Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Translations

Old 05-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toc De Mac View Post
I have to say that only recently have I been able to appreciate Psychédélices as an album. From the time that I bought the album when it was released to a couple of months ago, I couldn't get into it. The style was too startlingly different from Gourmandises and Mes Courants Electriques, and I couldn't help but classify (most of) the songs as generic and lacking of soul.

But now I feel as if the album functions very coherently, and while its beauty isn't perhaps as obvious as that of her two former albums, it's definitely there.
I think Boutonnat’s music, as well as being really good, is also immediately accessible. Psychédélices does take a little more getting used to. I had no problem going from Mylene’s lyrics to Jean Fauque’s. But the hardest thing for me to get used to was the music itself, and more precisely, the arrangements. The mix tends to be sparse, and the little sounds and noises interspersed throughout the album didn’t make up for that. They seemed like gimmicks rather than musical ideas. Alizée's voice sits somewhat cold and naked in the mix at times. I think this is why the songs give that first impression of being generic and lacking soul. Some of the arrangements did not support “soul” very well.

Boutonnat provided a lush, musical, wall of sound - a rich, warm blanket to wrap around Alizée's voice. To me, that was the biggest difference between old and new. If it had been up to me, I would have had different arrangements on some of the songs, not different songs. I really do like the songs themselves on Psych and despite what I've said I feel it was a good album. I feel sad that it wasn’t more appreciated, especially in France.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:12 PM
M'alizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
well, i just got this album today.. and i have to say, except for a few songs, it was kinda.. dissapointing.

i liked Lilly town, fifty sixty and mademoiselle juliette a lot, and i thought Decollage and lonely list were intresting. but that was pretty much it.

and Par les paupieres? what is with that song?
Old 05-24-2009, 02:35 PM
In pursuit...

mavsluver41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'alizee View Post
and Par les paupieres? what is with that song?
Really, you didn't like it? That was my favorite song on the album ! The album is different - everyone agrees on that count - but I guess it suits some people's taste more than others. There are very few albums, by any artist, that please everyone anyway. I really liked Psychédélices not only for the songs (I only found two or three bland, the rest I enjoyed), but also for what it represented: the first time Alizée was able to truly be an artist by herself and express her own tastes .
Old 05-24-2009, 02:37 PM
M'alizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsluver41 View Post
That was my favorite song on the album !
was? XD^^. sry
Old 08-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

so in between classes, i was surfing the Alizee wikipedia pages and related links and such, and apparently there are 2 Fifty-Sixty official music video remixes that have never been aired?

has anyone heard/seen these mysterious goodies? and more importantly, know where i can get mah hands on them?

here's the link to the page i read it on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty-Sixty

Old 08-28-2009, 03:18 PM

AceTone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
so in between classes, i was surfing the Alizee wikipedia pages and related links and such, and apparently there are 2 Fifty-Sixty official music video remixes that have never been aired?

has anyone heard/seen these mysterious goodies? and more importantly, know where i can get mah hands on them?

here's the link to the page i read it on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty-Sixty
http://www.psychedeclips.com/

Note that when you watch the Rubato version, there's a better version linked at the bottom of the video under Download.
Oh, and if you never watched that one, ... Enjoy!

Last edited by AceTone; 08-28-2009 at 03:32 PM..
Old 08-28-2009, 05:06 PM

Criss_pl is on a distinguished road

They are great videos, you must see them It seems to me that they aren't very popular.
And to say something to topic about album. My favourite song is Psychédélices, I love lyrics and I would like see it as a single. But L'effet is even better, very impressive and emotional lyrics for me. Decollage is also good, but why I write so much. This album just don't have bad songs, they aren't boring, each is unique, music is various. When I heard this album first time I didn't had the feeling that all songs are the same (recently I was listening to some songs from one album and that was terrible, all songs were similar)

Last edited by Criss_pl; 08-28-2009 at 07:53 PM..
Old 08-28-2009, 05:28 PM

Alex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss_pl View Post
They are great videos, you must see them It seems to me that they aren't very popular.
And to say something to topic about album. My favourite song is Psychédélices, I love lyrics and I would like see it as a single. But L'effet is even better, very impressive and emotional lyrics for me. Decollage is also good, but why I write so much. This album just don't have bad songs, they aren't boring, each is unique, music is various. When I heard this album first time I didn't had the feeling that all songs are the same.
Me neither, I didnt have a problem or felt this album was the same in all songs. I really enjoyed it, as you said each song is different and unique, but overall I enjoy it! XD
Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceTone View Post
http://www.psychedeclips.com/

Note that when you watch the Rubato version, there's a better version linked at the bottom of the video under Download.
Oh, and if you never watched that one, ... Enjoy!
thanks for the link!

i have to say.. the rubato one was slighty creepy. especially with the red lighting and such..

ima just leave it at that i like the original fifty sixty music video the best.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:15 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Psych...

Wasabi! You got Psyched!

Personally, gotta say, at first I hated a couple of the songs there. A few of em (Jamais Plus, L'Effet, etc) just disappointed me, at first. But as CrissPL pointed out, there's a LOT of variety in this record. In the songs, styles, tempos, and especially in the vocals. And it all holds together! Some records will just bore you after a listen or two, but this one does the opposite! And the more you listen, the more you'll hear--they crammed in a lot of different techniques, sounds, weird instruments, stereo separation tricks, and more.

So don't worry, take your time with it. Even the songs I hated I now like, love, or at least have a respect for.

Hey, here's something... After hearing it on the Victrola several times, I copied the disk to an mp3 player, and put on the headphones, and suddenly I started hearing things I couldn't believe were there before! Par Les Paupieres, for example, or the title track-- The difference surprised me so much, I still can't describe it, but ... Well okay, I'll try. It's like when you get to Oz, and you think it's really cool and all, and THEN they open the gate and let you in, and you're all like WOW!

Did that make sense? Or would a Tardis analogy be better?

Has anyone else noticed this "headphone effect"? This Psychedelices is one of the most amazing, densely layered, fastidiously produced, all around beautiful albums of all time. I give it a thumbs up. So would God Himself, if he had a copy. And another record coming soon! Now I'm psyched.