Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée News

Old 09-26-2014, 04:23 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray4AJ View Post
Interesting you mentioned that about her voice. A few nights ago I was watching the DVD from the 2002 Les Enfoirés show. When she started singing in this song, I suddenly thought she sounded very much like she does these days.

I've always thought she sounded different these days compared to back then, but I think her vocals in the recordings (and playbacks) back in her first albums and performances were tweaked quite a bit. Maybe. The original version did have a certain sound, and coming late to the party I always wondered why she didn't sound like she does now back then.

Well I was trying to be tactful I'll say for lack of a better word. I'm sure her voice has changed with age, but the main reason her singing ML now doesn't sound as good as it did back then is because before it was tweaked quite a bit. At least back then, MF and LB knew when a song needed to be tweaked. The tweaking or lack there of is most noticeable during her performance in Korea where she had to sing live.

Now normally tweaking a song would cause me to doubt a singer's abilities, but by the time I realized ML wasn't what it appeared to be, I had been blown away by her live voice in En Concert, so I accepted ML for what it was, a beautiful "creation" by MF, LB and of course Alizee.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 09-26-2014 at 04:26 AM..
Old 09-26-2014, 09:52 AM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Go back another year to the 2001 Les Enfoires. Here is the edited version that was cut from over nine minutes to two and half. The shortened version is all Alizée.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I'm sure Alizée's voice has changed a bit due to her being older now. But I still think a big part of this is caused by a lack of consistent vocal rehearsal and coaching over the years. If you listen to her performance on Graines de Star, you hear a voice that is strong, even if lacking refinement. Her voice is especially strong in the chorus. Listen towards the end during the interview portion when she sings a few lines a cappella. Though not perfect, it is strong. She already had good presence on stage and moved very well. And this is all before she had even worked with Mylène.

I'm sure when Mylène saw this video, she knew Alizée had what it takes and just needed a good coach and teacher to get her to the next level.

The next video I'm sure everyone has seen before. It is early in her career, and she is singing live in this performance. The backing music is playback, and so are the added vocals in the chorus, but the lead vocal is being sung live. It's a tad unsteady and a bit pitchy here and there, but a good performance for someone so young and inexperienced. In my opinion, she has not sung this song this good since En Concert.

In preparation for the En Concert tour, Alizée said that Mylène had her work 2 hours every day. These sessions included a regimen of physical exercise and training, as well as vocal rehearsal. To me, this was so important for her development. When I hear Alizée sing live today, I can still hear the unique tone of her voice, the soaring highs and deep lows she can achieve, but I don't hear the refinement and confidence one would expect after having gained another 10 years of professional experience since the En Concert days. In my opinion, without someone like Mylène working her and coaching her, she has not developed as much as I think she could have. As a matter of fact, in many ways I think her live singing has lost some ground. In any case, that's how I account for the way she sounds today relative to how she sounded 10 years ago. It’s not like Alizée has been singing in a gigging band or performed half a dozen tours in the last 10 years. If you added up the number of hours she has sung live and in live rehearsal during this time, it would probably be a surprisingly small amount.

As far as any tweaking being done to her voice on her albums, I think very little if any was done. Although it's much harder to tell with an album like Blonde since they used Autotune as an effect. I think Alizée has gained more experience singing in a studio setting, plus you can comp a number of takes together to get one good track. That's something you can't do live, but comping multiple takes does not fall under the heading of “tweaking”.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:01 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

The part I thought that was overly tweaked was in Alcaline with 3 lines,
Des vies au ralenti
J’ai pas envie d’être ici
Et la musique repartee
at about the 2:20 mark and I'm talking about the cd. I've heard some Youtube videos where it didn't sound so bad but for me with the album cd, it was almost irritating, but overall, I love this song along with K O.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:29 AM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Linda Ronstadt, thirty albums and Eleven Grammy Awards had an interesting interview where she talked about how much work she had to put into her singing before she got it right. Even after she got famous it took her ten years working six to eight hours a day before she got control of her voice.

Interview
Comments on her singing starts around two minutes.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
When I hear Alizée sing live today, I can still hear the unique tone of her voice, the soaring highs and deep lows she can achieve, but I don't hear the refinement and confidence one would expect after having gained another 10 years of professional experience since the En Concert days.”
I think she will always be able to acheive great things when the right song comes along in regard to singing live and "the soaring highs and deep lows she can achieve". I don't think it's over the top to say many of us here were blown away with her voice in this performance which imo is her best live perfomance in many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
In my opinion, she has not sung this song this good since En Concert.

Yeah that has always been another extra special performance.

:EDIT:

Hmm, I just noticed the La vie par procuration vid I posted is a bit out of sync compared to the HQ version I have on my computer.. is anyone else experiencing that??

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur

Last edited by Un-rêve; 09-27-2014 at 05:57 PM..
Old 09-27-2014, 05:47 PM
HipHopHead

Jacotey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un-rêve View Post
I think she will always be able to acheive great things when the right song comes along in regard to singing live and "the soaring highs and deep lows she can achieve". I don't think it's over the top to say many of us here were blown away with her voice in this performance which imo is her best live perfomance in many years.
I don't want to destroy your... happiness? But some of the fans think that it's a lip-sync, I'm not sure about it just like I'm not sure if it's live. But I like this cover so much and I really hope that it was a live performance.

About the topic - I would really love to know the date of broadcast, this Moi... Lolita will be really awesome.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:00 PM
Alizée dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacotey View Post
I don't want to destroy your... happiness? But some of the fans think that it's a lip-sync, I'm not sure about it just like I'm not sure if it's live. But I like this cover so much and I really hope that it was a live performance.
Hmm, I just noticed the La vie par procuration vid I posted is a bit out of sync compared to the HQ version I have on my computer. Hehe well after reading your post and viewing it over and over agian I think maybe it was lip-sync after all but I still luv it just the same minus the mindblowing senario.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:07 PM

Lucas is on a distinguished road

it was live
Old 09-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Alizée dreamer

^^

Well I went back to the original thread and the question popped up a couple of times whether she was "singing live" on that show or not and this what came up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lili4ever View Post
was she singing live or with backtrack ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by User22 View Post
Definitely live. No way she would have allowed vocal mishaps on backtrack. Generation 90 Moi...Lolita on the other hand...that was backtracked because it was perfect key-wise.