Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Man Among Men

puffyrock2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtentp View Post
Funny, I was between seeing this and Twilight when I were to the cinimas couple of months ago. Luckily I took the right choice and watched this one instead of the latter piece of rubbish

Cool to see it got some international recognition aswell.

Watched The Martyrs the other day and I really like the first half. Then the movie kind of lost all meaning, and the end? Ok for an tragical ending but this was absurd. Wouldn't really recommend this movie to the average viewers, but it sure was original
You mean the french horror movie "Martyrs", correct? The film begins fairly straightforward but really takes a psychological turn toward the end. You'd never think after watching the first half that the movie really deals with the question of whether or not there is an afterlife.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

I've seen a batch of older movies for the first time recently:

Goodfellas: I was actually a little bit disappointed. It's a good movie, but I've rather recently watched the Godfather trilogy. I was expecting it to be on par with the Godfather movies but felt it fell short. With the Goodfather movies there was always a sense of mystery to be solved and a sense of direction/purpose. Goodfellas seemed much more a tail of ascendancy marked with the seeds of the eventual downward spiral.

Training Day: I really enjoyed this movie, but the end development still doesn't sit right with me. There seem to be a few character inconsistencies that need to be there to serve the story but just seem, well, not entirely consistent with the character.

Swingers: This was much less of a comedy than I was expecting and much more of a genuine movie about relationships. I was disappointed that I didn't get laugh as much as I was expecting but in the end I didn't mind because I was impressed that is was a proper movie with a good story and message.

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels: LOL now this is my kind dark comedy. Great movie for people that can stand up to British dark comedy. I had to watch this one twice. I even impressed myself in being able to decode a bit of cockney rhyming slang; for example, understanding how "Nick the Greek" becomes "Nick the Bubble"
Old 08-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Man Among Men

puffyrock2 is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a DVD of the film "The Girl Next Door", not the 2004 comedy of the same name but a 2007 thriller based on the true story of the torture and murder of a teenage girl by her aunt and cousins.

As a horror fan i'm pretty jaded, but this flick shook me to the core and left me in tears. Its shocking and its powerful, but you have to be prepared emotionally to handle with this movie has in store. Its a punch to the gut and NOT for the faint of heart. No joke.

My favorite review from a netflix member:
"This movie was so disturbing i actually threw up. I wish i could erase it from my mind"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/typY725pjZ4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/typY725pjZ4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by puffyrock2; 08-06-2009 at 09:12 PM..
Old 08-06-2009, 07:41 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels: LOL now this is my kind dark comedy. Great movie for people that can stand up to British dark comedy. I had to watch this one twice. I even impressed myself in being able to decode a bit of cockney rhyming slang; for example, understanding how "Nick the Greek" becomes "Nick the Bubble"
great movie one of my favorites

Old 08-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Im a 100% Sone

Srbski-kralj is on a distinguished road

yeah hurt locker was a great movie, I agree with you wasabii one good war movie indeed.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

So i'm going to be the only one expecting this movie probably

It's a bit of a nerdgasm on my part.
I love the whole Assassin theme.
Plus the actors are someof my returning favorites as well.
Sung Kang, Rick Yune, and of course, the lead character is played by Korean singer Rain, who is acting in his second official English movie (first being Speed Racer).
Old 08-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Im a 100% Sone

Srbski-kralj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
So i'm going to be the only one expecting this movie probably

It's a bit of a nerdgasm on my part.
I love the whole Assassin theme.
Plus the actors are someof my returning favorites as well.
Sung Kang, Rick Yune, and of course, the lead character is played by Korean singer Rain, who is acting in his second official English movie (first being Speed Racer).
Nope im looking forwards to it also, i also love assassin movies and figthing .

This weekend I watched GI-JOE i tought it was preaty cook, story wise anyways lol.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Founder: 5,060 club.

wasabi622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
intrestingly, the guy who played the white ninja guy in GI Joe is also a korean drama actor too.. i was very suprised to see him.

AND.. dunno if any other asian picked up on this, but in the flash backs of him and snake eyes, they switch speaking between korean and.. well, japanese or chinese. not sure which one, but they do, and it confused me.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
intrestingly, the guy who played the white ninja guy in GI Joe is also a korean drama actor too.. i was very suprised to see him.

AND.. dunno if any other asian picked up on this, but in the flash backs of him and snake eyes, they switch speaking between korean and.. well, japanese or chinese. not sure which one, but they do, and it confused me.
Yeah, but that's just another typecasting thing Hollywood did.
The role of Storm Shadow is Japanese, but Lee Byung-Hun is Korean, and Snake Eyes is apparently "blood brothers" with Storm Shadow as they trained with the same master, but apparently he's played by Ray Park, an Scotsman (whose name could also pose for a Korean-American).
Gotta love the laziness sometimes.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Sunglasses wearing bloke

Chommpers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffyrock2 View Post
I recently bought a DVD of the film "The Girl Next Door", not the 2004 comedy of the same name but a 2007 thriller based on the true story of the torture and murder of a teenage girl by her aunt and cousins.

As a horror fan i'm pretty jaded, but this flick shook me to the core and left me in tears. Its shocking and its powerful, but you have to be prepared emotionally to handle with this movie has in store. Its a punch to the gut and NOT for the faint of heart. No joke.

My favorite review from a netflix member:
"This movie was so disturbing i actually threw up. I wish i could erase it from my mind"
Yeah the actual girl was Sylvia Likens, the torture and death happened in my hometown of Indianapolis, Indiana in 1965. I have drove by the house where it happened. The Girl Next Door book turned movie was more inspired by the actually murder. If you want you can read about it, its a really sad story and those who did it didn't receive justice. A movie was released called An American Crime that follows the story more closely if you wish to see it, but doesn't mention everything that she had to endure. Ellen Page of Juno fame plays Sylvia Likens. It really tears your heart out to think a young girl actually went through all this and I will never understand how people can do something like this.

^ By the beautifully creative Amelie! Merci!