Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 02-03-2011, 02:17 AM
>9K

AlizéeInspired is on a distinguished road

Her career can be discussed in many different ways. Many of which are opinions. The sales figures and commercial success are something that can easily be argued as pure fact. Strictly speaking in terms of sales and commercial success, her first two albums seem to be at the top. Debating which album is her "best" is opinion. Personally, I've come to be a fan of Psych and UEdS more than her first two albums. I can still agree that her first two albums were more successful in terms of sales, commercial success, and public acceptance. As for which album or part of her career was the biggest artistic success... this is something that I believe only she can judge and has a meaningful say in.

And now for my opinions and beliefs regarding her career as well as about any artistic career.

As bad as it may seem, what I care for the most are not her sales. While I don't necessarily want any artist or singer that I like to not have good sales, I do believe that any artist, singer, musician, or performer should believe in what they're doing or should feel good about what they're selling. Personally, I think expressing one's self, wanting to inspire, and wanting to bring joy to people should be among the top things, if not the very top things to an artist. Sadly, this isn't always easy or possible for some in the music industry as what some people want to express isn't always widely accepted as well as they may hope. The need of sales for money is also a big contributing factor that may sway and influence the work of today's pop singers and artists. That being said, if her albums were something that she really felt she needed to do and express as a performer and singer, then I'm proud of her for doing so. As for how things currently are in her career, perhaps Alizée just isn't what is "in" anymore. If what she is expressing and selling now isn't what a person likes, then they should move on to what they do like and wait for things that they may like.

I'll end this post with a good quote that I heard somewhere. I think it relates to what I'm saying and my belief on how an artist should go about their career as well as how a person may go about life: "I would rather be hated for the person that I am, than to be loved and adored for a person that I am not."
Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Don't speak French :(

Edcognito is on a distinguished road
Talking More Opinion!

I am going to ask Euphoria directly: Do you know Alizeé? Do you have direct knowledge of this topic or "her"? Vague, grandiose statements bug me somewhat, but please believe me, I'm not trying to start a fight.

Again, I would love to see Alizeé do a more mainstream recording, because my tastes in music were developed in the 60's (Johnny Cash, Bobby Goldsboro, Simon & Garfunkel) through the '70's and '80's (Earth, Wind & Fire, Mothers Finest, Montrose, Motown, Blondie, Pat Benatar, AC/DC, Ozzy, Sammy Hagar (pre/post Van Halen) Billy Squire, Def Leppard and ZZ Top). ((OH! Can't forget Tony Carey's "Planet P Project" - 'Pink World' or Metallica)).

So yeah, my tastes in music run pretty "AOR" or main stream rock/metal. Therefore, the music that Alizeé made with MF/LB appealed to me. Some of you know that my first exposure to Alizeé was audio, not video... I like melodic arrangements and melodic composition. "Mlle. Juliette" and "Never Gonna Leave You" are my favorites of her recent releases.

For my own, personal and entirely *selfish* reasons, I would love a melodic pop/pop-rock album. Now, seeing what Alizeé has put out on the last two albums (more Rap/Electronic influence) it seems to me (could be wrong) that her taste in music doesn't come close to mine. Which is not a bad thing - I've been exposed to more "new music" through my discovery of Alizeé than anything else (including the internet) in the last 30 years...

Still find it hard to believe that the first artist that I take such an interest in is from a foreign land (lol!) speaking a language I don't know... And I would still love to meet her, and attend a concert. Again, purely selfish of me, I *want* her to be commercially successful so that I can see her in concert...

"Most men serve the state thus: Not as men mainly, but as machines . . . "
Henry David Thoreau
Civil Disobedience
Old 02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Merci Alizée

Please try to avoid making any personal remarks in the threads especially in case when discussion about Alizée is going on and when the personal remarks don't serve any purpose. In fact in most of the cases they don't do any good. Try to keep your words Alizée only.

Do not take this as any kind of limitation on any of you. Feel free to post your opinions and no need to worry much about these. All you need to do is to just think once before posting and that's all. My remark is not in light of any particular reply, rather it's a general request to all of you.

This is one way how we can improve our discussion. Even if someone posts any such comment, do not try to elongate the matter or make comments like "hey, you are not supposed to do this".

Our focus should be on Lili.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mon Maquis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcognito View Post
I am going to ask Euphoria directly: Do you know Alizeé? Do you have direct knowledge of this topic or "her"? Vague, grandiose statements bug me somewhat, but please believe me, I'm not trying to start a fight.
No, Euphoria does not know Alizee, but Euphoria does know me.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:22 PM

JoeNY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
Honestly, I think her singing career is basically over. It would take such a huuuuuuge overhaul to really make her successful again and I just don't think she has the drive or desire anymore. I know her last two albums were an attempt to go outside the box and explore but there is a reason underground music is underground. Frankly, its not that hard to look at the charts and see what is popular. Take that and make something of your own out of it. I've said this before but, I think she got a bit cocky (as would most people in this situation) about her fame from MF. Unfortunately, the French are very fickle when it comes to music and her most hardcore fans really only buy her new albums because they're hers. I'm not trying to be a bitch or only point out her failures but, she has made some bad mistakes and it has cost her.

I mean no disrespect, but she needs to quit F@#%&ING up if she doesn't want to be a joke in France.
I am a big fan of Alizee, not only for her music but as a person. I want to see her succeed in life and be happy even if she never sings another song that I enjoy. That being said, her last 2 CDs on her own did not appeal to me, and I did not buy them like I ate up her other CDs and DVD.
I'm somewhat sad to read people blaming Alizee for the breakup with Mylene. I don't know what prompted the breakup - her marriage, pregnancy, becoming a woman with other priorities, or wanting to escape the typecast of a Lolita - but who's to say Mylene didn't initate it? Maybe Mylene thought she milked the Lolita image enough, and the next step for Alizee would mean crossing into her territory. Jealousy? I think Alizee is more popular in the huge U.S. market today than Mylene ever was or could hope to be, but unfortunately, the U.S. is 5 years late on the Alizee phenomenon. If there was ever a foreign artist who could break into the U.S. charts with a non-English song like Nena did in the 80s, I'd put all my money on Alizee. And this whole premise that Mylene was solely responsible for the Alizee phenomenon is ridiculous. Mylene can groom 100 teen girls to sing the songs she produced for Alizee, and I highly doubt they could ever reach the appeal of Alizee. Who's to say Boutonnat wasn't responsible for Alizee's early success? Alizee put Mylene Farmer on the map for me, not the other way around. Anyway, I have no animosity towards Mylene and I don't think she's evil in leaving Alizee out in the cold. Enough rambling. Let's get back to Alizee's career.

I do agree that Alizee's singing career may be over. Alizee is not a musician. All of us know that she was trained as a dancer and not as a singer, but she is so talented that she seemed a natural at singing too. But singing is only half of the equation to good music. You need someone to put the lyrics and tunes together to go with the voice. Alizee doesn't have the background or experience in that part, and that is why her music career is floundering. I love Alizee's voice. It is very unique. If Alizee put together a CD of just cover songs of popular songs, I would buy it. I love her cover songs of Ella, Elle L'a, Il Jouait Du Piano Debout, and La Isla Bonita just as much or more than the Mylene/Boutonnat composed songs. So if Alizee can't find a good composer for her next album, I suggest she just buy the rights to some old classics and make a cover song album. I would buy it.

Another avenue that I wish Alizee would pursue is acting. I always thought she would make the perfect James Bond girl. Now that she is "legal" for us to ogle her as Bond's love interest, why not?!! Acting is not difficult especially with someone as talented as Alizee. She would be a natural. She already has the beauty and celebrity status, and that helps a long way. I would pay to see any movie that Alizee appears in. Well, maybe not a horror movie, unless Alizee is doing the killing.

So there are my 2 directions for Alizee's professional future. I hope Mylene left Alizee with some money from her first 2 albums and extensive tour. From reading items on the internet, it seemed Mylene was running a child slave labor camp with Alizee. Alizee does have a protective mom and dad, so I doubt that happened.

Last edited by JoeNY; 02-03-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Old 02-03-2011, 03:47 PM
"C'est de la bombe"

Jake04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNY View Post
I am a big fan of Alizee, not only for her music but as a person. I want to see her succeed in life and be happy even if she never sings another song that I enjoy. That being said, her last 2 CDs on her own did not appeal to me, and I did not buy them like I ate up her other CDs and DVD.
I'm somewhat sad to read people blaming Alizee for the breakup with Mylene. I don't know what prompted the breakup - her marriage, pregnancy, becoming a woman with other priorities, or wanting to escape the typecast of a Lolita - but who's to say Mylene didn't initate it? Maybe Mylene thought she milked the Lolita image enough, and the next step for Alizee would mean crossing into her territory. Jealousy? I think Alizee is more popular in the huge U.S. market today than Mylene ever was or could hope to be, but unfortunately, the U.S. is 5 years late on the Alizee phenomenon. If there was ever a foreign artist who could break into the U.S. charts with a non-English song like Nena did in the 80s, I'd put all my money on Alizee. And this whole premise that Mylene was solely responsible for the Alizee phenomenon is ridiculous. Mylene can groom 100 teen girls to sing the songs she produced for Alizee, and I highly doubt they could ever reach the appeal of Alizee. Who's to say Boutonnat wasn't responsible for Alizee's early success? Alizee put Mylene Farmer on the map for me, not the other way around. Anyway, I have no animosity towards Mylene and I don't think she's evil in leaving Alizee out in the cold. Enough rambling. Let's get back to Alizee's career.

I do agree that Alizee's singing career may be over. Alizee is not a musician. All of us know that she was trained as a dancer and not as a singer, but she is so talented that she seemed a natural at singing too. But singing is only half of the equation to good music. You need someone to put the lyrics and tunes together to go with the voice. Alizee doesn't have the background or experience in that part, and that is why her music career is floundering. I love Alizee's voice. It is very unique. If Alizee put together a CD of just cover songs of popular songs, I would buy it. I love her cover songs of Ella, Elle L'a, Il Jouait Du Piano Debout, and La Isla Bonita just as much or more than the Mylene/Boutonnat composed songs. So if Alizee can't find a good composer for her next album, I suggest she just buy the rights to some old classics and make a cover song album. I would buy it.

Another avenue that I wish Alizee would pursue is acting. I always thought she would make the perfect James Bond girl. Now that she is "legal" for us to ogle her as Bond's love interest, why not?!! Acting is not difficult especially with someone as talented as Alizee. She would be a natural. She already has the beauty and celebrity status, and that helps a long way. I would pay to see any movie that Alizee appears in. Well, maybe not a horror movie, unless Alizee is doing the killing.

So there are my 2 directions for Alizee's professional future. I hope Mylene left Alizee with some money from her first 2 albums and extensive tour. From reading items on the internet, it seemed Mylene was running a child slave labor camp with Alizee. Alizee does have a protective mom and dad, so I doubt that happened.
Nice first post. Welcome to AAm, JoeNY!
Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
but who's to say Mylene didn't initate it?
I think Alizée said. Sorry I don't have a source to give—that's only what I've heard from people here. It's just sort of common knowledge. Maybe someone can dig up an interview or a statement from Alizée.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:27 PM

JoeNY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmith View Post
I think Alizée said. Sorry I don't have a source to give—that's only what I've heard from people here. It's just sort of common knowledge. Maybe someone can dig up an interview or a statement from Alizée.
I also got the impression from interviews that Alizee walked away from Mylene, but that doesn't make Alizee a bad person. I could see Mylene being an overprotective godmother to Alizee, and probably didn't approve of Alizee and Jeremy. I could see how any independent 20-year old could object to anyone including mom and dad telling her whom she could love or not. You have to admit, eloping and marrying Jeremy in Las Vegas would seem like an impulsive thing that a naive, young woman would do. Where her parents even at their wedding?

Let's be optimistic of Alizee's future and stop calling her a has-been. Alizee is 27 years old now. Mylene, her mentor, didn't release her first album until she was 23 or 24. Madonna, her teen idol, didn't release her first album until she was 25 or so. Mylene and Madonna's careers had highs and lows too.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think Alizee is more popular in the huge U.S. market today than Mylene ever was or could hope to be, but unfortunately, the U.S. is 5 years late on the Alizee phenomenon.
LOL, you're joking right? Pretty sure Mylene has sold over 25 million albums worldwide and holds the record of number one hits in France, breaking her own record. She is one of the most successful artists of all time in France.

The problem with Alizee in the US is that Americans are just too stuck up for French songs. If she wants to be successful in the US (which I don't think she does, personally) she would have to record a completely English album. Seriously.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mon Maquis is on a distinguished road

I look at it this way...

If Alizee was serious about her music career, she would fix the broken links on her website so where you can buy the music. Goes to show you she does not even look at her website.

2nd we would be getting monthly newsletters that she has a sign-up for...have you received one?

She would list her old albums she made on her website for new fans to discover. But since she is not getting royalty checks from that, I guess I would not have that on my website too...

She would write her fans or tweet back to them like other artists do. How many hand written letters, emails, myspace, facebook and twitter posts have us the fans done and not one person gets a response back.

Sooooo.... again we are back to Alizee does what she wants and that is that...