Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 12-21-2007, 03:23 AM

term1 is on a distinguished road
Default Sales numbers for the new cd???

Hey,
Does anyone know exactly how well the new cd is doing? Is it charting? Has it broken gold yet? Just want to know if she is being embraced again at least to some extent in France like she was before....
Old 12-21-2007, 04:04 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

In France, Psychédélices ranked 16th place it's first week and 33rd the next, which corresponds to roughly 12,000 and 8,000 units respectively, or about 20,000 total sales so far. Gold is 75,000, so no she hasn't broken it yet.

Many find these numbers a bit disappointing, though they're not terribly bad - certainy lower than he previous albums, but then CD sales are down across the board. Hopefully the album can continue on slow burn with future singles and reach the desired 70-100k.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Member

WindReaver is on a distinguished road

I would love to see her try something like what Radiohead did recently. Release the album on her website a week or month early, let the fans pay what they want for it and then release it as normal in stores. I would have bought it for $100 or $200 just to help keep her going for the next album knowing that the money goes directly to her. =)

You could even get creative with incentives to pay more for it:
If you pay more than x amount you automatically get the CD in the mail when it is released.
Pay more than x amount and get the Limited edition CD in the mail.
The highest paying person gets a backstage pass.
The highest 50 paying customers get an autographed cd in the mail.
etc.

This type of sales model has huge potential. The only problem with I see is with her RCA/SonyBMG contract. She might not be able to do something like that while under contract with them.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Mon Truck Driver

JCC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
In France, Psychédélices ranked 16th place it's first week and 33rd the next, which corresponds to roughly 12,000 and 8,000 units respectively, or about 20,000 total sales so far. Gold is 75,000, so no she hasn't broken it yet.

Many find these numbers a bit disappointing, though they're not terribly bad - certainy lower than he previous albums, but then CD sales are down across the board. Hopefully the album can continue on slow burn with future singles and reach the desired 70-100k.
Considering the media blitz she had the first 2wks of December for the album, appearance, signings, etc...it is pretty dissappointing. Then again, there are going to be more singles releases. It probably will hit 50-75k in sales, but over a long period...1yr or more. By todays standards, that's good.

After the initial elation of her return, the next few months will dictate her staying pwr in the music market in europe...mainly france. And its a very crowded market right now.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:10 PM

clique is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindReaver View Post
I would love to see her try something like what Radiohead did recently. Release the album on her website a week or month early, let the fans pay what they want for it and then release it as normal in stores. I would have bought it for $100 or $200 just to help keep her going for the next album knowing that the money goes directly to her. =)

You could even get creative with incentives to pay more for it:
If you pay more than x amount you automatically get the CD in the mail when it is released.
Pay more than x amount and get the Limited edition CD in the mail.
The highest paying person gets a backstage pass.
The highest 50 paying customers get an autographed cd in the mail.
etc.

This type of sales model has huge potential. The only problem with I see is with her RCA/SonyBMG contract. She might not be able to do something like that while under contract with them.
That idea sounds fucked up. The whole reason Radiohead released the cd by themselves was because they were sick of greedy record labels charging way too much for music. Your idea with special stuff for high payers goes against their whole idea.

And to be honest, I doubt Alizée would be able to pull off a move like that. There's a huge difference in fanbase between the two,
Old 12-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Allez L'OM!

aditya8617 is on a distinguished road

Everyone is just comparing her to her past which I think makes them not appreciate her new work that much. Once they open their minds they will start appreciating her new cd and even buy it.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Member

WindReaver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clique View Post
That idea sounds fucked up. The whole reason Radiohead released the cd by themselves was because they were sick of greedy record labels charging way too much for music. Your idea with special stuff for high payers goes against their whole idea.

And to be honest, I doubt Alizée would be able to pull off a move like that. There's a huge difference in fanbase between the two,
Not fucked up at all. Between people getting fed up with the industry and piracy or whatever the reason might be CD sales are down, it is a dying market as everything is moving to digital.

I want to see Alizee continue to release new albums and am willing to pay a couple hundred for her CD's if it will accomplish that.

Do not attribute altruistic motives to what Radiohead is doing. Radiohead said that they did it because of the labels, but notice that they also released the album in a conventional deal with XL Recordings. They will not release the numbers for their download experiment and I have heard (unconfirmed) that they are charging a few million dollars for them.

As for the incentives for people to pay more, *shrug* that is just me wanting Alizee to get more money so she can keep making music. Was it Snatcher42 who quoted as possible sales figures 20,000? That's 200,000 to 400,000 dollars worth of sales for a price of $10 to $20 per CD. Will that even pay for the making of the MJ video?

As I said, this idea is out of a desire to see her continue to make music. She is paying out of her own pocket and the more money we can put there the more music she can make.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Banned

INDUSTRIAL is on a distinguished road

Nicely said, WindReaver. I do not usually buy CDs because I think record market is overpriced and buying CDs is just a waste of money. But I am ready to spend all my money for Lili.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:52 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDUSTRIAL View Post
Nicely said, WindReaver. I do not usually buy CDs because I think record market is overpriced and buying CDs is just a waste of money. But I am ready to spend all my money for Lili.
What he said.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I sympathize with what Radiohead tried to do, but it’s my understanding that more than half the people who downloaded paid absolutely nothing. Sure, even at that rate they made some money, but why shouldn't they get paid at least something for each download. Is there no honor, respect or integrity anymore?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,308797,00.html

Many people in this day and age apparently think that another person's hard work is worth absolutely nothing. As long as that continues, people like Alizée may find themselves without a career, or choosing to do other things with their lives. We will all suffer in the end. Sure, there is a lot of crappy music out there and the system needs changing, but we need to support the artists we like so they can continue to bring us the good music we all enjoy.