Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Support

Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 AM

highdefdude is on a distinguished road

The problem with most flatscreen tv's is that they use internal digital signal processing that almost always introduce a small amount of side-effects like grain. (most visible on LCD's)
And as small this effect might be, it always ads up to the imperfections of DVD's. Ofcource, BluRay has a much "cleaner" picture (but not always!!)

So if your DVD has a grain that is hardly noticable, it can become noticable added with the grain of digital processing. With most higher quality tv's, these digital filters can be switched off. These filters are introduced to make the picture look sharper.

Best way still is to watch movies on a high quality CRT-monitor or in my case, with a high quality CRT-projector. Just try "Alizee en concert" on a Illyama or Eizo 21 inch monitor (calibrated) and you'll see what I mean..

But times change: When OLED becomes "adult", even the day's of high-end CRT-systems are numbered!

Regards,

HDD.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefdude View Post
The problem with most flatscreen tv's is that they use internal digital signal processing that almost always introduce a small amount of side-effects like grain. (most visible on LCD's)
And as small this effect might be, it always ads up to the imperfections of DVD's. Ofcource, BluRay has a much "cleaner" picture (but not always!!)

So if your DVD has a grain that is hardly noticable, it can become noticable added with the grain of digital processing. With most higher quality tv's, these digital filters can be switched off. These filters are introduced to make the picture look sharper.

Best way still is to watch movies on a high quality CRT-monitor or in my case, with a high quality CRT-projector. Just try "Alizee en concert" on a Illyama or Eizo 21 inch monitor (calibrated) and you'll see what I mean..

But times change: When OLED becomes "adult", even the day's of high-end CRT-systems are numbered!

Regards,

HDD.
Thanks. That was educational. Out with the boob toob!
and yeah, I'm underwhelmed at the quality of say television on some of these flat screens. My friend has a like 40 or 50 " plasma, but it does weird things and the action looks strange on a movie or something. maybe just a cheap set.

Merci Fanny
Old 12-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Lili Addict

Idéaliser is on a distinguished road

I want a 120" screen! Hehe En Concert works fine on my little 22" that's in my room
Old 12-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Woof !

Just a Guest is on a distinguished road

Bigger ain't always better...
People tend to replace their screens with bigger ones but they keep watching at the same viewing distance.
There is a somewhat general rule that the optimal viewing distance is about 4 to 5 times the diagonal of the screen.
For that reason I like to sit in a cinema at least in the middle or beyond that. (depending on the size of the theatre of course)

Sitting to close at the screen makes bad quality images (noise, mpeg encoding artefacts etc.) more obvious and it's more tiring to watch.
(your eyes and/or neck movements)

A postcard looks allright holding it in your hands to look at.
You can blow it up to a huge poster and it looks like crap.
Increase the viewing distance so it will look about the same size as the postcard and you won't even notice the difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefdude View Post
I can not agree more with you.
I am a pro-user and I have never seen a decent broadcast LCD monitor.
€ 20.000 +++ for a Mickey Mouse sized "broadcast" monitor... It was a laugh! Terrible.
(not to mention plasma crap)
Old 12-22-2008, 11:07 AM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Guest View Post
There is a somewhat general rule that the optimal viewing distance is about 4 to 5 times the diagonal of the screen.
I highly disagree with that

both my brother and uncle have projectors (80"+and 120" respectively) and I see very little distortion sitting at a viewing distance of 6' at my bro's and about 9' at my uncles so both under the size of the diagonal of the screens and I don't see a big difference (I've seen some really bad quality screens )

the thing is getting a good projector or TV with a projector I believe DLP is the best way to go and projected on a smooth gray screen (not white)

I've watch the same movies on my Samsung 226BW LCD monitor and various CRT monitors as well and as far as I can tell there is little difference
a bigger screen will always distort more
but I find that my Samsung monitor shows in the best quality, even better than an HD TV with BluRay
just what I've noticed

Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Woof !

Just a Guest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
I highly disagree with that
That's fine by me, but do not confuse "impressively big" with "comfortable".
It's a matter of how the human eye with the brain works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jung_adore_ALIZEE View Post
but I find that my Samsung monitor shows in the best quality, even better than an HD TV with BluRay
just what I've noticed
All LCD's (still) looks like shit. Trust me.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:54 PM
D[e]mon of the Fall

jung_adore_ALIZEE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Guest View Post
That's fine by me, but do not confuse "impressively big" with "comfortable".
It's a matter of how the human eye with the brain works.

that's fine you go ahead and think that

Old 12-23-2008, 01:52 PM

rcs is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Roman;122736]...We were told there would not be, though one can speculate that they are perhaps just waiting to finish the 2nd half of the tour before they select what they want for a DVD...QUOTE]

Blah, I missed that news. So they apparently will scrap the footage. What a waste.

Alizee: Wowww!
Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
that's fine you go ahead and think that
Oh no, not this again!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 PM

rcs is on a distinguished road
Cool Nevermore

Tube, Projectors, DLPs, plasmas, or LCDs...it's a never ending debate when the new comes out. Go to any HD forum, and you'll be sure to come across the like. I can remember having to defend my 1st purchase of an HDTV vs the old boobtube.

But as with any new Lili music or video, it's caused quite a few of you guys to go out and spare no expense to update electronics. Only the best for Alizee, eh?

Alizee: Wowww!