Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Translations

Old 11-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Κάτσε Καλά!

garçoncanadien is on a distinguished road

Quote:
EDIT2: WOW, read the whole page of the French wiki link above: there is a note about Alizée's "Moi.. Lolita"!
mdrrrrrrr Cooney les chimistes connaissent Alizée
Old 11-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Banned

RMJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFrenchie View Post
EDIT2: WOW, read the whole page of the French wiki link above: there is a note about Alizée's "Moi.. Lolita"!
And what a coincident that it was added there two days ago...
Old 11-20-2006, 04:21 AM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJ View Post
Was it added just two days ago? Is there a way to tell?

As I said, I hadn't actually read the French wiki until after aFrenchie posted it, only the English wiki's. I didn't have anything to do with it, as far as I'm aware, if that's what you're saying :-) I could only dare to dream that I have such influence.

Obviously, garçoncanadien, the chemists have good taste!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:35 AM

aFrenchie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maareek View Post
"Stop/telling me" and "Stop/to tell me" would be completely different statements in English. "Stop telling me" would indicate that you know the information already or don't care and don't want to hear it.

"Stop/to tell me" would indicate that you want the person to stop what they're doing and tell you something. So, they're pretty much complete opposites in English.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
To say "Stop telling me" means that somebody is already saying something to you, and you don't want them to keep saying it.

To say "Stop to tell me" means that somebody has not yet told you something, and you want them to stop what they are doing and start telling it to you.
Ok. So she's saying "Stop telling me...".
In French: "stop to tell me" would have been "arrête et dis-moi"

Quote:
Oops! I thought "lui" was usable for both "him" and "her," is there a way to tell? My guess would be that it's referencing "le vent," which is masculine, and therefore I should have used "him?"
It can be "him" or "her" when it's before the verb, like "je lui donne". Here you don't know. If you accentuate, like we've seen before, you could tell either "je lui donne à lui" or "je lui donne à elle".
In the song she says "je suis comme lui" (him), if it was "her", she would have said "je suis comme elle"
I know it's confusing, welcome to French lessons

Quote:
Hehe, well, Alizée being female, I'll maintain the possibility of a double meaning. Thank you for the background though, I hope not to make a fool of myself in France when I visit some day :-)
You still could say "ma louve", why not . Original but you can invent anything you want when you're alone with your gf

Quote:
Didn't see that. It's funny indeed
Or do you mean that I added it myself?? I didn't have a clue three days ago (17th) about this and was still searching yesterday (see my "that are blue like methylene(??)" in my previous post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooney View Post
Was it added just two days ago? Is there a way to tell?
Yes, see the "historique" tab and do comparisons between versions. Do you know you can change yourself anything you want in the wiki pages? Use the "Edit this page"/"Modifier" button

By the way, the note says:
"The expression "Bleu de méthylène" is usually used only to name the chimical compound, not the color. The exception is the song Moi... Lolita by Alizée where the singer defines herself as a "Collégienne aux bas/Bleus de méthylène"."
Old 11-20-2006, 04:45 AM
Banned

Yea, you can see it form wiki's history. You can watch the old versions of each page and see what was changed.

And indeed, the page was updated 17th of November, 2006. And the addition was the Lili part at the end. It was updated by someone from Île-de-France (I tracked down the IP)... Maybe Lili was updating her info.

Heh, or maybe not. But anyways, same guy (or gal) did several other changes to wiki's pages, mostly related to math and chemistry (hmmm.... Lili is good at sciences ! )

Here is compare with current version and the version before Nov 17th. The additions shows on right with blue background (on top of the page).
http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...&oldid=9967950

Here is other pages he/she changed:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...t=86.205.91.80

I couldn't fully understand his/her logic to change all those pages. Tho, I didn't read them all through, so I might have missed some obvious connection. Tho, like said, they relates to math and chemistry...

edit:
And nah.. I didn't really think it was Cooney since I knew the change was made from Paris (or near by). And I knew you, aFrenchie, didn't do it either.

Oh, and Cooney, like aFrenchie said, you can modify,too, modify wikipedia. That's how the whole thing works. The one who has new informations adds it there.

Last edited by RMJ; 11-20-2006 at 04:48 AM..
Old 11-20-2006, 05:00 AM

Quote:
It was updated by someone from Île-de-France (I tracked down the IP)... Maybe Lili was updating her info.
For those who might think that "Île-de-France" ("Island-of-France") could mean Corsica among others, it's actually the Parisian region
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%8El...r%C3%A9gion%29

Quote:
But anyways, same guy (or gal) did several other changes to wiki's pages, mostly related to math and chemistry (hmmm.... Lili is good at sciences ! )
She would have to be good at sciences indeed!

Quote:
And I knew you, aFrenchie, didn't do it either.
You knew I suck at science?
Old 11-20-2006, 05:09 AM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok. So she's saying "Stop telling me...".
In French: "stop to tell me" would have been "arrête et dis-moi"
Very good! Glad to see that the thing that made the most sense is, in fact, what it means.

Quote:
It can be "him" or "her" when it's before the verb, like "je lui donne". Here you don't know. If you accentuate, like we've seen before, you could tell either "je lui donne à lui" or "je lui donne à elle".
In the song she says "je suis comme lui" (him), if it was "her", she would have said "je suis comme elle"
I know it's confusing, welcome to French lessons
That's fair enough - it's not as confusing as some word rules I've seen! Garçoncanadien also was kind enough to PM me with some help on this one. Hopefully I won't screw it up in the future!

Quote:
You still could say "ma louve", why not . Original but you can invent anything you want when you're alone with your gf
Haha, this is true ::grins::

Quote:
Didn't see that. It's funny indeed
Or do you mean that I added it myself?? I didn't have a clue three days ago (17th) about this and was still searching yesterday (see my "that are blue like methylene(??)" in my previous post
Interestingly, my dictionary does actually include "bleu de méthylène" as its own entry. I was familiar with it as a bio-chemical product already, but was searching for a way to use it in song. I don't know how I missed "bas" meaning "stockings." It's the first definition provided, and I just looked right over it.

Quote:
Yes, see the "historique" tab and do comparisons between versions. Do you know you can change yourself anything you want in the wiki pages? Use the "Edit this page"/"Modifier" button

By the way, the note says:
"The expression "Bleu de méthylène" is usually used only to name the chimical compound, not the color. The exception is the song Moi... Lolita by Alizée where the singer defines herself as a "Collégienne aux bas/Bleus de méthylène"."

Quote:
Yea, you can see it form wiki's history. You can watch the old versions of each page and see what was changed.

And indeed, the page was updated 17th of November, 2006. And the addition was the Lili part at the end. It was updated by someone from Île-de-France (I tracked down the IP)... Maybe Lili was updating her info.

Heh, or maybe not. But anyways, same guy (or gal) did several other changes to wiki's pages, mostly related to math and chemistry (hmmm.... Lili is good at sciences ! )

Here is compare with current version and the version before Nov 17th. The additions shows on right with blue background (on top of the page).
http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...&oldid=9967950

Here is other pages he/she changed:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...t=86.205.91.80

I couldn't fully understand his/her logic to change all those pages. Tho, I didn't read them all through, so I might have missed some obvious connection. Tho, like said, they relates to math and chemistry...
I knew Wiki was changeable by people, but I just hadn't realized there was a way to pull up old versions and see the edit date. I guess I hadn't paid that much attention.

Quote:
edit:
And nah.. I didn't really think it was Cooney since I knew the change was made from Paris (or near by). And I knew you, aFrenchie, didn't do it either.

Oh, and Cooney, like aFrenchie said, you can modify,too, modify wikipedia. That's how the whole thing works. The one who has new informations adds it there.
Glad to see I am clear of suspicion :-P I'm equally glad to see Alizée related adjustments stemming out of France so recently. We fans are still alive!

Overall, it looks like I made fewer mix-ups this time around than with my last set of three. That's enough to make me happy! With the exception of the stockings issue in ML, I think I was actually close enough on things this time for it to mostly make sense in the appropriate fashion :-) I'm trying to decide what the next three will be. Youpidou will be one of them, I know that. I'm trying to pick the other two out of Veni Vidi Vici, A Quoi Rêve Une Jeune Fille, Tempête, and L'e-mail a des ailes. Heck, it may end up somewhere else entirely - I'm hoping to have all 21 main songs, plus a couple others, done by mid-December (though I promise not to spam the boards with them all!)
Old 11-20-2006, 05:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
You knew I suck at science?
Yup.

But hey, you know geography well ! You knew where the Île-de-France is. Altho, I gave hint in that edit in my post. But still, not bad for native.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:21 AM

Quote:
But hey, you know geography well ! You knew where the Île-de-France is.
I would be a complete idiot if I didn't know that!
Old 11-20-2006, 05:26 AM
Banned

True that, hence the wink and tongue.