Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 01-20-2011, 09:29 PM

Hylas1896 is on a distinguished road
Default Les Collines Acting

It's been a while since I've been around. Still a huge fan, but I'm definitely off the 'kool-aid'.

Anyways, Les Collines is amazing (both the song and the music video).

Still, her acting in Les Collines has to be the most impressive show of detached snootiness I have ever seen. Impressive acting to be sure, I'm sure she intended all of it.

I'm just wondering, what does everyone else have to say about this song and it's lyrics as they relate to the emotional fireworks in the video?

Hylas1896
Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Alizée's Thug Life

severianb is on a distinguished road

Oh, nice thread topic. Fresh. I like it.

You just caused me to watch that video a couple times in a row, so I could reply.

My thoughts..... in part of the video, you see her singing with no clothing... yes, it's just her shoulders, but I got the hope that this character was going to reveal everything... expose herself totally. That is what I got from the image at first... but then the voice and eyes... like stone. A massive wall telling me I would see nothing of the important parts of this person. The exposed skin had no meaning after all.

Take your phrase "detached snootiness"... I think the "Detached" part is dead on. The "snootiness" implys some glimpse inside this character's personality, and I feel we get non of that. Every part of this video implys a person with a impenetrable wall around themselves or the possiblity you are looking at a burnt-out shell of a human being.... or both.

Anyway, I thnk she did a great, understated job on this. I enjoy the fact she totally changed herself for this. Watch the Moi... Lolita video and this together. A few quirks make it through, but two totally different people otherwise. Fine work.

Lilly-Mullet & Do-Rag Appreciation Club Member #2 (member #1 Fevier)
Old 01-21-2011, 12:09 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by severianb View Post
Watch the Moi... Lolita video and this together. A few quirks make it through, but two totally different people otherwise. Fine work.
I would say it is expected that it would be two different persons regardless of the job Alizée did in Les collines. One is just not the same person at 15 and 25... Well, I hope so

Edit:

As for an analysis of the meaning of Les collines and how the images and the lyrics relate, I would say this is not a very easy one. The problem is that it is part of the concept of the album for sure (ref. Edie Sedgwick life at the Factory), but also, I have a feeling it is somehow related to Alizée’s own life experience. I might add some thoughts later on, but I have to think about it more... Not easy...
And as sev said, nice thread topic.

Last edited by Corsaire; 01-21-2011 at 12:35 AM..
Old 01-21-2011, 12:35 AM

Hylas1896 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by severianb View Post
Oh, nice thread topic. Fresh. I like it.

Take your phrase "detached snootiness"... I think the "Detached" part is dead on. The "snootiness" implys some glimpse inside this character's personality, and I feel we get non of that. Every part of this video implys a person with a impenetrable wall around themselves or the possiblity you are looking at a burnt-out shell of a human being.... or both.
Well, often when people feel one way what they project is exactly the opposite. For example, I'm not an arrogant guy (mostly ) but when I don't feel comfortable around people I'm sometimes a jerk in a standoffish sort of way.

Anyways, when a women wears clothes and makeup like that it sends a rather distinct message (not THAT message). Thick makeup, turtleneck shirt, it just piles on and on. It sets up a big shell. Same goes for the whole bit about hiding the eyes behind the rim of the hat.

At the same time, there is a bit of furtive coyness to the whole thing (which contrasts strikingly with the closeups of her lips and, perhaps, the dark room with the colored spotlights).

Also, notice when she 'cricks' her neck to one side, her chin, and how she stare right at you, but only in the 'dark room'. Very strong body language.

Hylas1896

Last edited by Hylas1896; 01-21-2011 at 12:45 AM..
Old 01-24-2011, 12:21 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Actually, while I was searching for an unrelated piece of information, I saw a few interviews that Alizée made to support UEDS. I did not know about this, but there is an additional character in this song. Alizée clearly stated that Les collines is about a woman who goes to New York and meets Edie Sedgwick. The woman begins to live the life of Edie and she is involved in a relationship that is similar to what Edie and Warhol had. Although the woman loves New York, she realizes that this life is not for her and she decides to flee to the hills (collines). The lyrics seem to fit this concept well. The images of the clip remain cryptic to me and interpretations can vary.

Alizée also mentioned in one interview that this woman could very well be herself. I suppose this means that there could be some autobiographic references as I hinted in my previous post.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:48 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylas1896 View Post
...Also, notice when she 'cricks' her neck to one side, her chin, and how she stare right at you, but only in the 'dark room'. Very strong body language. Hylas1896
Your turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
Actually, while I was searching for an unrelated piece of information, I saw a few interviews that Alizée made to support UEDS. I did not know about this, but there is an additional character in this song. Alizée clearly stated that Les collines is about a woman who goes to New York and meets Edie Sedgwick. The woman begins to live the life of Edie and she is involved in a relationship that is similar to what Edie and Warhol had. Although the woman loves New York, she realizes that this life is not for her and she decides to flee to the hills (collines). The lyrics seem to fit this concept well. The images of the clip remain cryptic to me and interpretations can vary.

Alizée also mentioned in one interview that this woman could very well be herself. I suppose this means that there could be some autobiographic references as I hinted in my previous post.

In one of those interviews I believe that Alizée indicated facination with Edie and the way she lived, but also said that she was not like her.

Alizée is who she is. I like the way that she is now using makeup to show when she is "in character." Look at her recent appearances - the more makeup, (usually, but not always - there have been a couple of exceptions) the more distant she is from who she really is.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:16 AM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

I don't mean to sound lazy, but could someone please post the interviews here? I'd like to see them, I don't think I've watched any interviews regarding only UEdS.

I think Alizee has done some acting in several of her videos and in this one she comes across as isolated and cold to me. I think that goes hand in hand with some of UEdS's subject matter (in fact there are even certain tones we see in the album that bring Pink Floyd's "The Wall" to mind, though I'm probably the only one who thinks so).

I've wondered for a while now what exactly sparked this interest in Edie Sedgwick, of all women to do a concept album about/involving. I'm guessing she just saw her in a movie and was struck by her somehow. Has she ever commented on that?

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 01-24-2011, 03:50 AM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
I don't mean to sound lazy, but could someone please post the interviews here? I'd like to see them, I don't think I've watched any interviews regarding only UEdS.

I think Alizee has done some acting in several of her videos and in this one she comes across as isolated and cold to me. I think that goes hand in hand with some of UEdS's subject matter (in fact there are even certain tones we see in the album that bring Pink Floyd's "The Wall" to mind, though I'm probably the only one who thinks so).

I've wondered for a while now what exactly sparked this interest in Edie Sedgwick, of all women to do a concept album about/involving. I'm guessing she just saw her in a movie and was struck by her somehow. Has she ever commented on that?
Yea Andy the imposter, Edie the burnt out model and Alizee. The three make a wonderful pair lol. I think beginning with the collaboration of writers in psych, song 50/60 sparked her interest and carried over to her collaboration in Ueds as a concept album is probably the reason for the focus. Your guess is probably close to accurate in terms of how Alizee got smitten by Edie. Maybe someone has heard an interview that made it clear the connection beyond just her statements that the concept album is based on Edie.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:01 AM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I've never understood this fascination with Edie Sedgewick. Her story is rather tragic and the only parallel I can make between the two is that Edie was sort of a puppet.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:04 AM
Ethical

DrSmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
The movie Factory Girl did come out in 2006. I wonder if Alizée watches American films.