Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Smile What Yelle says about French music and America

Yelle speaks to the issue of the French language barrier in reaching the US audience in a couple intervoews excerpted below.

bloginity.com interview
<blockquote><i>Daniel: Music is a universal language and you’ve been traveling the world with your album, What do you think about your fans that are able to connect to your music even though they don’t understand the language?

Yelle: “I was thinking it’ll be a problem at the beginning but today i can see it’s not. I think maybe french is exotic for english people and even if they don’t understand the lyrics they can understand the spirit.”

Daniel: It’s very hard to break through in the united states singing in a foreign language. And you had success here so far, what do you attribute this success to?

Yelle: “I think people like the french and french language and culture and french lyrics mix with catchy and dancy music it’s cool!”

Daniel: Are there plans for you to record any of your songs in English?

Yelle: ”First, my english is kind of cheap (!), and well, i love singing in french, and i guess people like it too. I love the idea to release the next album in 10 languages! like crooners, it could be fun!”</i></blockquote>austinist.com interview<blockquote><i>[Q.] Because a lot of people in the U.S. don’t get too much access to French dance-oriented musicians, do you feel like you’re representing your country?

[A.] I think I represent the country by the lyrics because we are singing in French, and I think it’s really cool to be a French band in U.S. For example, five years ago I was not thinking about doing shows in U.S. because I was not singing in English, and I’m really happy about that because lots of my friends who are doing music in a French band are singing in English and thinking about, “yes, maybe one day we’ll play in America!” and stuff, and I see now finally it’s not the rule, you can sing in French and go around the world and meet people, and I think it’s just about energy and how people can feel what you sing, you know? People sometimes don’t understand what I’m talking about, but you can use your body to express what you are talking about.</i></blockquote>

Last edited by FanDeAliFee; 11-17-2010 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: add 2nd interview excerpt

Tags
america, french, hits, lyrics, songs