Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 11:37 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road
Default Do you remember the exact date you saw Alizee for the first time?

Every now and then a member posts that it is the anniversary date of when they first saw Alizee. It is definitely a moment of great significance

For me, I don't know the exact date. Until I started thinking back, all I really knew was an approximate year, and I had to think about it to narrow it down to a single year. But, I remember the moment when I saw my first video of Alizee - it is forever etched in my mind. The video didn't have a song name and I didn't know French, so initially she was just this mystery girl that blew me away. All I knew was her name.

I was living along the Texas gulf coast at that time. I was in my office with the windows open. It was cool outside and could smell spring. For those that have lived that far south in the US, winter (if you can call it that) comes and goes quickly. It is safe to start planting your garden around Valentine's Day. I had concluded that it was in the March/April time frame. Once May comes around, the A/C is on and I would not have the windows open.

So I was in my office researching World of Warcraft. My youngest son loved online video games. In earlier years, I played video games with him often, some online. But when he was 16, he was completely absorbed in WoW. So much so, he didn't even bug me to get his driver's license until he was 17. I know I was counting the days until my 16th birthday so I can rush to get my driver's license, so it was strange. He would be up all hours of the night playing WoW, talking with his virtual friends. He tried to explain it to me, but somehow I never had an interest in playing it. I was interested in why him along with millions of others spend most of their days, every day, playing it. Since I knew my son's age at this time, I know it was 2006.

Wanting to know what is it about the game that has my son so addicted, I got on a forum dedicated to WoW. I started reading threads. A member posted a link to YouTube and said this beautiful French girl was dancing the dance of the night elf in WoW. I didn't know what a night elf was, but if somebody is copying the dance, it must be significant. I thought maybe this girl was copying WoW, but it wasn't until later I learned it was the other way around.

So the next mouse click was pretty momentous.

Now I know the song was J'en Ai Marre (Pour Laurette), but at the time had no clue.

I stumbled across the video a year or so ago. I hadn't seen it since back in those days. It was titled "alizee" and nothing else. It is dated February 2, 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_co...ature=emb_logo

So as March and April approaches, it will mark my 14th year as a fan.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:59 PM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

Wow, I didn't know you have been following her for all this time. Looking at your join date, I thought you had found her quite recently.

As for me, I already told how I discovered her: I knew a certain song that I really liked when I was a child, but I could barely recall its rhythm. So, one day about four years ago, I decided it was time to know what song it was. And I found it: Moi... Lolita. I could even remember some parts of the official video. But, as you can imagine, the joy of my discovery was soon replaced by a completely different emotion.

So I think the first time I saw Alizée might be in 2002/2003 because it is when she became famous here in Italy. But honestly I don't know if it is correct: my only memory of Alizée from when I was a child is ML official video, so it could be possible that I saw her for the first time years later. I don't know. I was only 5 in 2002...

Anyway, the date I could consider to be the day I discovered Alizée is 4th April 2016. It doesn't mean much, but that day I add the first Alizée song to my Spotify playlist. Back then, the only albums on Spotify were 5 and Blonde and the song is Je veux bien. So I think I might have discovered her 1-2 months before.

Edit:

Oh, and this is the video I saw four years ago:

Last edited by Aragorn97; 02-21-2020 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 02-21-2020, 01:00 PM

bebert057 is on a distinguished road

For my part, I remember seeing the clip of Moi Lolita the day of its release on July 26, 2000, it was the school holidays and I was 5 years old. there was music all the time on TV, and as soon as I heard Moi Lolita, I ran to watch the clip

I could see her for real during a concert on October 14, 2003, I was 8 years old, thanks to a girlfriend who also adored Alizée

and I also got to see her for real on February 8, 2014 in Amnéville during the DALS tour, and she is 1000x more beautiful in real life

and I went back to see her every year of the tour in Amnéville

this photo is the only one i've kept from dals because my external hard drive has burnt out

Last edited by bebert057; 02-21-2020 at 01:05 PM..
Old 02-21-2020, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebert057 View Post
and I also got to see her for real on February 8, 2014 in Amnéville during the DALS tour, and she is 1000x more beautiful in real life
You are not the first person that I have read that says this. ScruffyDog has met her multiple times, the last being September of 2018 at the dance studio. He said pictures don't do her justice.

I was pretty shy around girls when I was young. I mostly got over it during my high school years and by my 20's I could talk to anybody, even very beautiful women. However, I think I would revert back to a blushing, stuttering school boy if I ever stood face to face with Alizee and had the chance to talk to her.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:46 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

It would have been late Summer, 2000, I think…

This...

Alizée - Moi... Lolita (Clip Officiel HD)

Had just had it’s UK video debut…

Wasn’t too impressed, just some pretty “meaningless” French “candyfloss” music. She was cute, and “all”, but so very very young…

<“Fast Forward” a wee bit>

A girlfriend picked up “Gourmandises” for me, just after it was released, and by that time, due to necessity, my "command" of the French language had improved to the point where I could appreciate French music just that wee bit better than before. Due to "linguistic difficulties", I admit, it did not get that much “play” time..

But to be totally honest, I still wasn’t “hooked”, and couldn’t really call myself any sort of real “fan”…

<“Fast Forward, yet again”>

Late 2008, I think it was, continued “third party exposure” to the three tracks following, (and their associated “variants”), finally “subdued” me, and, “brought me too heel”…

Alizee - Moi Lolita - live (HQ)

Alizée - J'en ai marre ! (Clip Officiel HD)

Alizee Jacotey - La Isla Bonita [LIVE].

“Subjugation” complete…

It’s her “eyes”…

Just… Doooon’t look in her eyes…

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
However, I think I would revert back to a blushing, stuttering school boy if I ever stood face to face with Alizee and had the chance to talk to her.
You’d be surprised at your actual reaction…

I think you would be just “fine”. We just have to get you to Ajaccio, Corisca, and into the proximity of “her goddessness” for me to prove this...

As for “myself” and meeting “Alizée”, well, if it was a “chance” encounter, she would think that she had just met an “old friend”…

However…

If it was a “planned” encounter, the longer I had to think about it, and worry, the worse it would be, and, I would end up being either: a “total dribbling wreck”; or; “MajorTotalSmoothBastard”. It’s utterly amazing what I can do under the effects of an “adrenaline overload”…

We just need to get all of us to Ajaccio, to find out…
Old 02-22-2020, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

I was first introduced to Alizée by a good friend, who sent me links to some of her videos in November of 2007. The links included:
"A Contre Courant," "Ella, Elle L'a," "J'ai Pas Vingt Ans," "J'en Air Marre," "La Isla Bonita," "L'Ella, Elle L'a," "L'Alizée," "Moi...Lolita," "Rockollection - Les Enfoirés 2001," and "Toc de mac - Concert."
I had always liked French singers and songs, and when I heard Alizée I thoroughly enjoyed her music and I very much admired her talent. I have been a fan ever since, and though I have never seen her perform in person, I would love to do so one day.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:54 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

I also found out about her back in 2007. I've told this story a few times before but what the heck, might as well tell it again.

Working for an airline, I go on 3 or 4 trips a year and I like to watch music videos on flights. One night, I was looking for some more videos to add to my collection. I enjoyed Madonna's "Hung up" which came out in 2005. I downloaded that and decided to search for more of her music. One of her songs I liked was L'a Isla Bonita. I searched for that and got some results similar to the picture below. There were several search hits for Madonna's songs, but then there was this one picture of a woman I had never seen before. Very good looking yes, but I certainly wasn't bowled over at this point.

So I clicked on that video and enjoyed her singing and dancing. I wondered where she was from but also thought if she was any good, I probably would of heard of her before. I felt sure I had the answer to where she was from, when at the end she said "Merci.". I also thought well she's singing someone else's song so I wasn't too impressed at that point and wondered if she had any songs of her own?".

So I did a search for "Alizée". I can't remember what the other hits were, but the one I decided to click on was her performance of ML in Amsterdam. I had been there on my honeymoon and liked it and I think it's for that reason I chose that "hit".

That's when my jaw hit the floor. Such beauty, such dancing, such poise. The smiles, the little waves to the crowd just kept drawing me in, deeper and deeper. I don't know how many times I watched that video that night. I was really amazed to find out she was only 16 then!

It's really rare to find a song that you enjoy as much as this one, so at first, I didn't do much more searching then, thinking lightning can't strike then but then I found L'Alize (The Dome), ACC (the video), Gourmandises (the video), JPVA at the Eiffel tower. Then after finding these great songs, I stumbled upon "En Concert". So many great songs and great performances. It was an amazing time back then. She brought so much enjoyment into my life at a time I really needed it.

discovering alizee.jpg

amsterdam.jpg
Old 03-12-2020, 05:20 AM

Jenny_HRO87 is on a distinguished road

I don't remember the exact dates, neither the date I saw her for the first time nor the date when I re-discovered her by accident. I only remember what I was doing.

I have probably told this story before but whatever.

The first time I saw her was probably in autumn 2001 but I'm not sure. Still.. Moi Lolita was released in Germany in autumn 2001 so it's not unlikely. I remember that I was doing school work at the place of one of my classmates with some others, we were preparing something for religious education about sects. The TV was running in the background on suddenly Moi Lolita was on. I liked it immediately but had no idea who that girl was and didn't know her name. And during the time before the internet was part of your daily life you couldn't just google it.

I heard the song several times on the radio, once I even saw the music video on TV but I still didn't know the name of the singer. I just really loved this song.

The thing is... I never cared much about music except I really like the singer. And so far the only two singers whose careers I still follow and whose albums I buy are Alizée and the wonderful Amy Macdonald.

I'm the type of "I like this song but I have no idea who is singing" person.

Anyway... 2 years later in 2003, sometime in late spring or summer I watched TV and there was an advert for "the new album from the singer of Moi... Lolita" and that's how it all started...
Old 03-12-2020, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_HRO87 View Post
The TV was running in the background on suddenly Moi Lolita was on....And so far the only two singers whose careers I still follow and whose albums I buy are Alizée and the wonderful Amy Macdonald.
Hi Jenny! It's nice to meet another woman here!
I was very interested in your story about how you discovered Alizée. "Moi Lolita" is also one of my favourite songs. There is just something so catchy and compelling about that song and her voice--or the way she sings it. Whatever the explanation, to me it certainly gets my attention and keeps it.
I am not familiar with Amy Macdonald, so your mention of her has made me interested and I am going to look her up. I'm afraid there are so many singers I am not aware of. Exactly as you put it:
Quote:
I'm the type of "I like this song but I have no idea who is singing" person.
...that is me exactly!

By the way, awhile back I heard of a female fan who had lost most of her fan videos. What that you, by any chance? I like to go back and read through old forum post from time to time, since I'm relatively new to the forum.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I don't remember the exact dates, neither the date I saw her for the first time nor the date when I re-discovered her by accident. I only remember what I was doing.

I have probably told this story before but whatever.
Hi Jenny! Glad to see you pop in. I never heard the story the first time, so thanks for repeating.

Well, so far I think only Fall knows the exact date. I think he posted in chat his anniversary date. I would think it would have to align with something else memorable to make the connection to the exact date.

Did I ever think I would still be following Alizee the way that I do fourteen years later, and actually be a member of a fan site? Never. I think that is the part I am most interested in...the progression from just seeing Alizee for the first time to becoming such a hard core fan of hers. Was it instantaneous or was it a progression?

For me, outside of a few legendary sports figures from my childhood days, I never was the type to follow any kind of celebrity closely, especially outside of their professional life. My first take on Alizee was that she was exceptionally gorgeous with great eyes and smile. She was different than anything I have seen before. When I had the time, I looked for anything I could find of her on YouTube and MetaCafe. That is the key word, time. I had a business that was doing very well, wife and kids, and a lot of property and animals to take care of. Watching Alizee videos was something I just did when I could. I just know I was in a better mood when I was able to see her.

I watched a lot of compilation videos of her made by fans. I like them because when I saw bits and pieces of her performances, I would find ones that stood out, then went to look for the full length performance.

On one particular compilation video, it showed short clips of this.

We all know it is Gourmandises now, but I had no idea what it was back then or what performance it came from. All I know is that Alizee moved in such an incredible fashion in the video. It became a project for me, to track it down. It did take me a while, and when I found it, it instantly became my favorite Alizee video and still remains so to this day. She that this slightly messy hair going with her bangs draping over her left eye. I thought that look was very sexy, which is the norm for Alizee, but this one especially. That is the reason why my avatar has a picture of that performance.

My "fanship" evolved over time, but once I started taking the time to read about her and listen to her interviews, it struck me that she was really something special as a person. I was half expecting a train wreck like many young musicians, or living a terrible lifestyle, obnoxious, self-centered. Instead I found this very sweet, soft spoken, intelligent, family-oriented, down to earth. This is when I really became a fan of Alizee.

Who else in the celebrity universe does this? (it was posted by Skelton a few days ago).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CC...o7CSkiXaxVsdu6

I rest my case.