Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 07-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Francophile!:D

Tye is on a distinguished road
Default Can you study languages as a profession.

Is there a profession that involves the study of languages? Like there structures, how they work, how we learn them, and how they affect our brain and us. I have become interested in how and why languages work the way they do and would love to follow this interest and learn more about languages and possibly make it a life's pursuit to study them.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Le fan irlandais

Killian is on a distinguished road

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics

Of course you can. You'd be a linguist.

Is mo páis agus mo inspioráid í Alizée. Níl aon scamall sa spéir nuair a feicim nó cloisim í.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:59 PM
<<My cat watching Alizee

Alizee_is_Scottish! is on a distinguished road

And if you become very skilful, you could be a cunning linguist - and I've never met a woman who doesn't like that.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:08 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Tye, the first step is to learn many different languages. You can't learn linguistics if you don't have experience with language structure already. And I don't mean taking some CD-ROM course, I mean taking language courses in college/university.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistics

Of course you can. You'd be a linguist.
Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by espire View Post
Tye, the first step is to learn many different languages. You can't learn linguistics if you don't have experience with language structure already. And I don't mean taking some CD-ROM course, I mean taking language courses in college/university.

I plan to study French in college, and I would also like to study German. I wonder how many languages I should learn?

Last edited by Tye; 07-23-2007 at 10:20 PM..
Old 07-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Le fan irlandais

Killian is on a distinguished road

As a linguist, it would be necessary to learn Latin/Greek, so as to inderstand the roots of modern Western languages, if you wanted to be a serious linguist. Remember, they study languages in the same detail and time consumption that mathematicians and physicists etc. pend in their field. As a result, a real knowledge of the field would be necessary to make it a career and not a hobby.

Is mo páis agus mo inspioráid í Alizée. Níl aon scamall sa spéir nuair a feicim nó cloisim í.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:28 AM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye View Post
Thanks for the link!

I plan to study French in college, and I would also like to study German. I wonder how many languages I should learn?

The sky's the limit! French and German are very useful languages for linguistics since a lot of the linguistics literature was published in those languages.

Regarding Latin and Greek, I think that all kind of depends on your specialization. Some subfields will require that knowledge more than others. If you're doing historical linguistics of Indo-European languages, then certainly yes, but perhaps less so if you're studying some other language family. Some native English speakers study various aspects of English (and so forth) and don't really necessarily use a whole lot of foreign language knowledge in their work.

But certainly a deep knowledge of a foreign language gives one a lot of perspective on the structure of languages in general (if you've ever asked a native speaker of a language why a tricky grammatical point works in a certain way, you may have heard the response "I dunno...I just speak the language!"). Furthermore, learning a language that is very different from your native one can be very eye-opening. For English speakers, something like Chinese, or Hungarian, or some other non-Indo-European language, can give a very different perspective on how one "cuts up" the world linguistically. Just as an example, a lot of early Western work on non-IE languages suffered from attempts to coerce the descriptions of them into a "Latinate" model of grammar, e.g., generating a I/you/he-she-it verb conjugation grid for Japanese verbs, which is useless since there is no such morphology in Japanese.

Immersion is key. If you really love French, get a hold of a text and some CDs (or a college Internet course) and learn some grammar and vocabulary. Here's a freebie (Foreign Service official text): not the most colorful, but authoritative (and free!):
http://fsi-language-courses.com/French.aspx
And look for native speakers, things to listen to (e.g., pop music ) and so forth.

One very important thing when learning a language is, in my opinion, trying to avoid the tendency to focus on "what's the word for 'X' in language Y" but rather to emphasize "what does a speaker of language Y say in such-and-such situation, and how does s/he behave?" There is rarely a perfect mapping between nouns in English and another language, and even less so with verbs, prepositions (ack!!!), and more complicated constructs. Learning how to abstract away how you think about a situation from the words you use to describe it is a very valuable skill to hone.

Anyway, just my $.02. Please feel free to share your interests and experiences!

Last edited by fsquared; 07-24-2007 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2007, 01:47 AM

fsquared, thanks for the informative post and the link.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:58 AM
Banned

thats amazazazing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye View Post
Is there a profession that involves the study of languages? Like there structures, how they work, how we learn them, and how they affect our brain and us. I have become interested in how and why languages work the way they do and would love to follow this interest and learn more about languages and possibly make it a life's pursuit to study them.
become a translator?

My brother was set on becoming a translator for the UN, because he learned french alot better then i did growing up, (both of my parents are french)

anyways, he got interested in languages at around the age of 8, and he was bottled up in his room alot, reading, and learning, by his sophomore year he was speaking with his mexicans friends fluently, and my father was teaching him german

but if you are a translator, you can do alot of things, like, work for businesses that have ties with more then one country, translate articles or documents, alot of things ^_^

edit: whoops, don't know if my posts counts or not, but alot of language studying is required to be a translator :d

Last edited by thats amazazazing; 07-25-2007 at 05:00 AM..
Old 07-25-2007, 07:07 AM
Gold Member

spaceli0n is on a distinguished road

i too wish to be a translator, just need to pick up my japanese again and learn french, then maybe german. =/ lots of work