Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 08-14-2007, 06:07 AM
On the Probulator

c-dawg777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsey View Post
I like the steelers....i dont know why...but i do..and ppl make fun of me for it...but what the heck....i like them
I used to like them too, untill they cheated at the superbowl a couple years ago and payed off the ref's when they played the SeaHawks so they could win. That was one of the single most retarded F'd up ridiculously called games in the history of football. There were only like five plays in the whole game where they didn't call some stupid foul on the Hawks and just let them play the game. I was waiting for them to go all Replacements on them and start dropkicking people on the field, but I was never satisfied. I'll hold a grudge against the stealers untill the Hawks get a nice clean rematch. If they beat them in a fair game... then fair is fair and its all good, but untill then they can kiss my ass. *disgruntled*
Old 08-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Le fan irlandais

Killian is on a distinguished road

I never really understood American Football... It's so stop start... There never seems to be any flow to the game, just constant set moves. They never seem to put imagination into to it or just go with gut instinct. Of course, I could be very wrong. It's just I'm used to rugby, where a lot of the time, you have to rely on split second decisions. But I suppose when your a quarter back, being tackled by a 4000 pound man, you have to rely on split second decisions too...

I wish Devin Hester played rugby though... Him as a winger would be amazing.

Is mo páis agus mo inspioráid í Alizée. Níl aon scamall sa spéir nuair a feicim nó cloisim í.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Francophile!:D

Tye is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
I never really understood American Football... It's so stop start... There never seems to be any flow to the game, just constant set moves. They never seem to put imagination into to it or just go with gut instinct. Of course, I could be very wrong. It's just I'm used to rugby, where a lot of the time, you have to rely on split second decisions. But I suppose when your a quarter back, being tackled by a 4000 pound man, you have to rely on split second decisions too...

Killian, you aren't wrong about it being stop start. To me it is a very monotenous game. Every two seconds everything has to be reset. There isn't much flow. This is why I don't watch a whole game. I just watch the highlights.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:10 PM

mibir is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Devin Hester
Old 08-14-2007, 05:31 PM

panzerkiller is on a distinguished road

Quote:

yeah,killian,you have to have a quarterback that can collect info and evaluate and them maybe switch a few guys and call a play that looks like it would work well
Old 08-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Le fan irlandais

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerkiller View Post
yeah,killian,you have to have a quarterback that can collect info and evaluate and them maybe switch a few guys and call a play that looks like it would work well
Yeah, but how well do they work when the move they called goes wrong and they have to improvise? That my was point, the game doesn't seem to be friendly to improvisation, thus I suppose the three attempts to get it right.

Is mo páis agus mo inspioráid í Alizée. Níl aon scamall sa spéir nuair a feicim nó cloisim í.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 PM
euuuhhhhh

Fish is on a distinguished road

Improvisation is more on the defense's shoulders. The defense's job pre-play is to decide what the offense is going to run, and to set up in a way that they will be able to stop it. If they're wrong, then the defensive players have to make adjustments or give up big plays.

There is also a flow to the game, just not in the same style as soccer/rugby. When a team is driving on offense, they set up this rhythm, and so even though they stop for a few seconds after each play, everything is one fluid motion.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Le fan irlandais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
There is also a flow to the game, just not in the same style as soccer/rugby. When a team is driving on offense, they set up this rhythm, and so even though they stop for a few seconds after each play, everything is one fluid motion.
But that few seconds makes all the difference. I just don't understand why when someone is tackled why they don't contest for the ball. That would make it more competitive. But that would also make it rugby Sorry, it's not that I am trying to bring the sport, I just don't understand why they stop start so much.

I wouldn't call what the defence do improvisation, it's more adapting to your situation.
Also, if the defensive guess the attack's move right, do the attack try to improvise?

Old 08-14-2007, 06:55 PM
euuuhhhhh

Fish is on a distinguished road

If the defense sets up and it looks like it will stop the play, the quarterback will call an audible before the play starts to change the direction. On a passing play, he also looks to his receivers to see which is open and who to pass it to.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:57 AM
On the Probulator

c-dawg777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But that few seconds makes all the difference. I just don't understand why when someone is tackled why they don't contest for the ball. That would make it more competitive. But that would also make it rugby
Yep... and I'll tell you one reason why we dont play rugby or cricket in the US...
We won. Ha! Sorry, couldn't resist.