Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 08-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

I agree with you Barrett. I also think there’s a big difference between what one likes and doesn’t like vs. what one thinks is good and one thinks is not good. And still the matter is quite subjective.

Personally, I find myself at times falling into all the categories below:

1. I like something I believe to be good
2. I like something I believe to be not so good
3. I dislike something I believe to be good
4. I dislike something I believe to be not so good

If I try to be as objective as possible, I know my likes and dislikes don’t always match what I believe is good and bad. Therefore, I don’t like to label something as good or bad based solely on my enjoyment of it. I think comparing Alizée to other artists is a bit like comparing apples and oranges.

As far as the popularity issue goes, I don’t think one can rely on Google searches too much without knowing what algorithms they use. I think a more valuable statistic from a purely business point of view is CD and ticket sales, though sales may not always equate directly to popularity. Nonetheless, they are useful numbers and they are important to the gatekeepers of the music industry. Sales will always be more important to them than where an artist appears on a search engine list.

Having said all that, I still enjoy seeing Alizée's name pop up early in a search list.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Alizéeist Fanatic

Pjoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1. I like something I believe to be good
2. I like something I believe to be not so good
3. I dislike something I believe to be good
4. I dislike something I believe to be not so good

If I try to be as objective as possible, I know my likes and dislikes don’t always match what I believe is good and bad. Therefore, I don’t like to label something as good or bad based solely on my enjoyment of it.
It's the same thing as thinking WoW is a bad game, yet playing it. It got to do with the way it makes you feel when you actually achieve something. If you would consider the dopamine in your brain as a part of the game, it would be awesome game. Assuming you actually achieve something, thus releasing the dopamine. So you actually play game you objectively feel is bad for years, just cause it's just so damn good! WARNING: Dopamine has been proven to cause psychological addiction!
So, it might be you like the music because of the memories attached to it or something, but it isn't something that makes music good, it just is a piece of music that triggers those memories, make you feel good. It's even more subjective opinion then, because the music acts as a trigger to those memories only when you hear it. It actually isn't part of the music.
Like say, hypothetically, having crush on Alizée and brain releasing ammounts of neurotransmitters every time you hear her voice isn't. And then it just automates after that cause the music is associated with pleasure. Would certainly explain why we have so many conservatives(It's a joke! kinda) here listening to music that should've stopped being aesthetical intresting years ago. Brain is funny thing.

Maybe I was a bit too objective, that's almost like saying Alizée isn't good artist... Maybe I should set myself on fire. Dangers of overanalyzing...

Anyways, I've never been much for music, always rated it by how it makes me feel, as I don't see any other reason to listen to music. And well, the music is in french, french speak french, french life in France, France is actually a country I could tolerate, thus the music is awesome.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Century old child!

wildfire is on a distinguished road

First post... how ironic that it should be about how I first found Alizee. Being a fan of Sophie Marceau, I came across pix of Alizee... obviously it was ones of her "fed up" song which come out on top. I remember almost forgetting about Sophie... ;D When it came time to look her up again to show a friend, I didn't recall her name so I just looked up "french singer" and there she was. This was just a few months ago, btw... Sites like this helped me "catch up". thank you BTW...

BTW, when I first saw her, I thought she was 25 or something (she was 18 i believe) and unfortunately dismissed her as a probable mess like her american counterparts.. wrapped in scandal. When I got to know of her and her values, thats where my fandom began. I had gotten so used to big pop start ending up in rehab with sex tapes and reality TV shows and here you get the opposite.. and better music to boot! ;D What a great role model.. balancing success, work and family, and what courage to take charge of her art with her first album.

BTW I think the reason I mistook her age was, well partially because of the compression on youtube videos, but also because she is so mature and poised.

Last edited by wildfire; 09-12-2009 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: I can't thpell
Old 09-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire View Post
First post... how ironic that it should be about how I first found Alizee. Being a fan of Sophie Marceau, I came across pix of Alizee... obviously it was ones of her "fed up" song which come out on top. I remember almost forgetting about Sophie... ;D When it came time to look her up again to show a friend, I didn't recall her name so I just looked up "french singer" and there she was. This was just a few months ago, btw... Sites like this helped me "catch up". thank you BTW...

BTW, when I first saw her, I thought she was 25 or something (she was 18 i believe) and unfortunately dismissed her as a probable mess like her american counterparts.. wrapped in scandal. When I got to know of her and her values, thats where my fandom began. I had gotten so used to big pop start ending up in rehab with sex tapes and reality TV shows and here you get the opposite.. and better music to boot! ;D What a great role model.. balancing success, work and family, and what courage to take charge of her art with her first album.

BTW I think the reason I mistook her age was, well partially because of the compression on youtube videos, but also because she is so mature and poised.
Welcome to our site, Wildfire! I'm glad you found us. Many of us have expressed the same sentiments here when we first discovered Alizée.

Enjoy your stay here !
Old 09-12-2009, 09:05 PM

ALS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterski95 View Post
Some of the comments are kinda disturbing
Those are from the guys who have never had a date in their lives.

30 years old and living in their parents basement.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterski95 View Post
Some of the comments are kinda disturbing
nasty little kids trying to sound cool on the internet! all the cool kids are doing it!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:16 AM

Criss_pl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
nasty little kids trying to sound cool on the internet! all the cool kids are doing it!
All over the Internet there are 'cool' kids
And do we sound cool?
Old 09-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Alizéeist Fanatic

Pjoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss_pl View Post
All over the Internet there are 'cool' kids
And do we sound cool?
Cool is just another word for sheep.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

very first comment:

parkerjayleno
"god if i could have sex with her to this song one time i would let her bite off my cock, seriously"

hmm.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post

very first comment:

parkerjayleno
"god if i could have sex with her to this song one time i would let her bite off my cock, seriously"

hmm.
That's normal.
Don't let it get under your skin.