Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 04-05-2021, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road
Default Reaction Videos and Vlogs

This woman, called Sincerely K.S.O., does a favorable review of Alizée's song, "J'ai pas vingt ans." She has some problems with the translation. She is from Mississauga, Ontario and has 74,000 YouTube subscribers.

I think an important point here is that Mylène Farmer did such a poor job of writing some of Alizée's early songs into English.
You can see that, for Sincerely, K.S.O., the beauty of Alizée's voice and the music isn't enough. She has to understand the story to get full enjoyment.
That is why "I'm fed up," "I'm not twenty" and "Youpidou" (English version) failed at getting Alizée into the US market.

This is very recent, and is looking for help with the translation...I wonder if anyone in this forum could respond to her?

Old 04-06-2021, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Edit:

Last edited by Bamagirl; 04-06-2021 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 04-06-2021, 10:53 AM

Alizée-Nederland is on a distinguished road

Old 04-06-2021, 08:50 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
This woman, called Sincerely K.S.O., does a favorable review of Alizée's song, "J'ai pas vingt ans." She has some problems with the translation. She is from Mississauga, Ontario and has 74,000 YouTube subscribers.

I think an important point here is that Mylène Farmer did such a poor job of writing some of Alizée's early songs into English.
You can see that, for Sincerely, K.S.O., the beauty of Alizée's voice and the music isn't enough. She has to understand the story to get full enjoyment.
That is why "I'm fed up," "I'm not twenty" and "Youpidou" (English version) failed at getting Alizée into the US market.

This is very recent, and is looking for help with the translation...I wonder if anyone in this forum could respond to her?

Quote:

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizée-Nederland View Post
Wow, this is some pretty cool stuff, mainly because it's recent. The guys vlog was from January of this year and the Canadian woman's was from last month. The first one posted by Bamagirl shows how important it was to have good lyrics for her English songs and she didn't.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Wow, this is some pretty cool stuff, mainly because it's recent. The guys vlog was from January of this year and the Canadian woman's was from last month. The first one posted by Bamagirl shows how important it was to have good lyrics for her English songs and she didn't.
I agree. And I think the fact that these vlogs are so recent is really great. It shows people are still talking about her and discovering her.

I think it’s just ridiculous that MF didn’t take the time to get good lyrics composed or at least accurate translations. I know of other French songs with beautiful English lyrics that aren’t anything like the French lyrics. But in the end, both French and English versions sound great.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

This is from August of 2020, and this guy is from the U.S. He has positive things to say, and what I like best is when he describes Alizée's performance as "...very sensual and very sexy without being vulgar..."
This is such an important point to me. It is exactly how I think of Alizée. Women in particular, I think, can appreciate when a woman is "sensual and sexy" but be disgusted with vulgarity. It is one of the things that differentiates Alizée from many of the very crude young women performers of today.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:32 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is from August of 2020, and this guy is from the U.S. He has positive things to say, and what I like best is when he describes Alizée's performance as "...very sensual and very sexy without being vulgar..."
This is such an important point to me. It is exactly how I think of Alizée. Women in particular, I think, can appreciate when a woman is "sensual and sexy" but be disgusted with vulgarity. It is one of the things that differentiates Alizée from many of the very crude young women performers of today.
I didn't realize these kind of videos were called Vlogs. I thought they were called reaction videos. I have watched quite a few of them for different songs and I find them quite entertaining. I had no idea that there were any for Alizee though, but it's nice to know.

So I think "...very sensual and very sexy without being vulgar..." is what drives her appeal across genders. Not every guy likes trashy and vulgar. In fact, I think there are more men repulsed by trashy than not. I would describe Alizee's JEAM performance exactly like this guy did with those words.

I think Alizee casts a positive image for women in general, but cannot say the same for nearly every female pop performer in the last twenty years or so. There is nothing wrong with women wishing to be sensual and sexy, but there is a definite line in the sand that Alizee would not cross. That is where respect comes in, and I believe her fans have a great deal of respect for her, not necessarily all for what she did, but also for what she refused to do.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:39 AM

Alizée-Nederland is on a distinguished road

Last edited by Alizée-Nederland; 04-12-2021 at 07:42 AM..
Old 04-12-2021, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
I didn't realize these kind of videos were called Vlogs. I thought they were called reaction videos.
I never heard the term "reaction video"--maybe that describes these better. I just looked it up, and it seems to apply mostly to the emotional reaction to a video rather than to a discussion. Vlogs, on the other hand, historically at least I believe, were mostly about the blogger's personal experiences. So...maybe these are a new thing that need a new term!

Last edited by Bamagirl; 04-12-2021 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 04-12-2021, 09:39 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Edit:

I never heard the term "reaction video"--maybe that describes these better. I just looked it up, and it seems to apply mostly to the emotional reaction to a video rather than to a discussion. Vlogs, on the other hand, historically at least I believe, were mostly about the blogger's personal experiences. So...maybe these are a new thing that need a new term!
Reaction videos are huge on YouTube, and been around for a long time. They can be for anything really, Music Videos, Memes, Trailers, Pranks, etc. Some are for the pure reaction, some are more discussion based, even videos where the YouTuber makes jokes or even skits about the content of the video can fall under the genre name. It doesn't really have many restrictions, though the ones as you described that have the pure emotional reaction are the most prominent.

The Fine Bros (now known as just 'React') are one of the most successful and oldest examples of a channel built around the genre, though they've also expanded beyond reacting to just YouTube videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0v...?view=0&sort=p

'Vlogs' in the current sense are as you described, not really related to reaction videos at all. I wouldn't say a new term is necessarily needed for the sort of videos in this thread, they're pretty standard for the reaction genre.