Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-12-2021, 02:53 PM

Elise is on a distinguished road
Default What's your controversial Alizée opinion?

I was thinking about this concept:

Do you like Alizée's tattoos? Do you prefer her post-Mylène work to before they split? For an unpopular Alizée opinion, we can have this thread. I would be very interested to read about your perspectives!
Old 07-12-2021, 09:54 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

AlizéeSuperFanFIN is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hard to say because I can’t basically criticize another’s choices, and I don’t even want to in this case!

On the other hand, of course, as a fan, I would have liked Alizée’s career (expressly her music career) to last longer, etc ö... So I could come up with different conflicting and controversial opinions about it if I wanted to...

Good topic, but also difficult (difficult to answer anything very accurate)!

Alizée 💜
Old 07-13-2021, 06:18 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

This is probably a subject I should stay off of because too much was said in the past but what the heck. I don't like them at all. I understand the reasons for her getting them, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.

I think one thing is, she was too young to realize as a celebrity, she was a representative to the world of the beauty of Corsican women. How important was that to Corsica?

Now that it's ancient history, she used to live in a apartment or condo where she had a great view of the Blood islands. I'm sure she treasured that view. What would she have done if she woke up one morning and saw these construction cranes putting up a pair of golden arches ala MacDonald's that was going to block her view of those islands? She would ran down there with a sledge hammer.

As important that view was to her, she should have realized the view she presented was just as beautiful and just as important to people who were lucky enough to see it.

Getting past the gecko or what ever it was that she got early on, there was the Tinkerbell one on her back. Now I believe her father had one of Peter Pan on his chest, so her getting one of Tinker is understandable, but why did it have to be so large.

The next two were the ones of Annily and then there was a 2 or 20 which is the postal code for Ajaccio. With her love for her daughter and Ajaccio, they too were understandable.

Then if history serves me right, she moved back to Ajaccio and then got a rash of tattoos on her arm. That was such a hard time, watching the incredibly beautiful young woman throwing her beauty away inch by inch. But I think there was a understandable reason for this. This was after her separation and I think she did it partly out of depression.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise View Post
I was thinking about this concept:

Do you like Alizée's tattoos? Do you prefer her post-Mylène work to before they split? For an unpopular Alizée opinion, we can have this thread. I would be very interested to read about your perspectives!
As far as post MF work, I'm not a big fan. On Psych, I think PLP was the only "very" good song. The outfits for her tour and her dancing couldn't hold a candle to what she did during the MF days and something I've said many times before the people of France saw clips of the concerts that took place in Russia and Mexico. They new what she was capable of and they wanted no part of this.

One other thing that may have been a big factor with the lack of success of Psych. Supposedly there was bad blood between Alizee and MF over the song Idealiser. It's been said the most of the Alizee fans in France were Mylene fans first and when they split with rumors of bad blood, well they went back to the woman they had followed for many years.

Unfortunately her Psych album might have set the tone I'd guess you call it for her other albums. French fans weren't happy with Psych, weren't happy with rumors about the split, so to win these fans over, though she did have some very good songs in her other albums, she couldn't come up with that one killer of a song that would get her past those obstacles.

One thing I sound like a broken record on was the album Blonde. I think it had 2 very good songs on it in K.O. and Alcaline. Alcaline was a simple story of which they could have made a very good video for her for little money. It was perfect for her, but they put all their eggs in the Blonde video basket and the rest is history.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 07-13-2021 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 07-14-2021, 02:10 AM

24Shepherd24 is on a distinguished road

Alizee's tats are like graffiti on the Mona Lisa. Scruffydog is right. They were done as a form of self-mutilation during a time of depression. Because they are so adolescent, they grow more unfortunate as she grows older. Despite the mutilation, Alizee will always be a beautiful woman as well as a beautiful person and a treasure to thousands of her fans. It's difficult to know if she is displeased with her tattoos or not. To celebrate her new found love of Greg, she got some more, and he got some to match. I suspect he did it as a demonstration of his love for her as was his agreement to live in Ajaccio (not a difficult decision), and his decision to risk his career by leaving Danse Avec les Stars when she became jealous of Nathalie Péchalat. I admire Gregorie as much as I envy him. In the depths of the Kovid pandemic, there was always this warm light on an island in the Mediterranean of two beautiful and exceptionally good people.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:06 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Before I give my opinion of her tattoos again, I want to preface it by saying that based on what I know about Alizee, which I believe is quite a bit, I think she is an exceptional person in every regard. Not only is she gorgeous, she has numerous personality traits that I consider very attractive. It's not very often that you see a person that is both calming and expressive, but she is one that has it.

The lizard tattoo was no big deal to me, but made me wonder what inspired her to get that on her at so young of an age? Did it mean anything to her or was it a random choice? Mylene obviously thought it would not represent a lolita image because her outfits always included boots to cover it up. Knowing what we know about her childhood and school days, Alizee was not one of the "cool kids." She said she was teased about her glasses. She has some tomboy tendencies and is a bit of a "geek". I like those traits of hers, but for a girl in school wanting to fit in and having boys like her and all the other school age priorities, she might have felt socially awkward. The lizard tattoo might have been an attempt to show she was a little edgy to improve her social status.

Tinkerbell on her back is wayyy too big. It came with a total new look for Alizee and a new album. Speaking as a guy about women in general, when a woman wears a dress that drapes down in the back and shows the top half of her back, I think it is sexy. It is all the better when the woman has beautiful skin, like Alizee. But with her, you have a huge, brightly colored cartoon character staring at you. I don't like it at all but my mind already erases it and I don't really even notice it much anymore.

The disaster which is on Alizee's right arm took a while for me to accept and get over. I know that a tattoo "sleeve" is popular with young people, but there usually is some artistic quality to it. But not her arm. Alizee looks like she suffered a terrible accident while working at a paint store. I agree with what Shepherd said. Alizee was self-medicating herself with tattoos to fight the depression caused by a failed marriage. Alizee is about as loyal of a person as you can find, so this failure was probably very hard for her to deal with.

So there is my beef about her tattoos. I really don't think about them anymore and the thought of turning my back on Alizee because of them never entered my mind. The most important thing is that she had moved on and right now is living the life she probably has dreamed about.

Comparing Alizee's music with Mylene and post Mylene is like apples and oranges. MF/LB are a cut above everybody else in France and the music they arranged for Alizee fit like a glove. In a way it made sense for Alizee to break free when she did, but not how she did it. If there was an agreement for one more album, Alizee should have honored that agreement. However, she was no longer single and Jeremy had early success musically, so it probably was a joint decision to try to make it on their own. I can't say it was a smart decision, but it was theirs to make.

Psych was pretty good but missed the mark. Alizee was in her early 20's and her "hotness" score was off the charts. There were a few very good songs, such as PLP, and then for some others I wondered why they were on the album. The album seemed to target an age group ten years beyond where she was when she should have targeted the late teens through 20's age group. UEDS did much of the same. By the time Alizee put out an album that tried to connect to her peers, Blonde, it was already too late.

Scruffy was right about K.O. and Alcaline, the two best songs on Blonde. If there was the budget to produce one video, it should have been Alcaline. Instead the gimmicky song Blonde was selected.

I still listen to Alizee quite a bit - all her albums. Even though it looks like her music career is over, at least she has six albums to her name.

Edit:

Forgot to mention that Alcaline would have been better without the auto-tune. If Alizee wanted to incorporate auto-tune into her music, it should have been in Psych, when auto-tune was still popular. By Blonde, the music industry already was moving on from it.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 07-14-2021 at 09:18 AM..
Old 07-14-2021, 09:52 AM

Elise is on a distinguished road

I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone likes Alizée’s tattoos, prefers her post-Mylène work or has any unpopular opinion about Alizée. So far no one has gone against the consensus (not saying this is a bad thing, just would be interesting if it happened).
Old 07-14-2021, 10:36 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone likes Alizée’s tattoos, prefers her post-Mylène work or has any unpopular opinion about Alizée. So far no one has gone against the consensus (not saying this is a bad thing, just would be interesting if it happened).
Can't say I overtly disagree with anything said here so far, more so just differ on the degree to which I agree with some things.

The tattoo's for example, I do prefer her look when she didn't have them, though it's not something I feel too strongly about either. Very rarely if ever do they ruin a picture of her for me. Though as a more recent fan I was not following her work in the time she had less/no tattoos, so it's not something I had to become accustom to as it happened.

As for her post MF work, it's more of a mixed bag. One example... I honestly would personally rank UEDS above Gourmandises. Whilst the best songs on Gourmandises I think are better than those on UEDS, UEDS I find a better overall listen than Gourmandises especially when listening through the whole album at one time. Gourmandises and also MCE have so many great individual songs, but they mostly all follow the same structure, and when you listen one after the other it feels very repetitive as if each song is trying to be that number 1 chart topping single following the same formula. I guess that's intentional and did work to an extent, the songs are good in isolation, but if we're ranking albums, UEDS is more enjoyable than Gourmandises (in my opinion).
But even then, I'd still probably have Gourmandises 3rd and MCE 1st, so it's not too far off the general consensus anyway.

Maybe in time as I learn more about her I'll develop some more unpopular opinions, if right now I had the same amount of knowledge on her career as Scruffy does (for example) that may be the case. But for now it's just slight disagreements which are mostly preference related.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:16 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

We just have to understand that we all have different tastes in music. Different people have expressed preferences for each of her albums. Sometimes that's hard for a person to understand, but it's just the way life is.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:06 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
One example... I honestly would personally rank UEDS above Gourmandises.
On a thread where we ranked Alizee's albums, I put UEDS at number 2 below MCE. It really holds it's own with very good songs like Grand Central, Limelight, Factory Girl and Mes Fantomes. I just thought the timing was not right for it. It is the kind of album she should put out now not when she was 25.

Edit:

Quote:
I have read much of the history on this forum and I know that members have posted that they like her tattoos and others said that they liked Psych the best.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 07-14-2021 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 07-15-2021, 07:19 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
got a rash of tattoos on her arm. That was such a hard time, watching the incredibly beautiful young woman throwing her beauty away inch by inch. But I think there was a understandable reason for this. This was after her separation and I think she did it partly out of depression.
Quote:
Scruffydog is right. They were done as a form of self-mutilation during a time of depression.
Quote:
I agree with what Shepherd said. Alizee was self-medicating herself with tattoos to fight the depression caused by a failed marriage.

I think you guys are jumping to a conclusion.

It is certainly possible that the tattoos were the result of depression.

However, it is possible that the tattoos were not the result of depression--- the tattoos on her arm could have been something that she had been wanting to do for some time, but weren't practical until after her separation. Maybe her ex-husband didn't want her to get more tattoos; or maybe he didn't mind, but there was so much going on in her marriage that tattoos were of low priority.

So maybe the tattoos were the result of depression, but maybe they weren't.
I can see it either way. As we all know, Alizee is hard to figure out. We don't have enough information to make a determination.