Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 09:58 PM

MYGOGT is on a distinguished road
Default U da man

Way to Go Scruff! A huge thanks to you for your dedication and persistence in this. I'll be watching this closely to see the results.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

So I just read the first post again since I wasn't concious when I tried to read it last night, and then I noticed just how awesome Scruff really is....first the CDs...and now this?!!?! THANKYOU SCRUFFY FOR SPREADING HER IN AN AMAZING WAY! And forking the money to make this a reality. I definitely think your idea of using Les Collines would help. So do what you must and it will definitely benefit Lilly...thanks so much and can't wait to hear the commercials! Make sure you try and get that schedule!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Psychédélices Era Fan

Zeerre is on a distinguished road

I've only been here on AAm for a short period of time, but in my time here I've discovered that you, Scruff, are one of the most thoughtful fans that any artist could ask for, and from one Alizée fan to another, I salute you. With that being said, I have a couple of questions about this endeavor:

1. Would there be any sort of legal conflict in using copyrighted material (Alizée songs) to advertise a website (AAm)?
Don't get me wrong I think this is an awesome idea, but the music industry tends to be really aggressive when it comes to defending its intellectual property, and I would hate to see you get in legal hot water.

2. A less serious question, but important also, would the DJ saying: "to get more information about Alizée, go to AlizéeAmerica.com" spell her name as well?
Just thought that some interested people might have trouble finding the site if they don't know how to spell 'Alizée'

Less of question and more of my opinion, I think that using La Isla Bonita would be a bad idea. As some others already mentioned, the first thing people are going to think of when they hear LIB is inevitably gonna be Madonna, and as result some people, despite the fact that Alizée's name will be mentioned at the end, might think that the ad is about Madonna, especially considering that Alizée is not a household name. Also, I think that if people were to hear something that they've never heard before, such as any of Alizée's songs, the pure intrigue itself might motivate them to research whose angelical voice is that which they just heard. I, personally, would choose "I'm not twenty" as the song, but my opinion is biased since my favorite song is JPVA.

In the end, it's your money and it's your decision, and I will respect it no matter what.

Last edited by Zeerre; 06-08-2010 at 06:54 AM..
Old 06-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Merci Alizée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeerre View Post
I've only been here on AAm for a short period of time, but in my time here I've discovered that you, Scruff, are one of the most thoughtful fans that any artist could ask for, and from one Alizée fan to another, I salute you. With that being said, I have a couple of questions about this endeavor:

1. Would there be any sort of legal conflict in using copyrighted material (Alizée songs) to advertise a website (AAm)?
Don't get me wrong I think this is an awesome idea, but the music industry tends to be really aggressive when it comes to defending its intellectual property, and I would hate to see you get in legal hot water.

2. A less serious question, but important also, would the DJ saying: "to get more information about Alizée, go to AlizéeAmerica.com" spell her name as well?
Just thought that some interested people might have trouble finding the site if they don't know how to spell 'Alizée'

Less of question and more of my opinion, I think that using La Isla Bonita would be a bad idea. As some others already mentioned, the first thing people are going to think of when they hear LIB is inevitably gonna be Madonna, and as result some people, despite the fact that Alizée's name will be mentioned at the end, might think that the ad is about Madonna, especially considering that Alizée is not a household name. Also, I think that if people were to hear something that they've never heard before, such as any of Alizée's songs, the pure intrigue itself might motivate them to research who's angelical voice is that which they just heard. I, personally, would choose "I'm not twenty" as the song, but my opinion is biased since my favorite song is JPVA.

In the end, it's your money and it's your decision, and I will respect it no matter what.
1. This has been a topic of discussions for a long time that whether her copyrighted songs should be used for sites or not. The discussion was not in the context of this idea, but a general discussion. If I'm not wrong then there is a thread for this too.

The fact that we have hardly deal with these issues. Most of the time we use stuffs without proper permission. At most what we can do is to request people to buy albums and few things like that. In most of the cases, online non-profit communities work in this way only.

They are not going to sue us for using the songs.
Second if you are worried about ethics, then I don't think it is wrong. Scruffy or AAm won't get a penny in the return. He might even loose his money. Biggest thing that he will get is satisfaction and feeling that at least we tried.

I was wondering if you had ever checked the video section of AAm.

If you read some of the old interviews, then you would notice that Alizée herself feel that online stuffs help an artist.

I'm not deviating from my own opinions. We can only try not use anything without permission. But almost in all cases, it doesn't happen. It is practically not possible for us.

This is not an important issue at this moment.

2. About the spelling of the alizeeamerica.com. We discussed this yesterday. DJ can't spell out names due to time constraints.
If anyone types wrong name, then they won't directed to a wrong page. There is no site with similar name.
I guess people don't use addresses directly.
GOOGLE takes care of everything. I'm sure, if anyone is interested then that person would certainly google it out.
So don't worry.

Last edited by Merci Alizée; 06-08-2010 at 07:21 AM..
Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Psychédélices Era Fan

Zeerre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
They are not going to sue us for using the songs.
That's what I was worried about, glad to hear that it won't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
I guess people don't use addresses directly.
GOOGLE takes care of everything. I'm sure, if anyone is interested then that person would certainly google it out.
So don't worry.
Thanks, I feel reassured now.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 AM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

In the voice of Darth Vader: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Scruffy, in general I think it's a good idea, but I have a problem with the way you outlined it specifically in the choice of music. First, because she's moved away from the music of the MF era and her current music is very different. Secondly because most of the English language songs from MCE suck. I mean, the lyrics are just terrible. Mylène is fluent in English but it's not her first language and she's not a poet in it.

I'm trying to think of a way to make a radio ad like that work. I understand what you're saying about the French songs, but I'm thinking that playing something from UEDS would be a good idea anyway; she'll find her own audience.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 06-08-2010, 10:34 AM

PW74 is on a distinguished road

Scruffy. Please post the station and approx when commercials with play. Would like to listen for them. I'm in Malden. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
Scruffy, in general I think it's a good idea, but I have a problem with the way you outlined it specifically in the choice of music. First, because she's moved away from the music of the MF era and her current music is very different. Secondly because most of the English language songs from MCE suck. I mean, the lyrics are just terrible. Mylène is fluent in English but it's not her first language and she's not a poet in it.

I'm trying to think of a way to make a radio ad like that work. I understand what you're saying about the French songs, but I'm thinking that playing something from UEDS would be a good idea anyway; she'll find her own audience.
I agree that the lyrics of these songs are lousy, but that's the beauty of the 30 second commercial. You can pick out a section that does make sense (even that's a tall order). It's just enough to show case her beautiful voice and the beautiful music of Laurent Boutanant. It's enough to get their attention, hopefully wheret they'll go to this web site and investigate further.

In my years of showing her music to other people, I found a lot of people who have loved her French music but they are put off because they don't understand a word of what she is saying. I definitely think in most cases her songs in French are more beautiful than the English ones, but because of the reason I just stated, I cant use them for the most part.

Your views on using UEDS are I'm sure similar to many others here. The only song I would consider using on that album is Les Collines and I cant use that for reasons I mentioned earlier. I'm not that impressed with Limelight or any of the other songs on this album, so there's no way I'd want to use any of them.

That's why I've done this on my own. I know there are big differences on what each of us feel about her different songs and albums. We as a forum could not come up with an agreeable way for thanking her for what she did for us this past march, how could we reach an agreement over something like this which has so many choices to make, i.e., what songs, what city, what station, what part of each song and I would not want to donate any where's near the amount of money I'm putting up for an idea like this, if there were going to be songs used that I didn't like and who I thought might do more damage than good.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:11 PM
>9K

AlizéeInspired is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Scruffy, in general I think it's a good idea, but I have a problem with the way you outlined it specifically in the choice of music. First, because she's moved away from the music of the MF era and her current music is very different.
Yes, her current music is very different but it is ALL her music so in the end it shouldn't matter too much. Different music snags different fans. I think what Scruffy might be doing is to use these songs that are from the era that snagged the most fans. A lot of us here first heard of Alizée with these (types of) songs. Plus the english versions would probably be best to introduce her over the radio. Some people don't like things they can't understand and some people may get confused with a foreign song with lyrics they can't understand at all popping up out of no where in the middle of their time listening to the radio.

Quote:
Secondly because most of the English language songs from MCE suck. I mean, the lyrics are just terrible. Mylène is fluent in English but it's not her first language and she's not a poet in it.
Like I said above, though the english versions of her songs may not be preffered by some, I think it would be best to not confuse the fans Scruff is trying to "snag" with lyrics they are most likely not going to understand. And if you think the lyrics sucking are an issue... yes, compared to the french lyrics but thats just because the two languages are different. I mean, have you listened to any newer, popular music thats out there today that most people listen too? Not all of it has the greatest lyrics. I don't know how much the "bad" lyrics will really sway their opinion especially when all they really hear is her beautiful voice.

Quote:
If Scruffy decides to not use songs from UEDS, I think those who gain interest will find UEDS eventually. Though I don't think it is an entirely bad idea to include some UEDS or even Psych because as I said before, different music snags different fans. As for the rivalry being Scruff's reason to uninclude Les Collines, I say screw the rivalry . Throw in as many different songs as you can. They'll find out about Les Collines eventually if they get interested. Just use a clip without the "New York" part

Anyway, I think whatever Scruffy decides to do is just fine. It is his money and his project really. I say just read through opinions on here and take what you want. In the end, Scruff is the one with the most to lose. I thank him for doing this and everything he has done for Alizée and her fans (us). Getting Alizée out there to the people is getting Alizée out to the people. So I would like you to know that you have my support in whatever you decide to do with this, Scruffy. So, as Manni would say, Scruffy! You the man!