Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 06-19-2010, 04:20 PM

MYGOGT is on a distinguished road
Default Spinning the discs

I just received my 3 speed turntable and now I am listening to the UEDs vinyls that came in the boxed set. I have to say that the sound clarity is truly amazing. No hiss/pop/scratchy sounds at all. Just pure and beautiful sound.
The limelight picture disc is just as clear.
And who said vinyl is dead?
Old 06-19-2010, 04:56 PM
>9K

AlizéeInspired is on a distinguished road

Nice. As for vinyl being dead, I have often heard that vinyl sound is actually better than CD and other digital sound.

Digital recording takes a lot of snapshots of the analog sound (natural sound). For a CD there are about 44,100 or so snapshots taken a minute. The snapshots are then converted into digital information with certain precision. For a CD recording this precision is 16 bits. Which means that every one of the 44,100 snapshots needs to be converted into one of the 65,536 possible values.

So the argument is that digital recording doesn't include all the sound information, where a record player is strictly analog and does. A vinyl record has a groove carved into it that mirrors the original sound's waveform. The record player then uses this groove to make an analog sound signal which can be fed into an amplifier. So, in this process, no information can be lost. No snapshots need to be taken and the sound doesn't need be converted to one of the possible 65,536 values. There is basically an infinite number of 'snapshots' and 'possible values'. Therefore, a vinyl recording generally sounds better than a CD recording.

But as technology advances, we are able to come closer to vinyl recordings as we are capable of a much larger number of possible snapshots in a minute.

Hope you enjoy your vinyl I wish I could have ordered one, but I don't have the money at the time for that and a turntable

Last edited by AlizéeInspired; 06-19-2010 at 04:59 PM..
Old 06-19-2010, 06:27 PM
i'm...PSYCHODELICIOUS.

Människöpesten is on a distinguished road

i've got....a lot of vinyl, and it dominates for sound quality.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:22 AM
Pronounced "I'm Rahj" ;)

ImRawdg is on a distinguished road

I got a turntable last month as well, though not for this. I mostly have been buying old prog rock albums and things that I see that I want. I now really wish I had the vinyls for the whole UEDS album. The picture disc is sitting at my post office right now, I got a notification in the mail. By the way, what is the rpm of the picture disc (and I guess the album vinyls too because I'm curious)?
Old 06-20-2010, 01:11 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeInspired View Post
Nice. As for vinyl being dead, I have often heard that vinyl sound is actually better than CD and other digital sound.

Digital recording takes a lot of snapshots of the analog sound (natural sound). For a CD there are about 44,100 or so snapshots taken a minute. The snapshots are then converted into digital information with certain precision. For a CD recording this precision is 16 bits. Which means that every one of the 44,100 snapshots needs to be converted into one of the 65,536 possible values.

So the argument is that digital recording doesn't include all the sound information, where a record player is strictly analog and does. A vinyl record has a groove carved into it that mirrors the original sound's waveform. The record player then uses this groove to make an analog sound signal which can be fed into an amplifier. So, in this process, no information can be lost. No snapshots need to be taken and the sound doesn't need be converted to one of the possible 65,536 values. There is basically an infinite number of 'snapshots' and 'possible values'. Therefore, a vinyl recording generally sounds better than a CD recording.

But as technology advances, we are able to come closer to vinyl recordings as we are capable of a much larger number of possible snapshots in a minute.

Hope you enjoy your vinyl I wish I could have ordered one, but I don't have the money at the time for that and a turntable

Good explanation!

I'll just note that it is 44,100 or so snapshots taken a second. Think of it as a measurement taken at the top and bottom of each wave of a 22 Kilohertz signal.

Last edited by Rev; 06-20-2010 at 01:13 AM..
Old 06-20-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRawdg View Post
I got a turntable last month as well, though not for this. I mostly have been buying old prog rock albums and things that I see that I want. I now really wish I had the vinyls for the whole UEDS album. The picture disc is sitting at my post office right now, I got a notification in the mail. By the way, what is the rpm of the picture disc (and I guess the album vinyls too because I'm curious)?
The rpm of the picture disc is 33. The UEDs vinyls are 45.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Pronounced "I'm Rahj" ;)

ImRawdg is on a distinguished road

Got it, played it, but for some reason it has a windy sound to it, thankfully it can only be heard in quiet moments, but none of my other records have this problem.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:12 PM

I finally opened my Psych vinyl album and played it last night. It is very rich in sound quality. It is the first time I listened to the whole Psych album non stop.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:45 PM
>9K

AlizéeInspired is on a distinguished road

Nice . Psychédélices FTW!

Just be careful when you're scratchin' to Décollage

Last edited by AlizéeInspired; 02-05-2011 at 07:15 PM..
Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

I know what you mean. My great uncle collects vinyl records and I've always thought it was a much better medium of sound.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée