Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée News

Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

The day after.. thought I would read and reread the Open Sound statement, then do some research on Mexico's work permits.

The work permits are issued by the INM (National Institute of Immigration), and Alizee's work permit would be considered "Lucrative Activities", which lasts 180 days. From the Mexico Immigration & Work Permits web site, they require 30-45 days to issue the work permit, and they specify that no further travel arrangements be made (i.e. flights, hotels) until the work permits are approved.

This portion of the immigration law was changed in 2012 and made much more stringent. So, there are many differences on how Alizee can enter the country and perform today versus ten years ago when she was there.

In the statement, Open Sound was asked to work with the Puebla promoter, even though Open Sound does things very differently than the other promoter (their words). The statement said that the Puebla promoter was in charge of the flights and the work permits. After the postponement of the Puebla event, Open Sound had to "modify the logistics" and "solve the work permits" (again, their words).

Remember the work permit lasts 180 days. If the Puebla promoter had work permits issued correctly, Alizee would have been good for the Mexico City show as well. It looked like the Puebla promoter dropped the ball and the work permits were not issued in time, and Open Sound was not in regular communication with them to assist getting those permits if things got tied up. Alizee in response pushed back the Puebla date by a month. If this tour hinged on the work permits, and Open Sound had no idea of their status until the last hour when it fell through for Puebla, in my opinion it shows the lack of competence from both promoters.

Open Sound claims to have solved the work permit problem within a week (with the help of Alizee's old record label, which really confuses me). How did they shortcut the process? Was there a concern by Alizee that something was done under the table?

What isn't mentioned is the fine details, such as if Alizee was traveling alone, or if she was bringing backup dancers, a band, Gregoire, etc. All of them would also have to have been issued visas. Open Sound might have solved Alizee's visa problem, but what about everybody else that was coming with her? Alizee is pretty well versed on what bad management looks like now based on what has happened to her career in the past.

Alizee needs to speak out and defend herself here. I know she is too quiet when it comes to communicating with her fans, and maybe that is why she has always been so easy to crucify by the media and others. Even Open Sound mentions the Alizee "team" and goes on to imply she made this cancellation decision solo (because she was mad), but I don't think she would make such a rash decision on her own and without some sort of counsel.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 10-12-2018 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Fix typos
Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

I agree, CleverCowboy. I don’t pretend to understand all the variables that go into an event like this—much less the travel/visa/legal aspects. But something doesn’t sound right—and I think it’s very unlikely that Alizée is in actuality personally responsible for this. I know as the artist her name is what the blame is attached to. But I doubt very much if this mess was her fault. As you said, someone dropped the bell. I’m sure quite a few people were involved—international bureaucracy in action. I just hope Alizée’s fans will be understanding. And that someone in her organization speaks up for her and deflects the blame from her.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
I’m sure quite a few people were involved—international bureaucracy in action.
Ding Ding Ding! You are the winner! Exactly right.

There are a lot of hurt feelings and people that had made special travel arrangements and lost money. I really understand that. But there is the person Alizee, and there is the business Alizee. We know Alizee the person hated to make the decision to cancel, as you suggested. That is why I am trying to understand what on the business side could have caused this.

Alizee initially had two nights planned in Puebla, and hired the inital promoter. Later, Mexico City was added. I just assumed it was under the same management, but now we know it wasn't. Enter Open Sound. They probably wanted to capitalize on the fact that Alizee was already going to be in Mexico, so they would organize something for her in Mexico City.

In their statement, they write "The work team of alizée requested that it be worked together with the promoter of the event of puebla, which would seem suitable to be in the same country, however it does not stop to be ignored that open sound S.A. of C.V. works very differently to them , despite this we agreed"

It attempts to deflect blame on Alizee that she used two promoters who work differently, but she was already under contract with the first promoter. Alizee probably said "Sure, I'll do Mexico City, but work with the promoter I have already hired". This makes total sense to me.

It was a domino effect of fails. The first promoter failed, O.S. had no idea that this was going on despite being asked to coordinate their efforts. Now O.S. had to buy the plane tickets, whereas before the original promoter was to purchase them. We don't know if they asked Alizee to reduce her fees to offset these added expenses or not. I'm sure it got ugly quickly, and now the more I am thinking this out, the more I understand the decision of Alizee.

Edit:

Here is my concern right now. How does Alizee respond? Does she even have a Public Relations agent? If she reveals more details of the incompetence, O.S. will come back at her, possibly even harder. If she says nothing, it might be thought that O.S. is right. If she wasn't mad before, she sure is now (I know I would be). She needs to put in a few days at the beach over the weekend and relax and say nothing and let things cool off. Hopefully next week she will have the right words to say.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 10-12-2018 at 09:26 AM..
Old 10-12-2018, 09:17 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Given the security concerns in Mexico, I would think Alizée would want at least 2 'French' body guards with her, plus a Spanish speaking person from France to do the communicating and someone else from France to help set up what ever was needed for the show. I can see where expenses would quickly pile up and without a guarantee that her expenses would be paid, I could see a need to pull out.

This is a lot different than a trip to Warsaw.

I have a feeling this was probably the idea of some promoters in Mexico who didn't have the financial means to make it happen.

I often don't give her the benefit of the doubt, but I will here and I will believe this is not her fault. Hopefully there will be some explanation forthcoming.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Given the security concerns in Mexico, I would think Alizée would want at least 2 'French' body guards with her, plus a Spanish speaking person from France to do the communicating and someone else from France to help set up what ever was needed for the show. I can see where expenses would quickly pile up and without a guarantee that her expenses would be paid, I could see a need to pull out.
This is a good point. Alizee had invested in her team and is relying on her paycheck to pay her help. There was plenty of work put in prior to the show by her team that needs to be compensated. When you're the boss, you need to pay your help before you pay yourself, even if nothing is left over.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Bamagirl is on a distinguished road

This might sound paranoid or maybe overdoing it, but I think Alizée needs not only a very proactive PR person, as you mention, CleverCowboy, but it might be time for her to consult an attorney who is knowledgeable in this area. This sounds very tangled indeed, and when things get this tricky it’s often wise to get expert, professional guidance.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
This might sound paranoid or maybe overdoing it, but I think Alizée needs not only a very proactive PR person, as you mention, CleverCowboy, but it might be time for her to consult an attorney who is knowledgeable in this area. This sounds very tangled indeed, and when things get this tricky it’s often wise to get expert, professional guidance.
Not paranoid at all. I would be shocked if they hadn't consulted their lawyer already, and I am pretty sure her and Greg have one. These international incidents get tricky, of course. It would not be worth it for O.S. to attempt to sue Alizee, and they will probably lose. She exercised her contractual option. If O.S. was uncomfortable with that part of the contract, why did they sign it? A more common international lawsuit is for slander and libel, and O.S. came very close to, or stepped over that line. However, Alizee would have to file the lawsuit in Mexico. But why bother? She is just a small time act now, and yes, she got some mud flung at her, but she flung a little mud herself (calling them amateurs). In my opinion, any reputable lawyer would tell her to leave this alone now.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:54 AM

Edsel Di Meo is on a distinguished road

Old 10-13-2018, 09:02 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting that Edsel. I'm guessing we'll never know what the dispute was....
Old 10-13-2018, 09:34 AM
Administrator

I'm very happy some kind of agreement was reached so the ticket holders would get refunded. The tone of Open Sound's statement is completely different today. My guess is that Alizee returned most, if not all, of her fee that was already paid to her so that these tickets could be refunded. She might have retained some so that she could compensate people that might have put in some work by her team.

This will go a long way in smoothing things over in Mexico. She might have lost some fans, but for a long time fan, it would be hard to turn their back on her permanently for what appears to be technicalities. She will be fine.

I guess if there is any lesson learned, it would be for her to get her work permits first before any announcement of a concert. The permits last 180 days, that is a six month window to work within and put in one or more concerts in Mexico.

Edit:

I know this might sound completely ludicrous, but what is the chance that part of the agreement stipulates that Alizee use Open Sound exclusively for all her future engagements in Mexico, wherever it may be?

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 10-13-2018 at 10:42 AM..