Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road
Default Are male and female really different?

This was a topic I had to write a paper on and it got me thinking, are the two sexes all that different? This is only a 1st draft so if may have errors.

Mike H****** H*** page 1
Professor ********
English 101 (Draft)
23, September 2008
The Extreme Difference
“Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.” According to popular stereotypes, Men and Women are completely different. So different in fact, that each sex was awarded their own planet! But are the two sexes really all that different? After all we are both human beings, we both need the food, water and shelter in order to live. We both have emotions and we both are able to think logically and coherently, how can this small difference we call gender make us so different? Is it the way we are raised, what we are taught or is gender something that has to do with science and genetics?
For the most part boys and girls grow up in a completely different environments. Like in Tannen’s His and Hers, boys and girls socialize with their friends in different ways. Boys like to be in packs or large groups. Within these groups there is this ever so apparent rivalry present between its members. In order to be excepted into the pack one has to prove themselves worthy to the others which usually causes the constant competition and bitter rivalry’s between members. Maybe this is why boys get a taste for sports at an early age, competition is something we are taught to love. Without this competitiveness a boy may find himself banished from the pack, or constantly ridiculed by the more dominate boys in the group. As with girls; girls tend to be more genital and more expecting of their friends. Girls tend to play in small groups and aren’t as competitive as young boys.
It is when girls are surrounded by boys, maybe if she has only brothers or only a male guardian to care for her, that she starts to act like a boy and is stereotypically called a
H***** page 2
“tomboy.” If gender is in genetics, than how is this girl able to act like a boy? It also
works the same way around too. Boys who only grow up in a female environment, maybe only sisters as siblings, tend to act more like a girl. They lose a bit of their competitive edge and become more sensitive. This is because they tend to want to be like their sisters or female influence the same way the girl wanted to be like her male influence in the other scenario. Is this factual proof that gender is taught?
We all know the stereotypical differences between men and women. Men are more straight forward and aggressive where as women are more gentle, sensitive, caring, and better with social skills. What I find funny is this relates right back to the way men and women were raised and or taught.
One my argue, just look at the physical and chemical difference between men and women. Men are “usually” bigger and stronger due to the chemical hormone called testosterone. Many say that it is this “testosterone” that causes men to be more aggressive and power hungry where as women have what is called estrogen which gives them totally different characteristics. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that the “average” male is bigger than the average female, doesn’t that prove right there that the difference in men and women is genetics?
Not so fast; personally I do not agree. Sure one ca not argue genetics play a role to some extent, but I think the way someone is raised and brought up; who they hang around with can over ride their genetics. The mind controls the body; so if the mind is reprogrammed to think one thing, it makes sense that it cant totally ignore the body’s chemistry. A transvestite is somebody who proves this true. Transvestites ignore their
H******* page 3
genetics that they were born with and take on the characteristics of the opposite sex they desire.
The only difference between men and women is physical appearance and even sometimes in that area there is no difference. In terms of characteristics, genetics only play a small role; which leaves me to believe man and women are more the same then most people may think. Men and women are not from different planets after all, we are just taught and raised on different planets!

So do you guys agree with me, is gender for the most part taught?

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!

Last edited by Future Raptor Ace; 09-24-2008 at 10:17 PM..
Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

Environment is what it is.
I personally could denounce many traits stereotyped in a male, but yet I have some of them so well. I don't like competition, for the most part, if ever I compete it is only for the thrill and fun of it, and never to win. I don't like sports, as a majority, I watch football here and there, support Man. U or Pompey, but this is a passive and lesser end of my existence. I don't like over-socialization, I enjoy it when I require it, but i'd rather stay home alone, and explore the inner contents of mentality, wisdom, and improve on what I must, whether it be education, musical skill, artistic expression, or whatnot.

I think it is all about influence. Society tends to conform to tradition, girls should act this way, boys should act this way, I say that's bullcrap, like society has always been. It is wise you keep some part of this tradition however, if you train a female to act like a boy all of her life, then chances are she might alter to a homosexual relation. My uncle has three sons, two of which are gay, simply because my uncle was always at home whereas my aunt did all the hard work, the two boys drew heavy influence from the female dominance, and now they are homosexual. The other son however, well he was a social rebel quite like me, he snuck out, didn't care much about parenting and doing good in school, he remained straight, and well, he's not doing too bad now, he now lives in California and actually is making a good living working as a sound guy in the Hollywood studios.

It IS about influence, it comes down to the pathway, girl that likes Jonas Brothers? Or girl that likes Opeth.
Boys that like Fall Out "fags", or boys that like Opeth.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Blacksmith/knifemaker

woohoo is on a distinguished road

Referring to to Descartes(the prisoner in chains theory) and your statement about gender being taught i believe that gender is taught. when one is surrounded by a idea or way of life they are integrated in to that thinking. In India There are people called Eunnichs
that are considered (not male or female) but a different gender altogether because they feel like something they are not and so they change to fit their thinking. So if you live in a place where the only things you see are the things that are accepted by society them you will be accepted into society with no problem, but when you learn something different thats when problems arise and you are rejected by society.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nickwoo2
Old 09-25-2008, 12:10 PM
recovering alizée addict

dreamer is on a distinguished road

There is a strong biological influence, there can be no doubt about that. So I would disagree that gender is "for the most part taught".

Read this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/prog..._summary.shtml

There are countless other examples that demonstrate that the differences between the sexes are in part hard-wired and not merely due to environmental influences. You should have done more research before writing your paper.

Last edited by dreamer; 09-25-2008 at 12:17 PM..
Old 09-25-2008, 12:14 PM
recovering alizée addict

dreamer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My uncle has three sons, two of which are gay, simply because my uncle was always at home whereas my aunt did all the hard work, the two boys drew heavy influence from the female dominance, and now they are homosexual.
That is speculation on your part. You don't know why they're homosexual.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Languishing Without Lili

NarutoSoul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Raptor Ace View Post
“Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.” According to popular stereotypes, Men and Women are completely different. So different in fact, that each sex was awarded their own planet!
Really? I always thought that was derived from the Roman gods, Mars and Venus. Mars being the Roman god of War(representative of male strength and aggression), and Venus being the Roman goddess of Love and Beauty(representative of female tenderness and beauty).

Old 09-25-2008, 04:01 PM

deanej is on a distinguished road

I think both biological and environmental differences play a role.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:54 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

It's absolutely a combination of genetic and environmental factors. If we really wanted to, we could make boys grow up more like women, and make girls grow up more like men, with regard to beliefs and behaviours. Why bother with such a thing, though? The gender gap is a lovely thing.

D'ailleurs, you could do with less clichés in your formal writing. In addition to that, possibly more important, you should never use quotations unless you're quoting something, or referring to the word rather than its meaning. "Testosterone" isn't something that somebody said, it's a hormone, it doesn't need quotes. "Average" is the same, as is "usually". In general, you should pick up the formality. Rather than "I find this funny", try "This is unusual" and the like.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by espire View Post
It's absolutely a combination of genetic and environmental factors. If we really wanted to, we could make boys grow up more like women, and make girls grow up more like men, with regard to beliefs and behaviours. Why bother with such a thing, though? The gender gap is a lovely thing.

D'ailleurs, you could do with less clichés in your formal writing. In addition to that, possibly more important, you should never use quotations unless you're quoting something, or referring to the word rather than its meaning. "Testosterone" isn't something that somebody said, it's a hormone, it doesn't need quotes. "Average" is the same, as is "usually". In general, you should pick up the formality. Rather than "I find this funny", try "This is unusual" and the like.
I agree with Espire. Also, too many of your statements come across as speculation or opinion on your part. You should qualify your statements by following up with one or two concrete examples based on established fact. If you are going to refer to areas of knowledge such as biochemistry and genetics to make your case, make sure you have a working knowledge of these disciplines, at least to the extent that they affect your subject. Your paper comes across somewhat as armchair speculation, not rooted in any true research on the subject.

If I was your professor grading your paper, I would be asking, “How does he know that?” after each statement you make (if it is not considered a generally known and accepted fact). If that question is left unanswered in your paper, then I would disqualify the statement. By the time I got through your paper, there wouldn’t be much left to your argument.

Of course I don’t know exactly what the purpose of the assignment was. If you are supposed to write a convincing argument on the topic, then I stand by what I said above.

If the assignment is to just write how you feel on the subject, then I would change the tone of the writing. Instead of sounding like you are trying to make a case for your position, word it more like it is your personal feelings on the subject.

I think that if you look over your paper with these things in mind, you will be able to make some improvements and thus get a better grade. Of course my suggestions are just my opinion and hopefully more people will comment and give you ideas. (Where is Deepwaters? I think everyone here is pulling for you to do well in college and any criticism or suggestions are meant in that spirit.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
I agree with Espire. Also, too many of your statements come across as speculation or opinion on your part. You should qualify your statements by following up with one or two concrete examples based on established fact. If you are going to refer to areas of knowledge such as biochemistry and genetics to make your case, make sure you have a working knowledge of these disciplines, at least to the extent that they affect your subject. Your paper comes across somewhat as armchair speculation, not rooted in any true research on the subject.

If I was your professor grading your paper, I would be asking, “How does he know that?” after each statement you make (if it is not considered a generally known and accepted fact). If that question is left unanswered in your paper, then I would disqualify the statement. By the time I got through your paper, there wouldn’t be much left to your argument.

Of course I don’t know exactly what the purpose of the assignment was. If you are supposed to write a convincing argument on the topic, then I stand by what I said above.

If the assignment is to just write how you feel on the subject, then I would change the tone of the writing. Instead of sounding like you are trying to make a case for your position, word it more like it is your personal feelings on the subject.

I think that if you look over your paper with these things in mind, you will be able to make some improvements and thus get a better grade. Of course my suggestions are just my opinion and hopefully more people will comment and give you ideas. (Where is Deepwaters? I think everyone here is pulling for you to do well in college and any criticism or suggestions are meant in that spirit.
thanks lefty ill take that into account when I type the final. No my professor inst grading the draft but she is checking it. The truth is I was speculating because I am not entirely sure

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!