Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Fan Art

Old 08-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Fan d'Alizée (pour toujour)

CFHollister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
...I think this is probably closer to what CFHollister was aiming for:

Better, I think, but still not quite "there" yet.
Wow! Of course it not exactly the way I imagined it, but only because you don't have telepathic abilities. Based on my description alone, that pretty awesome. Especially with the incorporation on the 'A' with the flame which is much better than how I imagined it, that is freakin' awesome! I think the torch might do well with a thin black outline and possibly (with very thin black line) some of the internal details (such as the ridged handle). Finally I'd be interested to see it on a more neutral background, possibly white or light grey.

Again, just to be clear, I'm not suggesting we use the symbol on the site or anything. Actually my dream application would be the back of leather jacket that has other Alizée details designed in.

Very cool! Thanks!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:03 PM
A-Team

edgar93 is on a distinguished road

That would look very nice on the back of a white shirt.

Where are the Golden Gods of LillyWear?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
Wow! Of course it not exactly the way I imagined it, but only because you don't have telepathic abilities. Based on my description alone, that pretty awesome. Especially with the incorporation on the 'A' with the flame which is much better than how I imagined it, that is freakin' awesome!
Cool, I'm glad you liked it! It's still not where I want it to be yet, but it's getting there.

Quote:
I think the torch might do well with a thin black outline and possibly (with very thin black line) some of the internal details (such as the ridged handle). Finally I'd be interested to see it on a more neutral background, possibly white or light grey.
Alright, here we go with takes 3A and 3B, then...one with the torch outlined, and one without:

Personally I like the abstractness of the torch without the outline. Outlining it just draws attention to the lack of detail in the rest of it, and I suspect adding more detail might just make it look cluttered and less iconic. (It would also be beyond my meager Photoshop abilities, so there's also that. )

I do think the handle grooves work well, though. Also outlined the flags so they'll show up better against a white background. The flame definitely needs work, I think, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Again, just to be clear, I'm not suggesting we use the symbol on the site or anything. Actually my dream application would be the back of leather jacket that has other Alizée details designed in.
Heh, that would be awesome!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:45 PM

Looking good. You're right about the outlining being a bit too stark, but I think there still needs to be some exterior definition, perhaps a grey which is enough to provide definition but not so dark as to catch the eye.

About the flame. I think it looks good. More detail in the flames would certainly make it more impressive, but might not be practical, especially if it were to be reproducible on clothing. One thing you can play with is the color of the 'A' itself which you now have in a kind of yellow-green. I'm not sure what would be best until you played with it some, but some ideas that come tp mind are: Red, taking the color of the 'A' from MCE but in the style of Psychédélices; Purple, color of the 'A' straight from Psychédélices and complimentary with the yellow in the flame.

One thing I just noticed that should be fixed one way or the other. The red of the French flag needs to be on the fly and the blue on the hoist. But in a logo that would make it look backwards. This might be an argument for reversing the positions of the flags (USA on left, France on right). I think the American flag would still be plenty recognizable in that position even with the canton more on the right side (due to being on the hoist).

You're doing an awesome job!
Old 08-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

Looking very cool, and we may actually have a use for this soon ().

Just a few comments:

-The flame looks huge now. Dunno how to shrink it and still fit the "A", but it seems very out of proportion with the torch as it is.

-I'd like the see the faces of flags larger, with shorter staffs. Maybe we could "stack" the site logo to make room, like I did here:

Old 08-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Right on. Here we go with takes 4 and 5, then:

I've changed the torch outline to match the grip, and it actually doesn't look too bad. I'm not sure how it'll reproduce, though. We may need to go with a starker contrast by necessity.

I've also reduced the size of the flame (and correspondingly, the "A") by about a third. It's gonna be exaggerated no matter what if we want to keep the "A" in there and have it be prominent, but hopefully this doesn't look as ridiculously out-of-proportion as before.

I've left the colour of the "A" alone for now, mainly because I like it--I chose the copper colour to keep it vaguely reminiscent of the Liberty torch (which is very nerdy of me, I know). This is honestly a super easy fix, so it's something we can dither with later, once we've got the rest of it sorted out.

The flag faces have been upsized (and then super-sized in the last one). Unless folks really strongly object to it, though, I'm going to claim artistic license and keep the French flag the way it is, even though the hoist is on the "wrong" side. Putting it the "right" way looked wrong, and reversing the flags and putting the US flag "right" looked even worse. The logo has also been "stacked" in the last one to make room, but I'm not sure I like it.

I also smoothed out the flame a little bit. It looks better, but I'm still not happy with it.

Getting closer, I think. Thoughts?

Ooo, also: how do we feel about the ball-toppers on the masts? Lose 'em, keep 'em, what?

Last edited by Ruroshen; 08-08-2009 at 12:50 AM..
Old 08-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Century Child

Ben is on a distinguished road

If you upsize the word "America" a bit, you can bring it up closer to "Alizée". That's what I did in my little logo, and I think it looks better that way.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Faded into Gray

TheBarrett is on a distinguished road

You know Ruro, just my cent but I think you should add a ball-topper on the other side of the poles as well. The cut off line effect really doesn't seem too, well you know, there's just something missing over there.

I'd ask for a little ripple-depth on the flags, but i'm not sure how that would turn out, so I guess it's all good no matter what.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:39 AM

Yeah, I can understand about the flag positions... in a 2D logo format like this I guess it might be more important to deliver on the eye's expectations for the flags to look "right" despite where the hoist is. One more tweak to the French flag would be to darken the red to match the stripes in the US flag; as it it looks slightly pink.

I like the bigger flags but not the supersized so much. On version 4 it looks like the whole thing could still be framed by a circle if you went that far; where the supersized flags push it out to the sides overall so that it would have to be framed by an ellipse.

I still prefer "Alizée America" in a single line. Stacked doesn't necessarily look bad, but "Alizée" looks smaller, but I think it might be an optical illusion. I know Ben mentioned even making "America" bigger, but I like to make sure that Alizée remains prominent.

I like the resized flame; looks good. I also like the outlining in grey, very much; it's a solid compromise. I understand about the color of the 'A'; it does blend rather well with the flame. I'm just concerned that it doesn't blend too well, such that at some distance that the 'A' isn't distinct enough to be seen clearly... Perhaps darkening it a little?

Last edited by CFHollister; 08-08-2009 at 01:58 AM..
Old 08-08-2009, 02:07 AM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
If you upsize the word "America" a bit, you can bring it up closer to "Alizée". That's what I did in my little logo, and I think it looks better that way.
Cool, thanks. I think I'm with CF in that I prefer the way it looks with "Alizée America" written side-by-side, but I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBarrett View Post
You know Ruro, just my cent but I think you should add a ball-topper on the other side of the poles as well. The cut off line effect really doesn't seem too, well you know, there's just something missing over there.
Yeah, I know what you're saying. For the first few takes, I went to the trouble of rounding off the masts, but I've gotten lazy with these last few. I dunno if I'll add another ball on the bottom--I'm not sure I like the look of them on the top, honestly--but I'll definitely throw something on down there to make them look "finished".

Quote:
I'd ask for a little ripple-depth on the flags, but i'm not sure how that would turn out, so I guess it's all good no matter what.
I don't know that my meager Photoshop skills are up to it, but I can try it and see how it works. Don't hold your breath, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFHollister View Post
One more tweak to the French flag would be to darken the red to match the stripes in the US flag; as it it looks slightly pink.
Hmm, hadn't considered that, but I see what you mean. I'll fix it on the next pass.

Quote:
I like the bigger flags but not the supersized so much. On version 4 it looks like the whole thing could still be framed by a circle if you went that far; where the supersized flags push it out to the sides overall so that it would have to be framed by an ellipse.
OK, that's one vote for the flag-size in version 4. I could go either way, myself. Anyone else have a vote before I start work on the next pass tomorrow?

Quote:
I like the resized flame; looks good. I also like the outlining in grey, very much; it's a solid compromise. I understand about the color of the 'A'; it does blend rather well with the flame. I'm just concerned that it doesn't blend too well, such that at some distance that the 'A' isn't distinct enough to be seen clearly... Perhaps darkening it a little?
Another really good point I hadn't even considered. I'll try a couple of different colour combinations on the next pass.

Thanks for all your input, guys. This is fun!