Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Media Section > DALS

Old 03-14-2015, 04:57 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough
Default Translation of DALS and other shows.

I've been wanting to find a way to get translations of certain programs, interviews, etc that Alizee has been involved in, in the past, most notably DALS, but of course certainly others. I've been wondering with rapidly progressing technology if there might be a program out there that you can feed audio in to and get the text and a translation out of it. Actually a translation wouldn't be all that necessary with the translation services now available, but we all now they have their limitations.

So I haven't found anything yet, that doesn't have some type of issue, so I thought about checking out some translation services on line. I haven't been able to find much along those lines, so I thought to target people who teach French. So I checked out some stuff and one company I contacted hooked me up via e-mail with several French teachers.

I thought about whether to just give them a short story, i.e. "I want part of some French tv shows, interviews, songs translated.". but decided to give them (to borrow a line from a movie) my tale of woe.

It included a short story about Alizee and Mylene Farmer. It discussed Alizee's successes and failures, her marriage, Les Enfoires and DALS. and her affect on my life.

Well most of them probably thought I was nutty as a fruit cake, but I did receive this reply from someone who I will only reveal her first name and that is Marguerite.

David,

You made smile all the reading way. I'm very please to know about you David. I know Alizee very well, I used to LOVE her as a teenager. Honestly, everyone of my age used to love her. Also, having her in dance with the stars last year was phenomenal. In other words, I'm a fan too. It happens, I watched the last DALS of 2014 and saw her winning. Everyone was very moved and pleased to see her back on the screen. I missed the DALS 5 but I'll be very please to follow DALS 6, already announced.

I'm 26 and moved in New England just 7 months ago from Paris, where I spent almost all my life. I know very much the music, the culture and all the stars you named bellow. Pascal Obispo is one of my favorite and Zazz is shining like the star she is. I also LOVE Indilla ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtNJMAyeP0s ), Stromae (From Belgium) you probably heard of them!

I couldn't be more pleased to read you and hope to be part of this project!! It's hard for me to know how long each episode last, since they are all the time cut with commercials. If you have the information please let me know. ************************************. I really hope this project become a long time partnership.

Best,
Marguerite

So I'm not sure how this will work out price wise. I will definitely have the DALS last show when Alizee won translated and depending how much that costs, may have much more done.

If she's working as a French teacher, her English must be very good too. So it will be very interesting to not only get her interpretations, but also get some of her views on what it was like, living in Paris and being a fan of Alizee. She's 26 which is close to Alizee's age which is almost perfect. So I'm hoping this will be a great find for the forum, depending upon how the costs and other things work out.

After I get the translation for the final 2013 DALS show, I will add subtitles either by embedding them in the video or through closed captions. I will also post the text in here so for people who just want to read them, they can do so.

There is a problem on how to make the video available to everyone. I''ve been trying hard to straighten out my DC++ hub account, but still haven't been able to work that out. Of course I have to investigate the legalness of that and take that into consideration for the sake of the forum. But for whoever is interested in seeing it or whatever else that might come available, we will find a way to get it to them.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 03-14-2015 at 05:14 PM..
Old 03-15-2015, 02:27 PM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Very interesting idea Scruffy.

As you commented, the cost is the big issue - the others are secondary.

DC++ is a detail that I am sure can be solved. It is probably the primary way you want to distribute everything.

Let me suggest that you take each reference recording and rename it, with the permission of the original author when known, to a particular standard. For example, start all filenames with something like "ATPS-" or "ATP_Scruffy-" (Alizée Translation Project by Scruffy). This way, all files of this type will group together. Also, everyone will know exactly which file is the reference. In addition, if others get involve, then they could hold the first 3 letters the same and change the end to reflect the different author or source.

For DALS, I assume that you are thinking of just using a version that has Alizée highlights. The full show would be too long (and expensive) and would be more apt to raise legal issues. This shows are already on DC++ so I doubt there would be any objection to making them available them there.

Again, interesting idea Scruffy.

Edit:

Looking at the automated route - I have looked into dictation programs before, and been told that most of these programs are very voice sensitive. In other words, they have to be trained to understand each voice. I will admit that I wonder if this is true for all, as programs like the default Windows dictation program does not seem to have this requirement. So, maybe there is something out there that would work that I have yet to stumble across.

Bottom line is that if you could get the video's language in writing, then the translation portion becomes much more manageable.

Last edited by Rev; 03-15-2015 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 03-15-2015, 07:35 PM

That's a good idea about the file name Rev. As far as which Alizée version I will use, in DALS 9 where she won, I want to get just about every second that has to do with her. It was such a great moment in the Alizée story, that I'm not worried about price. Now the other shows will be a lot shorter as far as the parts about Alizée and so should not be a problem.

And the end product will be a lot shorter because this is for her fans and I think in most cases, they wont want to watch the others, especially if they've seen it before.

I also saw that there is at least part of show 5 I think it was on youtube with French subtitles that I can translate which will be a plus and I'm sure there may be more.

As far as how to get the files to members outside of the ones that have DC++ hub, would be to just send the files to them by mail, if that's legal, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it and we will cross it.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:11 AM
Alizee Hub Janitor

digimaze is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Policy regarding original contributions to the Alizée Hub

Files that are distributed by fans within the Hub are expected to retain their source identifier after they are downloaded and re-distributed. You'll see plenty of examples of this:

OLYMPIO who has been contributing caps of French performances to the Hub since 2003.

FAIRYTALE our senior Hub Operator who caps fantastic HD Music Vids and live performances from all over Western Europe.

Jenny_HRO87 who has generously shared with us her Alizée fan cams and photos.

My own caps, called the "DIGI-ARCHIVE" of live performances from TV chat and award shows that I've been maintaining since the days of VHS.

... this is just a few people off the top of my head and is no means an all-inclusive list. My apologies to anyone I have overlooked.

All "substantial original contributions" are protected: television captures, fan-based edits, original photo-montages, and yes: fan-based subtitles are covered, too. Minor contributions like re-encodes and/or minor edits of caps available elsewhere, are not covered. Since all files shared within the Hub have a unique hash ID, spotting re-named files using the command "search for alternates" is very easily done.

Why you're still having problems accessing the Hub is a mystery to me. You (or anyone else) can message me there without logging in or being registered for online tech support. Could it be that your connection is defaulting to a passive one? If that is the case, your client will still tell you that you are active even though you ain't. Passive connections can only connect to active ones, not other passive users... like ME for example. Try grabbing a file list from an active user like Luc or rayfer. If you are successful, but you cannot get my list, you just might be passive. Contact me at the Hub and we'll sort through the options for you.

As far as what to call your files, I've been using the same naming convention for years:

"Artist Name/Song Title/ Venue/Date/Source/Resolution"

First of all, the file sorts correctly in Windows Explorer. Secondly, it is not dependent on a containing folder for part of it's identification, which is critical if you are downloading tons of stuff into one folder called "downloads' and at some point in time you gotta figure out where all that stuff goes without watching each and every file.

Here's an example from a recent cap I shared:

"Christina Aguilera, Blake Shelton, Adam Levine & Pharrell Williams - Are You Gonna Go My Way (The Voice US - 2015-03-01) [digi-archive 1080i].ts"

Good luck with your project! It sounds very exciting.

Last edited by digimaze; 03-17-2015 at 02:22 AM..
Old 03-17-2015, 03:08 PM

I think my DC++ hub problem is just a problem of not being able to register. All my settings are on auto. It keeps saying I'm not allowed to chat, not allowed to download from operators or vips, not allowed to have kids, etc.

Everything seems to look fine. I'm online, but when I click on a file list to download, it drops down to the bottom of screen and shows the download arrow, but nothing happens.

I've tried pming a few ops, most noticeably Robocop, but never got a reply. I did just a little while ago, tried to pm digimaze. Hopefully he'll get my message.

EDIT: Well thanks to digimaze, I'm back on line in the DC++ hub, so this will help with getting the Enlgish subtitles to a lot of the fans out there and we'll find ways to get the files to the other people who want them who aren't a part of the hub..

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 03-18-2015 at 04:09 AM..
Old 03-18-2015, 07:15 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
EDIT: Well thanks to digimaze, I'm back on line in the DC++ hub, so this will help with getting the Enlgish subtitles to a lot of the fans out there and we'll find ways to get the files to the other people who want them who aren't a part of the hub..

Welcome back!

This sounds like a great project.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:21 AM

I'm pretty excited about getting this done but unfortunately, the ball wont really start rolling until the 1st of the month.