Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée News

Old 02-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

@pepe, I am a traditionalist myself in many things related to music. I prefer a band comprised of at least a drummer, bass player, guitar player and keyboardist. And I think such a setup makes for a much better live show. All the electronic stuff is fine to me if it is used in addition to, not in place of, a real band.

I’ve had to make some “adjustments” in my way of thinking with what Alizée is doing now. I have always preferred the more “organic” side of her, even though her early music was often heavily sweetened by synths anyways.

I'm sure if it was up to me, this album would be produced a little bit differently. But the melodies sound really good to me and I feel very positive about the album. I prepared myself mentally for this a long time ago, and I find it's less electronic than I had expected.

@Vista, I agree. I think Alizée’s voice should be mixed more “up front”.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

I think you got the link wrong...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B00000DGXX/

Or well, at least that's what this album most reminds me of. Good thing I guess, it's a fantastic score.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Yeah, that is some good stuff, Ben. I have another album by Wendy Carlos that was all done in nontraditional tunings. It's almost too much to wrap your brain around.

And this leads me to state an exception to my previous post. I do like music like Vangelis, Tomita, Carlos, etc. I'm less fond of minimalist electronica. I just have always thought of Alizée as being more traditional and pop, and so therefore would be better served by a more traditional band setup, especially for live performances. But it looks like they have done a good job blending Alizée with this music. I am quite pleased so far.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

There's a sound during the second verse of Fifty-Sixty that always reminded me of Clockwork Orange. Which I guess makes sense given that this album is an extension of the theme of that song. The similarity hits me most during the new bit from Limelight that uses the teaser music. While the radio version of that track took awhile to grow on me, I think the album version may be a favorite.

Anyway, as much as I loved Psychédélices, I think an album like this right out the gate would have made a much cleaner break from the Mylene-era. Though at 36:26, it's very short!
Old 02-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Happy Happy! :)

Moi-aimes-Alizée is on a distinguished road

I love it, I was sceptic about it, limelight wasnt my fav. Les Collines was good but not really funny convincing. But now I am convinced. This album is one of her best and it's amazingly beautiful songs in it Love track 1,2,7,8,10 ! Amazing. Just amazing to see love it! Can't wait to hear the full versions I hope they will be as wonderful!

Edit:

Alizée sure has it all. So nice when she puts it into material! <3 http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B003...7197422&sr=8-2
I have been KIA and MIA so nice to hear a call from old days

Last edited by Moi-aimes-Alizée; 02-26-2010 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 02-26-2010, 06:41 PM

pepelepew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
@pepe, I am a traditionalist myself in many things related to music. I prefer a band comprised of at least a drummer, bass player, guitar player and keyboardist. And I think such a setup makes for a much better live show. All the electronic stuff is fine to me if it is used in addition to, not in place of, a real band.

I’ve had to make some “adjustments” in my way of thinking with what Alizée is doing now. I have always preferred the more “organic” side of her, even though her early music was often heavily sweetened by synths anyways.

I'm sure if it was up to me, this album would be produced a little bit differently. But the melodies sound really good to me and I feel very positive about the album. I prepared myself mentally for this a long time ago, and I find it's less electronic than I had expected.

@Vista, I agree. I think Alizée’s voice should be mixed more “up front”.
I am pretty much with you on all counts Lefty. I don't mind some electronic accompanyment, but dominated by it doesn't normally do it for me. I am an old fart oldschool so asside from personal preference I don't have a clue whether this album is a winner or not. I sense it may be by the comments I have seen by fans especially the enthused younger ones. They will be the ones that make or break this endeavor by Alizee. Because of your direct involvement as a musician I trust your instincts also Lefty. I wish she had picked you to produce and play on this album. That would be killer!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Life's a beach & then you dive

FanDeAliFee is on a distinguished road
Cool You never forget your first song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I think you got the link wrong...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B00000DGXX/

Or well, at least that's what this album most reminds me of. Good thing I guess, it's a fantastic score.
Ben,

Your post takes me way back to the mid-70s, when I lived in an undergrad dorm in metro Boston housing men assigned by lot to 8-bedroom suites which shared common plumbing.

One of my cohabitants liked almost nothing better than listening to the accelerated <i>William Tell Overture</i> from <i>A Clockwork Orange</i>, which score you cited. Not a drama major, but a triple-major in biology, chemistry and management, he nonetheless would re-enact the relevant scene from the film using a whole sheepskin splayed out on his bed as the target of his curious affections. Thankfully, he always kept his pants on - at least while his door was open. (I don't know about when it was closed!)

I say "almost nothing" because surely there was at least one thing he liked doing even better, which he practiced at least once weekly in front of the bathroom mirror - and probably lots more often just before important exams. This was the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e9CkhBb18E#t=0m54s", target="_TD">famous scene</a> which Robert DeNiro did in front of another mirror as "Travis Bickle" in the film <i>Taxi Driver</i>.

Curious if he ended up drinking bottles of <i>Woolite</i>, a few year ago I searched online. You will be relieved to know he is under medical supervision - he's a practicing plastic surgeon. IN NEW YORK CITY, BEN. I SAID IN NEW YORK! Are you REALLY SURE you need to have that mole removed? REALLY, REALLY SURE?

But probably the most memorable song from those times is <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Je_t'aime..._moi_non_plus"<i>Je t'aime... moi non plus</i></a> which another cohabitant played many, many times <i>every</i> single day. I found that quite curious because evidently, he was rather wealthy for that era, with his own tricked-out Pontiac Trans-Am the guys called "The Pimpmobile." A handsome foreigner, he often entertained all sorts of lovely young women in his room, albeit only one at a time. I can only imagine they lacked all talent for singing.

You know, as a result, I've heard Jane Birkin <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxYte5oWfQE" target="_JT">have an orgasm</a> more often than all the American girls I've known put together. One more strange thing - when a French woman I'm with has an orgasm, I get a curious urge to read an old quantum mechanics book. I guess I'm traumatized for life, huh?

By the way, is there a thread on songs which Alizée and Jérémy should cover?

Last edited by FanDeAliFee; 02-26-2010 at 09:43 PM..
Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Hooked on Alizée

Addict is on a distinguished road

It feels like just yesterday I was listening to clips like this of Psych. Time flies. I'm gonna be honest though, I didn't expect to like these as much as I do. They sound pretty great.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Mňau ^_^

Fèvier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
It certainly sounds like a well produced album, and there seem to be no boring filler songs. But no great Hit either. Nevertheless, i think i will love this album.

But it's too early to judge from these short snippets.
At least the big majority of the songs is in french, as i hoped.

La candida sounds cute, i think the mexicans will love it!
I know I do!!!
(not born in México, but I am Mexican so I guess that some what counts )

Old 02-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
There's a sound during the second verse of Fifty-Sixty that always reminded me of Clockwork Orange. Which I guess makes sense given that this album is an extension of the theme of that song. The similarity hits me most during the new bit from Limelight that uses the teaser music. While the radio version of that track took awhile to grow on me, I think the album version may be a favorite.

Anyway, as much as I loved Psychédélices, I think an album like this right out the gate would have made a much cleaner break from the Mylene-era. Though at 36:26, it's very short!
I loved Psych too, but I agree. An album like this would have been a cleaner break. And yes, it is short. I really don't understand this. I thought Psych was short too. You would think they would do over an hour's worth of songs and then throw out a few of the weakest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelepew View Post
I am pretty much with you on all counts Lefty. I don't mind some electronic accompanyment, but dominated by it doesn't normally do it for me. I am an old fart oldschool so asside from personal preference I don't have a clue whether this album is a winner or not. I sense it may be by the comments I have seen by fans especially the enthused younger ones. They will be the ones that make or break this endeavor by Alizee. Because of your direct involvement as a musician I trust your instincts also Lefty. I wish she had picked you to produce and play on this album. That would be killer!
That is very kind of you to say that and I appreciate it. But then you would just have a different group of people that don't like the results, and that group could be bigger. And finally, if Alizée were to ever become aware of my work and what I've done with her music, there's a reasonable chance that she wouldn't like it at all. And for some reason I've always felt she probably wouldn't like it.

As far as my instincts go, I have no ability to predict how this album will sell. I just feel from what I've heard that Alizée has done a very good job and deserves respect for that. My hats off to her team, also. We'll know more when we've heard the whole thing.

And finally, I can breathe a sigh of relief. I was hoping I would be able to like this album, and I think it's safe to say now that I do.

Last edited by lefty12357; 02-26-2010 at 08:17 PM..