Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 06-21-2010, 10:20 PM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

All I hear is you guys talking about your feelings for animated cowboys, spacemen, and Barbie and Ken dolls, and I gotta be honest, I'm not exactly comfortable with that.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:02 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Wink Summer Movies - Feh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVVACCPLPNLY View Post
All I hear is you guys talking about your feelings for animated cowboys, spacemen, and Barbie and Ken dolls, and I gotta be honest, I'm not exactly comfortable with that.
Whooo... I second that!

I'm sure I'll have to see this movie when it comes out on DVD/BluRay, but I'm hoping to be able to put it off until then. The kids were just watching Toy Story 1 and 2 within the last couple of weeks, but now that they're on summer break, we're trying to keep them signed up with lots of activities so we don't have to resort to taking them to the movies. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there's so many things for kids to do around here when the weather's nice. And the weather just isn't nice here for so much of the year.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:26 AM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
Literally, just got back from watching it.

I did not like it at all. I thought they focused more on the visual aspect more than they did the story. I had all sorts of complaints throughout the whole time; they could have developed the bear's character a bit more, the barbie-ken subplot was lame, a theater FULL of children and grandmas who thought each freaking second of the Night and Day short was SO HILARIOUS THAT YOU HAD TO TRY AND BREAK THE SOUND BARRIER, all the loud and busy action sequences (particularly the dump sequence) I felt was a bit too startling for the target audience, I don't know how Jim Varney impersonaters sleep at night, etc.
(plus, being awake since 6pm yesterday to 3pm today didn't help either)

I will always prefer the original Toy Story above the others. It had a good story, interesting characters, a well executed presentation...

In a way, Toy Story will always be lightyears ahead of 2 and 3
I think a lot of movies do that these days! Everything's released in OMG 3D now and they see that as an excuse to make everything else suck.

I hated that stupid short. I couldn't figure out what it was for the longest time, like "is this a preview? a commercial? the longest studio logo thinger ever?" I don't see the point in showing a little cartoon before your actual movie, I hope they don't start doing that often.

Also, we happened to see it in 3D and my little sisters (10 and 5) were scared in a lot of the more action-y scenes, I know a lot of other kids were too so you're not the only one who thinks so.

Edit:

Quote:
I LOVED Toy Story as a kid and watched it a lot, so there are a lot of memories I associate with the characters and movie in general. So during that ending, after having watched the movie and played with the toys for my whole childhood, it was hard to let go of them since it is the end of the franchise.

Anybody who says seeing such a big part of your childhood come to a close isn't hard for them is lying.

Last edited by Azhiri; 06-22-2010 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 06-22-2010, 06:26 AM

Dang... Another rvb quote gone to waste...
Old 06-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

I thought the short was a cartoon or something and the movie would open on Andy watching it... but the mix between 2D and 3D animation threw me off... wait, I know what it was- it was about 5 minutes too long.

I don't like this whole "3D" thing. I don't believe we've yet achieved the ability to properly portray 3D (if you want 3D, just open your eyes and look around).
3D involves space, light, form, etc, and how they all play together... not just the different parts of the 2D (a single frame of something recorded is 2D, no matter how hard you try) isolated and set in different Z coordinate (*cough*honey I shrunk the audience*cough*)

(plus, something with my eyes doesn't allow me to see that crap correctly)

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
I LOVED Toy Story as a kid and watched it a lot, so there are a lot of memories I associate with the characters and movie in general. So during that ending, after having watched the movie and played with the toys for my whole childhood, it was hard to let go of them since it is the end of the franchise.

Anybody who says seeing such a big part of your childhood come to a close isn't hard for them is lying.
I don't like the idea of remakes in the first place. I find it to be an insult to the original, as in "Oh, you're too old now... nowadays nobody likes you because you aren't good enough for us now"

The Smurfs: a great cartoon that added a color to my childhood. About to be perverted by the cliché of 3D animation and the ol "omg harf harf harf they're in New York and they don't belong there harf harf" trick in a theater near you

Where the Wild Things Are: a piece of literature slapped with a "books are obsolete and like, stupid" sticker right on it's forehead

I am Legend: *tear*

Last edited by user472884; 06-22-2010 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Lili Loyal

paintballpdh19 is on a distinguished road

i hear its good, i will have to see it soon.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM

Drake498 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
I hated that stupid short. I couldn't figure out what it was for the longest time, like "is this a preview? a commercial? the longest studio logo thinger ever?" I don't see the point in showing a little cartoon before your actual movie, I hope they don't start doing that often.
Pixar has been doing animated shorts in all their movies starting from the original Toy Story with Geri's Game shown before. Its a staple of Pixar and don't believe its going anywhere. Besides, cartoon shorts used to be included either before the movie or during the intermission back when films started, something you're probably too young to know or remember. This is another nostalgic element that Pixar has brought back from the earlier 19th century.

Furthermore, the short was very conceptual, bringing 3D and 2D as one. It was about 2 "entities" day and night, being complete opposites but eventually see the positives in each other and gain mutual trust and respect likewise. It's about personal growth for after they essentially change identities when day becomes night and vice versa, they part amicably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post
I don't like this whole "3D" thing. I don't believe we've yet achieved the ability to properly portray 3D (if you want 3D, just open your eyes and look around).
3D involves space, light, form, etc, and how they all play together... not just the different parts of the 2D (a single frame of something recorded is 2D, no matter how hard you try) isolated and set in different Z coordinate
(plus, something with my eyes doesn't allow me to see that crap correctly)
While I do understand that 3D is encompassing and to fully achieve such a marvel we must eventually sit in an entire screened room to give us the illusion of space, technology in modern usage is not available yet. I welcome the addition of depth perception, however small, to movies today, because at least its a step in the right direction. Why even bother seeing the movie in 3D if you dont like it? See it in 2D then. Besides, as you mentioned a few times, if its a problem with your eyes that dont allow you to see that "crap" correctly, then its hard to blame the film, and furthermore, the experience for that.
And with the little kids, yeah I understand they're obnoxiously loud, but again, if it was the yelling children ruining youre experience, you can't blame the movie itself.

Je t'aime Alizée

Last edited by Drake498; 06-22-2010 at 01:00 PM..
Old 06-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Man Among Men

puffyrock2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dang... Another rvb quote gone to waste...
The 'not comfortable' thing was a Red Vs. Blue quote? If not, I think you'll understand why some of us are so attached to the Toy Story characters after you see the movie. After all, these animated characters have more charm and personality than the majority of real life characters in most movies. Very human and multi-layred....it's pretty amazing. That's great screenwriting for ya.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:22 PM

Yeah, it was. The red team thought one of their guys dies (the pink, metrosexual one, Donut), and one guy said 'I'll miss him like a sister!', their sergeant said 'I'll miss him like, well, like someone I knew, but that I don't want to reflect on how deep our relatonship actually went.' Then the last red guy said 'All I hear is you guys talking about your feelings for Donut, and I gotta say, I'm not exactly comfortable with that.' Seriously, you guys need to watch that show! It's on youtube. There are 100 episodes, each is ~5 minutes long. The shortest is probably closer to 2 mins, but the final episode is like 17 mins.

Edit:

Also, I understand eactly what you mean puffy. I have a lot of strong feelings about Toy Story 1, it was my first movie I can really remember. Hence why I am so apprehensive of the new one, made by the same people responsible for Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers. *shudders* Eugh...

Last edited by VVVACCPLPNLY; 06-22-2010 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 06-22-2010, 04:23 PM

Melle A. is on a distinguished road

My brother see it!! I don't because I prefer Toy Story 2, is the best one.