Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 03-25-2010, 10:33 PM

CALJ35 is on a distinguished road

I'm not trying to be a critical a$$hole here. I am genuinely curious and really dismayed. Why would Alizee, whose eyes are so beautiful that France could consider them a national treasure, apply so much makeup to them that they can barely be seen and almost disguises who she is?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

I don't think it's necessarily her trying to disguise herself as it is her trying to become a persona related to the theme of the album. I doubt she wakes up and paints on that much make-up to go to the grocer, only for when she does work stuff.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Choosy moms choose Tchaikovsky

Tchaikovsky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALJ35 View Post
I'm not trying to be a critical a$$hole here. I am genuinely curious and really dismayed. Why would Alizee, whose eyes are so beautiful that France could consider them a national treasure, apply so much makeup to them that they can barely be seen and almost disguises who she is?
Are you implying that raccoons aren't beautiful?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Recline yourself

user472884 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchaikovsky View Post
Are you implying that raccoons aren't beautiful?
Unless they're named "Alizée, La plus belle du monde", then yes.

Edit:

Does anybody else feel as I do?

I'm not digging her new persona/image of somber darkness...

I mean, compare the chronological images of my signatures...

or hell, watch "Fifty Sixty" and "Les Collines" and you tell me.

Last edited by user472884; 03-25-2010 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 03-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

It's been said before, but I'll say it again: in the Les Collines video, Alizée was playing a role. She is not adopting a new look on a daily basis that involves heavy eye makeup, but in playing a role from the early 1960s, it was consistent to make herself up the way women did in the early '60s.

You have to accept that she is creating art, not just looking pretty for you guys. She's a performer, not your wife. That heavy makeup isn't what you're waking up next to in the morning or looking at across the dinner table, it's part of a performance and it fits the role she's performing. You need to look at it on those terms and accept it on those terms.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 03-26-2010, 12:12 AM
<Love that girl still!!! forever my coco

VVVACCPLPNLY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Actually, I like the way the black looks when her eyes are closed, all Egyptian-style! But when she is singing on the mic with her eyes somewhat closed, the black is a little much... But I also very much like her ponytail, the one where her bangs are swept sideways, not puffed out front. That made sense, right? Sorry, can't post pictures...
Old 03-26-2010, 12:33 AM

CALJ35 is on a distinguished road

DeepWaters said "You have to accept that she is creating art, not just looking pretty for you guys. She's a performer, not your wife. That heavy makeup isn't what you're waking up next to in the morning or looking at across the dinner table, it's part of a performance and it fits the role she's performing. You need to look at it on those terms and accept it on those terms."

I thought one of the rules of this site was not to state the obvious. I have watched numerous old movies which were set in the sixties and I don't recall fur coats and raccoon makeup being part of the fashions of that era. Your crystal ball or time machine must be giving you a different perspective.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:38 AM

Sir Wood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DeepWaters said "You have to accept that she is creating art, not just looking pretty for you guys. She's a performer, not your wife. That heavy makeup isn't what you're waking up next to in the morning or looking at across the dinner table, it's part of a performance and it fits the role she's performing. You need to look at it on those terms and accept it on those terms."

I thought one of the rules of this site was not to state the obvious. I have watched numerous old movies which were set in the sixties and I don't recall fur coats and raccoon makeup being part of the fashions of that era. Your crystal ball or time machine must be giving you a different perspective.
I just wanted to bring up the Edie Sedgwick thread started by Jess.
http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5475

Although not the Sixties but her 1972 role in, "Ciao! Manhattan"

Youpidoo! I'm "foamely" ecstatic... So if you're okey dokey... Let's do boogie-woogie...

Last edited by Sir Wood; 03-26-2010 at 12:47 AM..
Old 03-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I thought one of the rules of this site was not to state the obvious.
If that were true, lots of people would get banned. However, what I said wasn't obvious -- obviously. Because it seems to have been missed.

Quote:
I have watched numerous old movies which were set in the sixties and I don't recall fur coats and raccoon makeup being part of the fashions of that era.
EARLY '60s, I said. Or mid-60s. There's a huge cultural divide that runs through American history in about the middle of that decade. Edie Sedgwick (the main subject of UEDS) straddled that divide. Take a look at some of the images on this search page:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...ed=0CBoQsAQwAA

Note the eye makeup on Ms. Sedgwick in a lot of those photos.

I'm old enough myself to actually remember the '60s. So I know that prevailing fashion for women did include lots of makeup, until that idea was challenged by the hippies in about '67-'68, and the "natural look" was picked up on going into the '70s. Edie Sedgwick was never a hippie. Alizée is being true to the role she's chosen.

The Stairway To Nowhere (FREE): http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/8357
The Child of Paradox: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27019
The Golden Game: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/56716
Old 03-26-2010, 09:51 AM

Aron14 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalen View Post

Does anybody else feel as I do?

I'm not digging her new persona/image of somber darkness...

I mean, compare the chronological images of my signatures...

or hell, watch "Fifty Sixty" and "Les Collines" and you tell me.
It does me a great honor to be replying to the great Jalen for the first time.
But yes, I do agree with you. I would definitely not have expected such a big change in her style back at the end of '09, when I first discovered Alizée. I wonder what she would have thought of her current music back in 2000 or 2001. Even though Psychédélices was a big shift, she still kept her upbeat, sexy image. Well now we are hit with UEdS, and an image so profoundly altered I wondered if I was still seeing the same girl who had stolen my heart after my first watch of L'alizé back in November. I don't see why Edie was chosen as the subject of her new album (or why it needed to be a concept album at all) And I don't really dig her "dark" image either. Don't get me wrong, I still adore Lilly (it even feels strange to be calling her that now), still love to listen to UEdS, and I am still almost bursting with anticipation of meeting her on Monday.
I am still a new member, I hope my post is appropriate for this thread.

Tags
chronology, dates, events, misc., questions, timeline