Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I think arming yourself in order to try to stop such an event is likely to end bad. Having amateurs in a panic situation firing guns in a closed space full of people running every which way does not sound safer to me. I also think a person needs to keep things in perspective and remember that the chance that you will be present at such an event is still quite low. I'm not arguing for or against gun control here, I'm simply talking about reality in a specific scenario.

ABC did an interesting test on situations like this and I think it's worth watching. I have seen and read up on similar tests being done, which almost always ended up with the same results. http://youtu.be/6O-1HF7v3Vw
Old 07-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
ABC did an interesting test on situations like this and I think it's worth watching. I have seen and read up on similar tests being done, which almost always ended up with the same results. http://youtu.be/6O-1HF7v3Vw
<table><tr><td>ABC may be biased about weapon control—Martin Fry never forgave Cupid for shooting him with that poison arrow.&nbsp;</td><td></td></tr></table>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TpOSMOgpQWU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://youtu.be/TpOSMOgpQWU
Old 07-21-2012, 11:37 AM
For me... formidable

SpanishFan is on a distinguished road

If someone wants to cause all that pain, he will, no matter if its in a college, a concert, or a cinema. But I wonder how he could enter all the way without being noticed and stopped, specially carrying all that equipment. Something went wrong there I suppose.
And did I read about babies? I don't get why there were babies in a cinema at midnight.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Take me to Lilly Town

Taxi Driver Aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishFan View Post
If someone wants to cause all that pain, he will, no matter if its in a college, a concert, or a cinema. But I wonder how he could enter all the way without being noticed and stopped, specially carrying all that equipment. Something went wrong there I suppose.
And did I read about babies? I don't get why there were babies in a cinema at midnight.
Most news reports are misleading and wrong. According to an eye witness, that was sitting in the front row with him, he was not wearing all the gear when he first got in the theater and he changed into his tactical clothes.

He walked in and bought a ticket dresses normal and like a normal person. He sat in the front row. When the movie went through all of its previews and went began to start, he went to the back exit if the theater (which is not uncommon for people to do to exit a movie).

However, he had his bag of equipment he left out there so all he had to do was affix something to hold the exit doors cracked so he can re enter.

So when the movie was about to start, he went out the emergency exit, quickly changed into all that gear and re entered with all the weapons.

Jennifer Interview:

Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi Driver Aaron View Post
Most news reports are misleading and wrong. According to an eye witness, that was sitting in the front row with him, he was not wearing all the gear when he first got in the theater and he changed into his tactical clothes.

He walked in and bought a ticket dresses normal and like a normal person. He sat in the front row. When the movie went through all of its previews and went began to start, he went to the back exit if the theater (which is not uncommon for people to do to exit a movie).

However, he had his bag of equipment he left out there so all he had to do was affix something to hold the exit doors cracked so he can re enter.

So when the movie was about to start, he went out the emergency exit, quickly changed into all that gear and re entered with all the weapons.
So the emergency exit should have had an alarm, as I believe most places do. Allowing people to use the emergency exit like a normal exit is where security went wrong.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

As far as the situation relating to gun control laws, I think bad things like this are still going to happen. There is no way to prevent something like a perfectly unassuming, reserved, friendly person doing something like this out of nowhere, but there might be a way to help prevent drive-by shootings and other senseless acts of gun violence that happen every day on our doorsteps - the stuff you don't hear reported in the news as a major tragedy, with people interviewing their friends and family on national TV and having huge candlelight vigils for the victims. I do think one thing to consider is that if guns are completely outlawed, then the only people who will still bother or have means to get them are the most sketchy types of people, the last ones you'd want carrying them. But if everyone is able to carry them, you know for a fact that there will be accidents no matter how much we try to ensure that everyone is properly trained. ESPECIALLY in a situation where people are saying it would have been better if someone else had been armed.

Picture the scene - the theater was dark, there were two canisters of tear gas in the room. The guy was dressed in all black. The movie was in the middle of a gun scene according to witnesses. The shooter's guns were going off, people were running around, screaming, scrambling to get out of the theater. In all the confusion I'd say the last thing one would want is even more guns going off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi Driver Aaron View Post

Jennifer Interview:
With all the info that's been gathered at this point, that's basically exactly what happened.

"James Holmes" is a fairly generic name. I've heard reports of regular people names "James Holmes" being harrassed at their homes and on the internet. I wonder if they'll start giving him the three-name-treatment to alleviate confusion.

As for the guy himself, I'm fascinated. A lot of people here on the internet are saying, "The media is handling this all wrong and people are asking all the wrong questions, it doesn't matter what the guy was like or what he did for a living, he was crazy and then this happened so what now? That's all that matters. The more attention you give him the more he wins."

But why is it not okay to be curious about the guy? How come it's not okay to ask questions like, "What did he like to do on weekends? What kind of books did he like to read? Does he like thunderstorms? What's his favorite animal?" I guess what really bothers me is that it from the very little we know at this point, it seems like nobody bothered to ask those questions BEFORE all this happened, or get to know him at all. Not because he seemed different or strange, but because they worked with him every day, or because they saw him at the grocery store a lot. Or just because he was another living, breathing person, and as people we should take care of each other and make sure everyone knows, "Hey, I am interested and give a shit, and I would be very upset if something happened to you." For someone to be so disillusioned, or sad, or angry, or desperate, or whatever was going on, I guess he must not have felt like he had anyone like that who would care. It's really sad that he felt like he had to do something like this for people to ask questions and wonder about him.

I'm not trying to make him a victim too, but I'm wondering what his mindset was in the weeks, months or even years before he did this. I don't think it's as simple as just being crazy or wanting to see your name in the news.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée

Last edited by Azhiri; 07-21-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Old 07-21-2012, 03:52 PM
For me... formidable

SpanishFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post

But why is it not okay to be curious about the guy? How come it's not okay to ask questions like, "What did he like to do on weekends? What kind of books did he like to read? Does he like thunderstorms? What's his favorite animal?" I guess what really bothers me is that it from the very little we know at this point, it seems like nobody bothered to ask those questions BEFORE all this happened, or get to know him at all. Not because he seemed different or strange, but because they worked with him every day, or because they saw him at the grocery store a lot. Or just because he was another living, breathing person, and as people we should take care of each other and make sure everyone knows, "Hey, I am interested and give a shit, and I would be very upset if something happened to you." For someone to be so disillusioned, or sad, or angry, or desperate, or whatever was going on, I guess he must not have felt like he had anyone like that who would care. It's really sad that he felt like he had to do something like this for people to ask questions and wonder about him.

I'm not trying to make him a victim too, but I'm wondering what his mindset was in the weeks, months or even years before he did this. I don't think it's as simple as just being crazy or wanting to see your name in the news.

I would agree with that, but only for people who commit suicide.
When you go and plan how to kill innocent people in cold blood surely you can not blame only society, something must not be totally right in your head. It does not matter what society does to you, if you are depressed, or if you feel anger. If you decide to set a plan to kill innocent random people, surely there is something wrong with you, mentally.

Otherwise this would happen every hour every day everywhere.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Having amateurs in a panic situation firing guns in a closed space full of people running every which way does not sound safer to me.
That's why they can't be amateurs. They should be trained, knowledgeable, and understanding of their responsibility.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think arming yourself in order to try to stop such an event is likely to end bad. Having amateurs in a panic situation firing guns in a closed space full of people running every which way does not sound safer to me. I also think a person needs to keep things in perspective and remember that the chance that you will be present at such an event is still quite low. I'm not arguing for or against gun control here, I'm simply talking about reality in a specific scenario.

I look at it like this
For every round the "villain" uses to try to take out the "hero" with a weapon is one less round used on someone else.

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Old 07-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Take me to Lilly Town

Taxi Driver Aaron is on a distinguished road

Please ... feel free to post long @$$ articles!

Closed Thread