Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 07-04-2006, 01:21 AM

Kamakzie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

This site is great for us non French speaking American twits.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:11 AM
cybersoil

Thumbs up

Correct! "Mon Poisson Rouge" translates as "My Goldfish" but an exact translation is, "My Fish Red" or as we say it, "My Red Fish." Did you notice the Red Fish on the back of Alizee's Lolita costume in "J'en ai marre?"

Like most European languages they (the French) put the adjective after the noun, but we English speakers put the adjective before the noun. We say, "Fast Car" they say, "Car Fast." No, they're not messed up, most other European languages speak in the same order as the French do, we're the ones that are backward.

- Cybersoil

Last edited by cybersoil; 07-04-2006 at 04:13 AM..
Old 07-04-2006, 10:55 AM
=]

mando is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersoil
Did you notice the Red Fish on the back of Alizee's Lolita costume in "J'en ai marre?"

- Cybersoil
haha i noticed it but i hadn't made the connection. i'm slow -_-"
Old 07-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Cracka!

Shep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersoil
Correct! "Mon Poisson Rouge" translates as "My Goldfish" but an exact translation is, "My Fish Red" or as we say it, "My Red Fish." Did you notice the Red Fish on the back of Alizee's Lolita costume in "J'en ai marre?"

Like most European languages they (the French) put the adjective after the noun, but we English speakers put the adjective before the noun. We say, "Fast Car" they say, "Car Fast." No, they're not messed up, most other European languages speak in the same order as the French do, we're the ones that are backward.

- Cybersoil

I would say that neither of us are backwards. That's just the natural evolution of the Latin language as it spread and mixed with Old French and Old English.
"One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late." - Jack Handey
Old 03-28-2010, 02:03 AM
n

Karlalizee is on a distinguished road

i love coming here. it is one of my 'must sites' to visit at least once a day.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:47 AM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

Well, that whole adjective/noun order thing is a sgin of how English is a germanic language, while French is a romance language. Latin mixed with the local celtic to become French. But think about this: how many times have you seen a native French speaker speak English, and have no problem with putting adj. first? But for me, and I'm sure other late in life French learners, I have trouble keeping the noun first in French.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Mňau ^_^

Fèvier is on a distinguished road

we got this!