Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-17-2014, 01:22 AM

Wizard is on a distinguished road

Hmm, interesting song ( or snippet of one). I'm with Lefty on this one though. It sounds very mainstream pop, and maybe that's the direction Alizée is heading toward- this time. I do have to say that I like the sound of it so far, and that's saying a lot, because I typically don't care much for "pop" music- precisely because it's too mainstream (which brings into question, why I'm even here in this forum in the first place- lol). Then again, there's pop, and there's Alizée. I'm here because of Alizée. My guess is that this album will appeal more to a younger audience- one not so familiar with her early songs. That said, let's give her a break people, and let's hear the whole song and the whole album. I have a feeling this album will be more popular than previous ones. I'm going to reserve additional commentary until the full song is released. As a relative newcomer, I'll have a few blunt opinions, and will probably piss off a few people- but that's the way it is- if anyone cares
Old 03-17-2014, 02:19 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

GREAT start!!!

She has to grab the public. With this song she is attempting to do just that.

Don't worry. She is not going to somehow turn into a different person. However, where she has fallen short in the past is by underestimating how much effort she had to put in to get the public's attention.

This time she is not underestimating. She is firing both barrels.

I hope that this is a totally commercial album - one that get her the attention she needs to continue her career. I hope it is FUN, and danceable, and HIGH ENERGY, and mainstream, and makes the best use of her voice.

I hope people want to flock to her concerts and performances. They will if they know it will be a fun time.

Once she gets over the hump she will have options. Unless she does, it is just a matter of watching her fade. We have been there before and it is not a fun place to be.

I, for one, am looking forward to BLONDE!

Last edited by Rev; 03-17-2014 at 02:23 AM..
Old 03-17-2014, 06:56 AM

Panther is on a distinguished road

I have a question. Why are so many of you so concerned about the commercial 'success' of Alizee's recordings?

There are thousands of excellent musicians and singers all over the world who have long careers making music and who have their loyal fans but who never have 'top 10' or 'top 20 hits'. It does not prevent them from continuing to make music that some people enjoy and that they enjoy making. In fact I would go so far as to say that not bothering about major commercial success gives the artists the freedom to make the music that they want to make rather than some contrived piece of garbage designed to appeal to the masses. If we like the music then what do we care if no one else does?

I happen to really like Emmanuelle Seigner's recordings but she has never had a 'hit' and is never likely to. However she is releasing a new album at the end of this month and I am really looking forward to it. I don't mind that none of my friends have even heard of her. It doesn't prevent me enjoying the music.

So, I repeat the question: why are some of you so hung up about commercial success?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 AM

Karin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
I have a question. Why are so many of you so concerned about the commercial 'success' of Alizee's recordings?

There are thousands of excellent musicians and singers all over the world who have long careers making music and who have their loyal fans but who never have 'top 10' or 'top 20 hits'. It does not prevent them from continuing to make music that some people enjoy and that they enjoy making. In fact I would go so far as to say that not bothering about major commercial success gives the artists the freedom to make the music that they want to make rather than some contrived piece of garbage designed to appeal to the masses. If we like the music then what do we care if no one else does?

I happen to really like Emmanuelle Seigner's recordings but she has never had a 'hit' and is never likely to. However she is releasing a new album at the end of this month and I am really looking forward to it. I don't mind that none of my friends have even heard of her. It doesn't prevent me enjoying the music.

So, I repeat the question: why are some of you so hung up about commercial success?
I think this question has 2 answers:
1. There are fans who pray for a succes, but can live without it too.
2. Fans for who is the succes the only quality indicator. No success = the project is mistake (some people here can guess who I mean)

Old 03-17-2014, 02:01 PM

Panther is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post
2. Fans for who is the succes the only quality indicator. No success = the project is mistake (some people here can guess who I mean)

err, let me think about that for a moment ??? no, I have no idea who you mean

Oh well, I suppose I am lucky because if a recording I like isn't a big commercial success I wont be unhappy about that. I do wonder sometimes how many English people have even heard of Alizee? I haven't met anyone here yet who has and I have to admit I quite like that. It's almost like having her all to myself.

As for making money, I don't think many artists make very much these days from actually selling music. Most of what they earn is either from concerts or merchandise and sponsorship etc off the back of the music. She seems to do ok for money so I guess all the little bits and pieces add up. I'm sure she gets a lot of her expensive clothes for free in return for promoting the brands. That goes on all the time, especially since the advent of social media. Plus she will have earned a fair bit from DALS and associated sponsorship.

I am willing to bet that even if this new album isn't a commercial success, she will still produce another album in the future. She will probably do more dance related stuff - and that's a good thing - but she will still be singing long after she has to give up the dancing.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:34 AM

Bigdan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I have an anwser.
Artists you refer too, as you said, got loyal fans, because they create from the start their own musical universe. In France it's mean that you are considered as an independant artist, and if you manage to keep this image by producing relevant and good albums during many years you can have the hope of making enough money to live.
But Alizée is not and will never be considered as one of them.
She tries with previous album and it didn't work.
She's born as a singer in the mainstream side of the music. That the image she got in France. Her future is in mainstream music . And if she fail, they will be no other way of being in music business for her.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 AM

comjoz is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:

Good point! I agree with every word of this.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:39 AM
Alizée dreamer

Un-rêve is on a distinguished road

^^

Yes.. I have to agree Panther made a really good point.

Alizée, Balayent les maux de cœur
Old 03-19-2014, 11:54 PM

Wizard is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Panther makes a very good point. There are so many outstanding and talented musicians operating on an independent basis, who probably don't care about compromising their independence and artistic vision in order to satisfy some corporate goon in a suit. Maybe Alizée is one of those artists; she seems to behave in that manner, and it's one of the reasons I like her. She's going to do what she wants to do, and I'm cool with that. Besides, the world is full of mainstream pop garbage, and case in point, shows like American Idol, the Voice, etc., (at least in the United States) are hell bent on mass producing mediocrity. They all sound the same. We don't need more of that crap.

I think an answer to Panther's question is that many of her fans simply want to see more of her and see her reach a higher level of recognition, not only in France, but other countries as well, including the United States (unlikely as it may be). We're here because we like her, and we want more people to know of her. The smarter she markets herself, and her label promotes her, the more the rest of the world gets to see and hear her- and that's a good thing. But, if that doesn't happen, I will still follow her. I'm pretty sure she will continue to record albums. Excellent point Panther!

Last edited by Wizard; 03-20-2014 at 12:00 AM..
Old 03-17-2014, 12:45 PM

Karin is on a distinguished road

my view on the single http://bit.ly/1fSqtst