Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 12-28-2020, 10:35 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

So I am a cricket novice and my terminology might be incorrect, but I have watched some videos of it and find it interesting. I also have an unusual question.

When the "pitcher" throws the ball to the "batter", it bounces off the ground. I assume this is by design. The "pitch" is being thrown at a high velocity and it looks as though putting spin on the ball is part of the pitching strategy.

So my question is, what does the ground consist of that is between the "pitcher" and the "batter"? The surface looks as though it would take a beating after a while, with indentations and divots that would affect how the ball bounces as the game wears on. Is this area maintained regularly to smooth it out, or is the unpredictability of the bounce part of strategy?
Old 12-30-2020, 10:08 AM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
Looks like you don't have much to be scared of. At one point it looked like India wouldn't even need to bat a 2nd innings. You will now but I can't see our tail end putting up any sort of total that will be difficult for India to chase.

Especially seeing Smith and Paine go out for the smallest of margins, can't say they were unfair or unlucky calls but it was demoralising to see them both go out early.
Happy day for us.

Have to say it was one of the greatest victory for Indian cricket team. Performance was top notch.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
So I am a cricket novice and my terminology might be incorrect, but I have watched some videos of it and find it interesting. I also have an unusual question.

When the "pitcher" throws the ball to the "batter", it bounces off the ground. I assume this is by design. The "pitch" is being thrown at a high velocity and it looks as though putting spin on the ball is part of the pitching strategy.

So my question is, what does the ground consist of that is between the "pitcher" and the "batter"? The surface looks as though it would take a beating after a while, with indentations and divots that would affect how the ball bounces as the game wears on. Is this area maintained regularly to smooth it out, or is the unpredictability of the bounce part of strategy?
Ground is called as pitch and it is prepared by groundsmen and they do it by putting layers of different type of soil. It's a skill and idea is to produce a good ground which lasts for 5 days without much indentation.

If it is too flat, it favors batters too much. If it is too rough, it will help pitcher too much. They need to strike balance.

Not just bounce but trajectory also matters.

1. Dry, rough surfaces of India - mainly because of heat - helps slow pitches who spin the ball by imparting revolutions. Bounce is low

2. Surfaces with some grass - helps fast pitches in moving the ball.

3. Hard surfaces of Australia - bouncy tracks - good for batters and pitchers boths.

Additionally wind, moisture play role in swing and form important factors in executing skills of pitcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tGaoSz14g

Last edited by Merci Alizée; 12-30-2020 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 12-30-2020, 02:58 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
Ground is called as pitch and it is prepared by groundsmen and they do it by putting layers of different type of soil. It's a skill and idea is to produce a good ground which lasts for 5 days without much indentation.

If it is too flat, it favors batters too much. If it is too rough, it will help pitcher too much. They need to strike balance.

Not just bounce but trajectory also matters.

1. Dry, rough surfaces of India - mainly because of heat - helps slow pitches who spin the ball by imparting revolutions. Bounce is low

2. Surfaces with some grass - helps fast pitches in moving the ball.

3. Hard surfaces of Australia - bouncy tracks - good for batters and pitchers boths.

Additionally wind, moisture play role in swing and form important factors in executing skills of pitcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tGaoSz14g
Thanks Merci Alizee. Very interesting stuff on that video. That guys bowl at the 5 minute mark was crazy!

I found a wiki site that compares and contrasts baseball to cricket. I think what struck me the most was the differences in what would be a normal score for a game, with cricket being substantially higher.

I am a big baseball fan who has visited more than half the ballparks in the states. My goal is to visit them all over time, but this covid stuff has put a wrinkle in my plans for the time being.

I know a lot of people consider baseball too slow and boring, but I find the strategy aspect of the game enhances the enjoyment. There are many instances where a losing team comes from behind to win a game when they were a single strike away from losing. It can be so unpredictable and proves the game is not over until that last out is made. Does cricket have the same kind of intensity, with miracle comebacks and all that?
Old 01-02-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
Thanks Merci Alizee. Very interesting stuff on that video. That guys bowl at the 5 minute mark was crazy!

I found a wiki site that compares and contrasts baseball to cricket. I think what struck me the most was the differences in what would be a normal score for a game, with cricket being substantially higher.

I am a big baseball fan who has visited more than half the ballparks in the states. My goal is to visit them all over time, but this covid stuff has put a wrinkle in my plans for the time being.

I know a lot of people consider baseball too slow and boring, but I find the strategy aspect of the game enhances the enjoyment. There are many instances where a losing team comes from behind to win a game when they were a single strike away from losing. It can be so unpredictable and proves the game is not over until that last out is made. Does cricket have the same kind of intensity, with miracle comebacks and all that?
Yes, recently only Indian cricket team was dismissed for their lowest ever score against Australia in first match and everyone thought team would be rolled over. Moreover, best batter went back home for personal reasons. But team showed character and won 2nd game.

There are last minute drama in games also.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:18 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Well, a draw in Sydney. The patience and perseverance of India's batting order has really impressed me this series, especially when Australia are all over the place (good and bad) when batting.

Now over to the Gabba to decide the series, should be an enthralling match. The commentators keep referencing Australia's great record in Brisbane which makes me think they've jinxed it, we'll see.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Well, a draw in Sydney. The patience and perseverance of India's batting order has really impressed me this series, especially when Australia are all over the place (good and bad) when batting.

Now over to the Gabba to decide the series, should be an enthralling match. The commentators keep referencing Australia's great record in Brisbane which makes me think they've jinxed it, we'll see.
Yeah, even Paine was talking about Gabba with Ashwin. Anyway, this was great day to watch cricket and many fans enjoyed it a lot.

Chances of rain washing the match?
Old 01-19-2021, 03:18 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

And that's it. We've been outsmarted and outclassed at the Gabba of all places by an India team without many of their best players and captain. I was expecting India to hold out the draw to end the series level and retain the trophy but instead they finished the final innings like it was a T20 match and it worked.

Just get the sense Australia felt a bit naïve and got ahead of themselves, as a lot of fans including myself did too, after Adelaide we were firm favourites to win the series. But still, Australia were up against the best test country in the world, no real shame losing to such a side.

Massive respect to the players, captains and coaching staff of both sides and especially India, not sure I can say the same about the fans of either country attending the games though.
The reception Tim Paine got from the India fans in Brisbane when stepping up to congratulate India on the series win was uncalled for, Paine of all players in Australia's side has conducted himself exactly as he should as the captain, booing him is just unnecessary.
But even worse was the Australian fans who made the racist remarks at the SCG, just completely idiotic and left a sour taste to that test. It may've only been a couple of fans but it doesn't do anyone any good.

Disappointing all round from Australia, we had that miracle match in Adelaide then everything simply went downhill from there. But more importantly a massive congratulations to India, throughly deserved and well fought.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
And that's it. We've been outsmarted and outclassed at the Gabba of all places by an India team without many of their best players and captain. I was expecting India to hold out the draw to end the series level and retain the trophy but instead they finished the final innings like it was a T20 match and it worked.

Just get the sense Australia felt a bit naïve and got ahead of themselves, as a lot of fans including myself did too, after Adelaide we were firm favourites to win the series. But still, Australia were up against the best test country in the world, no real shame losing to such a side.

Massive respect to the players, captains and coaching staff of both sides and especially India, not sure I can say the same about the fans of either country attending the games though.
The reception Tim Paine got from the India fans in Brisbane when stepping up to congratulate India on the series win was uncalled for, Paine of all players in Australia's side has conducted himself exactly as he should as the captain, booing him is just unnecessary.
But even worse was the Australian fans who made the racist remarks at the SCG, just completely idiotic and left a sour taste to that test. It may've only been a couple of fans but it doesn't do anyone any good.

Disappointing all round from Australia, we had that miracle match in Adelaide then everything simply went downhill from there. But more importantly a massive congratulations to India, throughly deserved and well fought.

This was one of the most amazing day for Indian cricket. Not many people believed that this team could do this. I can't explain the mood here. People are still discussing non-stop about this everywhere.

I haven't seen anything like this before. Team just kept on standing up to Australian opposition. One of the greatest wins ever.

Such a high quality series. Hoping to see more in future.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:34 AM

BrightenTheCorners is on a distinguished road

Can't believe there is a cricket thread here! Will be looking forward to some great discussions about World Test Championship and T20 world cup soon

Last edited by BrightenTheCorners; 05-26-2021 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: Kind of insensitive to talk about cricket getting me through hard times - removed that part
Old 05-25-2021, 01:28 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum in case I hadn't said that before BrightenTheCorners. As you probably noticed, Merci Alizee is a big fan, but he's in India where they are having some tough times with covid so it might be a while before we hear from him.