Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > The AAm Project

Old 05-16-2008, 10:32 PM
gone with the geostrophic

heyamigo is on a distinguished road

is anybody really saying we want her not to come to US? my point and the point of some here is simply this; don't hold your breath and don't overestimate her fan base. just be reasonable.

i think the problem with some members here is that just because we don't share their enthusiasm and we'd rather not set ourselves up for a letdown that we're lesser fans than they are or that we're spreading pessimism. there have been ridiculous assumptions on both sides i suppose, but c'mon some people are trying to base her popularity here based on how many spanish speaking people are in US or the # of youtube views her video has.

if she comes here great. if she doesn't it's okay. we'll have plenty of chances to see her outside US if we really want to; look at snatcher and roman.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:02 AM

Max is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infatuated View Post
I, or probably anyone else except her husband and parents, have no knowledge of the workings of her mind, but she seems content to hang out and do her thing in France.
It's not a matter of her mind. It's not like one day she decided "I should go to Moscow". It's just SonyBMG Russia invited her. If the local company (like SonyBMG Russia) is willing to risk it, to pay all the expenses, then no problem. But it can be quite risky for the local company.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:04 AM
J'adore alizee

nightbug is on a distinguished road

I agree 100%, Alizee is the total package. We really don't know, how many potential fans are out there.

But, there is a market here, or else RCA wouldnt have listed the US as one of the countries she plans on touring. I think the concert/concerts WILL be scheduled. But the question is, if they don't sell enough tickets, they may be in danger of being canceled.

Maybe RCA plans on sending Alizee back to the studio to record english versions of a couple of the new songs.

I still think she can make it though, with singing in French. Maybe it's never been done before in the US, on a huge scale. But if anyone is going to do it....it's going to be Alizee!!!!!!!

I wouldnt bet the house and the bank account on it. But she is the total package. The voice, the image, the songs, and she all kinds of fans...from 14-54.

The record industry is hurting right now. Alot of people don't buy cd's anymore. Maybe RCA has some data that large numbers of people here are buying her songs online.

At this point, Alizee playing to thousands here is a pipe dream. But don't give up hope. Things can change overnight in the music business.

And if things stay the same, we might just have 2 or 3 small intimate club gigs with 200 or less. But look at the positive side, we'll probably get to meet Alizee after the show.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:42 AM

Max is on a distinguished road

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Kaas

Quote:
In 1990 Kaas began her first world tour, which lasted 16 months in total. She sang in front of about 750,000 fans in over 196 concerts in 12 countries. Among others Kaas sang daily for a week in Olympia and Zenith, one of the most famous concert halls in Paris. The concerts were sold out four months before they began. Kaas also gave other successful concerts in New York and Washington D.C. in the U.S.. At the end of the tour Mademoiselle chante... had sold 1 million copies in France alone and had achieved diamond status.

The Piano Bar Live tour began in September 2002 in France and lasted until April 2003. It included six sellout concerts in the US, including appearances in Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and Detroit, as well as at the Beacon Theater in Broadway, New York before 6,000 fans.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Schwazzy, baby !

The Cap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patricia_Kaas

Quote:
In 1990 Kaas began her first world tour, which lasted 16 months in total. She sang in front of about 750,000 fans in over 196 concerts in 12 countries. Among others Kaas sang daily for a week in Olympia and Zenith, one of the most famous concert halls in Paris. The concerts were sold out four months before they began. Kaas also gave other successful concerts in New York and Washington D.C. in the U.S.. At the end of the tour Mademoiselle chante... had sold 1 million copies in France alone and had achieved diamond status.

The Piano Bar Live tour began in September 2002 in France and lasted until April 2003. It included six sellout concerts in the US, including appearances in Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco and Detroit, as well as at the Beacon Theater in Broadway, New York before 6,000 fans.
I'm guessing this quote is supposed to support the idea that an artist with a somewhat similar history to Alizée can do a "successful" tour of the U.S., right ?

Only one answer I can give to that : Who is this Kaas person? Never heard of her and have no interest of hearing more about her. What ELSE is on ?

I still have to align with the voices of reason here : anyone getting their hopes up over the idea of a sizable Alizée appearance here in the U.S. isn't willing to acknowledge the cold reality of this. You're doing unsupportable, fantastical (or is that fanatical ?) blue-sky math in an attempt to bolster an untenable and unrealistic position.

The only legitimate comment to make on this whole situation is one that has been wisely made before : time will tell.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:38 AM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
I'm guessing this quote is supposed to support the idea that an artist with a somewhat similar history to Alizée can do a "successful" tour of the U.S., right ?

Only one answer I can give to that : Who is this Kaas person? Never heard of her and have no interest of hearing more about her. What ELSE is on ?

I still have to align with the voices of reason here : anyone getting their hopes up over the idea of a sizable Alizée appearance here in the U.S. isn't willing to acknowledge the cold reality of this. You're doing unsupportable, fantastical (or is that fanatical ?) blue-sky math in an attempt to bolster an untenable and unrealistic position.

The only legitimate comment to make on this whole situation is one that has been wisely made before : time will tell.
I think that's part of the point; some people in this discussion are hoping(?) that RCA will somehow decide that it is worthwhile to try to make Alizée a "household name" in the US (via radio play, ads, promotion, etc.). This is in my opinion both unlikely and probably futile. However, I think Max's point is that this example supports the idea that a French singer who is not a household name among most Americans can still successfully perform some tour dates in America.

Last edited by fsquared; 05-17-2008 at 04:15 PM..
Old 05-17-2008, 11:40 AM

tbailey is on a distinguished road
Cool

@ The Cap

ha

you share my use of the word "untenable" and yes it was me that said "time will tell"

as for Kaas, though, i can't share your point of view
yes i never heard of her before but then i clicked the link and supposedly she is quite successful - indeed one of the most successful female french artists of all time

and to state that those advocating that Alizee come to America is fanatical - since when is adovcating that an artist that you like come to perform in the U.S. is fanatical?

sorry i'll have to respectfully disagree with you there

Last edited by tbailey; 05-17-2008 at 11:53 AM..
Old 05-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

The Kaas example is a good one and I think Max has a valid point. We should not think in “all or nothing” terms. Alizée does not have to become a household word in the USA to call it a success. Even a small percentage of 300 million people is still a respectable number. There are many artists making very good money in the USA that don’t become household words. Just because an artist has not entered one’s sphere of awareness doesn’t mean their accomplishments are insignificant or not valid. This is what Alizée does for a living. This is what she does to pay the rent. It’s not about being a household word. You enter a new market to sell more, not necessarily to sell to everyone.

Team Alizée must analyze the situation and weigh the cost and risk against the benefits and make a business decision. They have to know to what degree they may want to penetrate the US market, if at all. They have to determine what their goals will be and what they have to achieve to consider their efforts a success. We don’t have the data so we can only speculate as to whether it makes sense or not.

Business is all about risk. You risk and you either make a gain or a loss, or you break even. Every time Alizée does anything there is a risk involved. Just think of the risk she took making this album and signing with RCA. She takes a risk every time she does an interview or walks out on that stage. She is accustomed to risk. The key is managing risk and minimizing it through knowledge. Playing it safe usually doesn’t get you anywhere.

Over on AF I read a translation of an interview in Croatia. Alizée mentioned she is doing intensive English study. I can’t help but to think that she is considering the English speaking markets as potential areas of expansion. As I’ve said before, it seems France and probably Europe as a whole no longer provides the level of sales Alizée needs to keep going at the level of her needs and expectations. Mexico has helped this time around, but what about next time? I think she needs to cultivate new ground each time she releases an album if she is to continue her career over the long haul. Eventually it may lead her to the USA. I want Alizée to have a long and successful career. If coming to the USA at some point will help, then I'm all for it.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

I don't think you can compare Alizée to Patricia Kaas.

Look at what it says there: 196 concerts, weeks sold out at the Olympia and Zenith, etc. Not that I don't think Lili could play a few shows here, it's just a bad example. Not at all in her bracket.

There are others I would have picked first, like Émilie Simon or Oliva Ruiz for example. Both of whom I've seen in Canada, incidentally. Which is such an obvious stepping stone, I still wonder why we haven't heard mention of it?

Last edited by Ben; 05-17-2008 at 02:10 PM..
Old 05-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatcher42 View Post
I don't think you can compare Alizée to Patricia Kaas.

Look what it says there: 196 concerts, weeks sold out at the Olympia and Zenith, etc. Not that I don't think Lili could play a few shows here, it's just a bad example. Not at all in her bracket.

There are others I would have picked first, like Émilie Simon or Oliva Ruiz for example. Both of whom I've seen in Canada, incidentally. Which is such an obvious stepping stone, I still wonder why we haven't heard mention of it?
I agree, if you are comparing careers. I was only looking at the idea of a French singer in general being able to have some success in North America without necessarily being a household name. Your examples are good ones.

I also wonder why Canada hasn’t been mentioned. I think your suggestion of Montreal for a performance was a good one. I keep wondering what research has been done and what information Alizée’s people have and how it is informing their decisions. Or are they just clueless?