record setting.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 12-04-2017 at 11:05 PM..
Old 12-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Administrator

I see what you are saying. Good song and sounds beautiful coming from Alizee's mouth. It would have been a great entry song into the US market. I think an American agent would have been more excited about promoting Alizee than an English speaking European agent. Alizee had a fresh look that Americans would have fell in love with in droves and would have embraced her French accent.

Thanks for all the history. I have to say that the Alizee/Jeremy pairing was really disastrous for her, professionally and personally, except for Annily, of course. We may never know what role he played in her decision to leave Mylene, but my guess is a lot.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:03 AM

I'm assuming you know of the English version of this song. The English version was the one that could have opened up the door for her in this country. Here I dubbed the English version over her En Concert performance.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Yes, I have heard it many times, and it's nice to hear it again.

Being that I an so used to Alizee singing everything in French and looking up the lyric translation, it still is a little strange hearing her sing in English. French is such a sexy language. La Isla Bonita was the first song I heard her sing in English, and she did a remarkable job. I still prefer her singing in French.

The English version of this song would have worked in the US, nonetheless.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I'm sure Amelie the song, would've been a hit in this country and once the American public was introduced to Alizee, I think the results would've been record setting.
If this song was record setting in America, she might have been just a one hit wonder. She took like 4 years off before releasing Psychédélices, and while she had every right to be private and shun media attention during those years to be a mom, as the saying goes: out of sight, out of mind.

Psychédélices went gold in sales in France when it was released, but did not play one venue in France during the tour. The Paris show was canceled, and nothing else was booked. What does this tell us? To me, it shows her local fans expected her to pick up where she left off, and when they listened to the album, they didn't like where she was going and did not support her. How can you survive as a musician if your own country is not supportive?

America might have reacted more like Mexico did and embraced her and her new style though. Hard to tell.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:54 PM

Well it would only have been record setting if she had stayed under the tutelage of MF/LB. Once she left them, it didn't matter how good the songs she sang were. It's how she presented them that cost her, her singing career.

Tags
favourite, film, movie, top 10