Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 10-31-2006, 08:54 PM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

I've ended up using the 24 hour clock myself because of where I work (at an airport, for the federal government). My watch is set that way, and I speak that way in the latter half of the day.

The time comes out as "sixteen hundred" because, properly written in American military style, it is written 1600, with no colon, no letter h, and nothing else breaking it up. I'm not a purist, and still write it 16:00 myself, but properly I shouldn't. Times before 1000 have are spoken with the sound "Oh" before them (for the 0), so 0400 becomes "Oh four hundred." I get off of work at 0430, spoken "Oh four thirty."

Wow, what a change of subjects.

Around where I am, trick-or-treating is big. Generally, the kids who are doing it are younger (mostly 13 and under), and are just interested in the candy. The vandalism and pranks are done by older people (teens and twenties) who are stupid, and want to cause problems. Mostly the "tricks" involve smashing pumpkins, TP'ing houses or cars, and egging things. Sometimes though, they become dangerous or mean-spirited, with people using paintball guns, or stealing bags of candy from younger kids (called "bag-snatching"). That is kept to a minimum though, and both will get a person beaten up if they're caught by good-hearted people.

Older kids and young adults tend to go to parties instead, where we still dress up in costumes and eat lots of candy, but where we stay in one place to dance, drink, flirt, and listen to music.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:40 AM

rcs is on a distinguished road

Did anybody's girlfriend dress up like Alizee this Halloween (outside of USA of course)?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:29 AM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwd716 View Post
but Celsius not so much.
I just like the way it's been done: 0°C is when water freezes, 100°C is when water boils, then the scale is made around this .
Old 11-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately waters spoiling and freezing point changes, too.

But in Earth's athmosphere, it's still better than F scale. Kelvin scale is of course the best since it has one absolute point that never changes.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Faithful Fan

bt_bird_90 is on a distinguished road

I hate daylight savings time right about now, it get's dark around 5:00 pm. My schedule's f'd as it is so I only get a few hours to see the sun a day. I'm all for fall being cool, but this time of year in particular always gets me down.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:24 PM

Senshi87 is on a distinguished road

im from sweden, but i can say halloween cellebrating like in states has become more common now over the past few years in europe, as originially we celebrate all hallows eve i think you would call it where u go visit the dead and so on.

but now a days u see kinds go trick or treating
Old 11-02-2006, 06:27 AM

Twitch is on a distinguished road

Actually for the record all the French TV stations in Canada that I watch use the 24 hour clock. And when speaking French I try to as well, but it is still not as familiar to me as the AM/PM system.
And on a side note, I have always been curious why is the US never switched to the metric system, when most other countries did. Canada switched in the 70's but we still have some imperial units carried over unofficially because of American influence.(I like the jokes made by Americans who don't realise the temperature is measured in Celcius and think it is a lot colder here than it really is The French in Québec usually use only metric units though (except in cooking because of American published cook books), at least on TV.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Faithful Fan

bt_bird_90 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
Actually for the record all the French TV stations in Canada that I watch use the 24 hour clock. And when speaking French I try to as well, but it is still not as familiar to me as the AM/PM system.
And on a side note, I have always been curious why is the US never switched to the metric system, when most other countries did. Canada switched in the 70's but we still have some imperial units carried over unofficially because of American influence.(I like the jokes made by Americans who don't realise the temperature is measured in Celcius and think it is a lot colder here than it really is The French in Québec usually use only metric units though (except in cooking because of American published cook books), at least on TV.
To put it simply...
It’s not a problem
We lazy ‘round
Bubbly and stubborn
We lazy ‘round
Old 11-03-2006, 12:11 AM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFrenchie View Post
I don't know where (s)he got that from but believe me, it's the exact opposite.

Read my post in page 1, or the "Phénomène de mode en France ?" section of this page:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween
Quick translation:
"But the fact that certain French reject it does not imply a generalized "French rejection". It seems however that the Halloween phenomenon was momentary indeed. The Halloween "ambiance" worked quickly and culminated in the year 2000, to fall down as quickly as it had appeared. Today the media almost don't refer to it anymore."
Yup, I read about this on Monday (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe...ion=cnn_latest) and was curious how true it was until I heard it from someone actually there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt_bird_90 View Post
To put it simply...
It’s not a problem
We lazy ‘round
Bubbly and stubborn
We lazy ‘round
LOL. Pretty much sums it all up. I still have a hard time with remembering the conversions in Chem and Physics.

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...