Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 07-24-2019, 10:16 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road
Default Rank Alizee's Studio Albums

It would be interesting to see how we differ (or are similar) in ranking Alizee's studio albums from most favorite to least.

Here is my ranking...

#1 Mes courants électriques - Hands down. A real masterpiece.
#2 Une enfant du siècle - I grew to really like this album a lot.
#3 Psychédélices
#4 Gourmandises - Is it a sin to rank this album so low?
#5 5 - This is very close to a tie with Gourmandises.
#6 Blonde - A potentially great album with 3 or 4 very good songs, but the rest of the album loses me. The whole blond hair gimmick backfires.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:18 PM
Against The Current

Fall is on a distinguished road

1 - Psychédélices
2 - 5
3 - MCE
4 - Gourmandises
5 - UEDS
6 - Blonde

Psych > all

I love all the songs, but it has Alizée classics like the title track, PLP, Fifty Sixty, Lilly Town, MJ, Idéaliser, Mon Taxi Driver, L'Effet...

Old 07-24-2019, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall View Post

I love all the songs, but it has Alizée classics like the title track, PLP, Fifty Sixty, Lilly Town, MJ, Idéaliser, Mon Taxi Driver, L'Effet...

PLP is my favorite Alizee song of any album. It is a world class song.

I really like 5, and it's a bit like reading her diary. Boxing Club is my favorite. The acoustic guitar in some of the songs is a nice switch. But as far as leisure listening to Alizee's albums, I ranked it a bit lower than the others I listen to more.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:18 PM

baronstrucker is on a distinguished road

1. Mes Courants Électriques (A masterpiece. The orchestra like sound is what got me hooked.)
2. Gourmandises (Love every song as well, just not as listenable as MCE.)
3. En Concert
4. Psychedelices (The main tracks I really like are Madamoiselle Juliette, Fifty-Sixty, Mon Taxi Driver, Lilly Town.)
5. Blonde (K.O., Alcaline, and Seulement Pour te Plaire are the main tracks I listen to. Blonde is catchy but the lyrics are what makes me not listen to it often.)
6. UEDS (Only track I liked is Les Collines)
7. 5 (This album in general never really got my attention.)
Old 07-24-2019, 11:18 PM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Egads…

This is almost asking for the impossible…

But…

1 - 5
2 - Psychédélices
3 - MCE
4 - Gourmandises
5 - Blonde
6 - UEDS

My “go to” albums are “5”, very quickly followed by “Psychédélices”…

Got quite attached to “Blonde” for some reason…

Have even been caught singing “Blonde” to myself when I’m in a good mood and kind of preoccupied doing something else…

Try explaining that to any "Okie" bystanders that just happen to overhear…

Hmm. I maybe should NOT have owned up to that one…
Old 07-25-2019, 06:27 PM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

1~ Mes courants électriques: a Masterpiece, my favorite album. There is nothing like that.
2~ Psychédélices: Mystic. When I listen to this album, I close my eyes and Alizée brings me to another world (Par les paupieres is just stunning).
3~ Gourmandises: where the dream began.
4~ 5: really high quality. A cause de l'automne and boxing club are my favourite ones.
5~ Blonde: it's OK. There are some good songs.
6~ Ueds: it's not exactly my favorite genre, but you can feel it is something "from the heart". Probably I need to get used to its sound. I really like Eden and Limelight.

I think the first three albums have an exceptional quality, so there isn't much difference among them, even though, as I said, MCE is something unique.

Honorable mention: En concert. In general I love live performances and this album contains most of my favourite versions of those songs. So it is at least on the same level of MCE.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn97 View Post
4~ 5: really high quality. A cause de l'automne and boxing club are my favourite ones.
I wanted to rank 5 higher than what I did but I ordered them according to how much I listen to them. 5 is a very high quality album but I don't listen to it as much. Some songs are really quite sad. Alizee said that every song on the album reveals something about her, and I found that the songs she worked on with Boulard are the most straightforward. Maybe if I never read the translations I would listen to it more. I have been meaning to start a thread on the album to take a deep dive into the lyrics. I hope to do that soon.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:17 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

For me, by far the two best were MCE and Gournandises and MCE in my opinion was head and shoulders over Gour.

I thought there were 4 very good songs on Gourmandises. Moi Lolita,L'Alizee and Gourmandises were obviously top notch. Lou ou Toi was another very good song. Most albums have 'filler' songs. You have your top-notch songs that sell the album, then you have your filler songs to bring it up to the total of what an album should be, but they are usually songs you can take or just as easily leave.

I think some of these songs were better than filler songs such as VVV and Abracadabra and A quoi reve une jeune fille and JBG, but certainly not in the category where I want to listen to them on a regular basis.

MCE has more top-notch songs in my opinion. In fact, I think there was only one song that imho, didn't qualify as a top notch song and that is C'est trop tard, but then again, that's a song that I think is better than a filler song.

I think JEAM, ACC, Amelie, Hey Amigo, JPVA, Youpidou, Tempete, Coeur deja pris, Toc de mac, were all very good songs. I think Coeur deja pris was one of her most beautiful songs but it doesn't seem to get as much consideration because she never performed it on stage. L'e-mail a des ailes was a song that in itself wasn't that great, but I thought it was one that brought out the beauty of her voice. Tempete, Youpidou.....more good songs. Great.....great album imo.

After this, I'd definitely pick Blonde. I've stated too many times before that they wasted too much time on the song Blonde. They should have focused more on Alcaline and K.O. I think this album should have been a success but it was badly mismanaged.

After this, I'd say Psych, but in my opinion, it only had one song I would consider a very good song and that is Par Les Paupières. MJ was another song they spent too much time trying to promote.

Next......this is a toss-up because I never listen to any of these songs, but I would put UEDS ahead of 5. What is interesting about these 2 albums is they may have been songs of more substance than her other albums, but they are songs that don't grab you with their music and they don't grab you with her voice. So what was her main goal with these albums? Was it to tell a story or to sell albums? It seemed like she wanted to tell a story but lost sight of what people want to hear. They wanted to sell albums, but in their quest to tell a meaningful story didn't realize what they put out there, was not something the masses weren't interested in and so they failed.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 07-26-2019 at 10:32 AM..
Old 07-26-2019, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
I think Coeur deja pris was one of her most beautiful songs but it doesn't seem to get as much consideration because she never performed it on stage.
Coeur deja pris is one of the best songs on the album to me. It is so beautifully sung. What a fantastic composition.

Over the course of my life I have compiled my own personal list of albums that I consider masterpieces. Albums where the good songs just don't stop and you can listen to it over the years and not tire of it. I would put MCE strongly in my top ten. This is saying a lot for me, being that my two favorite artists of all time are Rush and Frank Zappa. I can appreciate when artists put out something really special, and MF/LB really nailed it, and Alizee performed it flawlessly. It is really a special album and goes on my timeless list.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:52 PM

Aragorn97 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
I wanted to rank 5 higher than what I did but I ordered them according to how much I listen to them. 5 is a very high quality album but I don't listen to it as much. Some songs are really quite sad. Alizee said that every song on the album reveals something about her, and I found that the songs she worked on with Boulard are the most straightforward. Maybe if I never read the translations I would listen to it more. I have been meaning to start a thread on the album to take a deep dive into the lyrics. I hope to do that soon.
I also don't listen to 5 much, but what you said is really interesting: I'll read the translations of those songs in these days. Can't wait to read your thread