Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Off Topic

Old 09-14-2018, 08:49 PM

Shepherd is on a distinguished road

Julia's looking pretty good.

https://www.facebook.com/juliacommet...034175540/?t=3
Old 09-15-2018, 07:11 AM

Jenny_HRO87 is on a distinguished road

To be honest... this song is pretty lame. It doesn't get into my head and while Julia has a good voice the entire arrangement is kinda emotionless.

Apart from having nothing of Alizée's charm the song and entire performance is nothing special and rather poor to other French singers. Look at Louane for example. Same type of girl but what a voice and what emotion! Ok, maybe it's just the song itself, SEXTO isn't great. But I doubt that Julia will be very successful at least not outside France.

Edit:

It's nice to have this little behind the scenes video with Alizée tho. It looks like the girls there were actually eager to take a selfie with the former "Lolita".

Last edited by Jenny_HRO87; 09-15-2018 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 09-15-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_HRO87 View Post
To be honest... this song is pretty lame. It doesn't get into my head and while Julia has a good voice the entire arrangement is kinda emotionless.

Apart from having nothing of Alizée's charm the song and entire performance is nothing special and rather poor to other French singers. Look at Louane for example. Same type of girl but what a voice and what emotion! Ok, maybe it's just the song itself, SEXTO isn't great. But I doubt that Julia will be very successful at least not outside France.

I agree with you on almost everything. The music is uninspiring, the performance is generic, and Julia doesn't have the X-Factor. Even so, Julia's looking pretty good.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:27 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapinschous View Post
The parallels are making me smile from ear to ear

Just look at that last little dance move at the end
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnt01Y3H...taken-by=julia

If anybody wants to download the IG clip, it is on my Google drive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sQ...wEStDH-uQQNZHt
Old 09-17-2018, 01:12 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Thanks CleverCowboy!
Old 09-27-2018, 08:22 AM
Administrator

I decided to check up to see how SEXTO is doing after a few weeks on YouTube, and I would say mediocre at best. Almost a third of the votes are a thumbs down, which is really surprising. It's not a bad video at all. Maybe they did not like the music, which is pretty retro. I probably like the song and the video better this time around than when it came out.

A few things caught my attention about the video. They are not meant to poke fun at the work of Julia or MF, but I guess it struck me as a little funny:

* The guys still look like they are still in high school and they are in control of a recording studio.

* If you look like a young Ashton Kutcher, you get all the pretty girls.

* The wetting (or drying) of the lips that Julia does in video was probably schooled by MF, but the over-exaggerated one she does at 2:14 makes her look like she has a drooling problem.

* The guy doing some kind of "paperwork" at 3:12 looks more like he forgot to do his math homework.

The end.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:45 PM

After checking out SEXTO, which I like but don't see as standing out from thousands of other recordings by young women, I went back to "Ma Priére" to see if there was anything in it that predicted Alizée's great success. She's attractive, but not more than many other girls. She does have an outstanding voice, but so do many talent contestants. She made an excellent choice of music. She has a lot of self-confidence and an excellent stage presence. I like the little dance step she takes at the bottom of the stairs. And then there is something more: the X-factor. I have watched this video dozens of times and never grow tired of it. Having said all that, I would have been cautious in my prediction. She could become a big star--I would say--but I wouldn't guarantee it. And then came Myléne Farmer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN1L...E-RIX&index=22

Last edited by Shepherd; 09-27-2018 at 04:54 PM..
Old 09-27-2018, 04:58 PM

Edsel Di Meo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
* If you look like a young Ashton Kutcher, you get all the pretty girls.

* The wetting (or drying) of the lips that Julia does in video was probably schooled by MF, but the over-exaggerated one she does at 2:14 makes her look like she has a drooling problem.

* The guy doing some kind of "paperwork" at 3:12 looks more like he forgot to do his math homework.

The end.
I laughed out loud with this
Old 09-27-2018, 05:01 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

That doesn't surprise me. It has good music, a beautiful young lady with a very good voice, but just because you add a bunch of good ingredients, doesn't mean the broth will be any good, but if MF/LB produce an album for her, I'd be very surprised if it didn't do well.

Maybe the title was too blatant . You have this beautiful young lady or should I say girl and the first word associated with her career is Sex(to). Mylene is noted for her hidden meanings, yet with this she hits you smack in the face with it. Maybe it's a bad approach.

But all and all,the video just isn't appealing and I have to say she just doesn't have the charm of Alizee and you can't practice that, and you can't manufacture that.

Hopefully if this video isn't as successful as they thought it would be, they won't give up on her. I'm sure an album with this team will be a good one.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
After checking out SEXTO, which I like but don't see as standing out from thousands of other recordings by young women, I went back to "Ma Priére" to see if there was anything in it that predicted Alizée's great success. She's attractive, but not more than many other girls. She does have an outstanding voice, but so do many talent contestants. She made an excellent choice of music. She has a lot of self-confidence and an excellent stage presence. I like the little dance step she takes at the bottom of the stairs. And then there is something more: the X-factor. I have watched this video dozens of times and never grow tired of it. Having said all that, I would have been cautious in my prediction. She could become a big star--I would say--but I wouldn't guarantee it. And then came Myléne Farmer.
I have spent a lot of time over the years trying to figure out what the x-factor is with Alizee that keeps me engaged and just doesn't let up. There was a time when my attachment to a woman who I will probably never meet was really concerning to me, but now I don't care - it is what it is. Not giving her up.

Alizee to me seemed like the girl next door, and perhaps others see that as well. That familiarity could account for the instant attraction and the feeling that there is a sincerity in her that is unlike the others. Her smile helps too!

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Maybe the title was too blatant . You have this beautiful young lady or should I say girl and the first word associated with her career is Sex(to). Mylene is noted for her hidden meanings, yet with this she hits you smack in the face with it. Maybe it's a bad approach.
The video has a teenage fantasy message, more sensual than overtly sexual. Maybe too much or maybe not enough? Julia is still a minor and under control of her parents, so there is the chance that her parents had a say in what kind of video their daughter was going to participate in. What happens when she turns 18 is a different matter. MF might want her to go even further.

One thing I know for sure... Julia is not Alizee #2. She is very attractive and has a beautiful voice, but as you said, charm cannot be taught. You got it or you don't.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 09-28-2018 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts