Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 04-25-2009, 05:31 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruroshen View Post
Alright, having figured out some logistics here, I'd like to present some options to the group. As I see it, there's four different ways we can structure this...
Well, if you could assume that everyone knows exactly what their rankings are for each song, it logically only requires 9 votes and which two you match up is irrelevant because each person would already know which one he prefers more.

So, for example, if ML beats LOT, then we give LOT a chance against G and LOT wins, then it goes against ML again. Why would anyone change their vote here? ML would win again. So, the problem would be if you would say that G is better than ML even though it's not better than LOT, but ML is better than LOT. That's very indecisive.

I'll just say that when playing football, for example, it does not work the same because each game played is different. The rankings are based on a competition not a predetermined vote. The songs never change. It's not like we have several performances of each song that we are comparing. Now, if she had performed each of her songs several times during concerts and whatnot, then it would be a bit more interesting. We do have performances and remixes, but only of certain songs.

If one compared a whole group of performances with different songs, one might even have a favorite performance and have them all ranked up, but in choosing which song is best one would have to choose performances of that song more often than any other. So, while a particular performance of JEAM might be your all time favorite, there could be more performances of JPVA that are better than some of the performances of JEAM and JPVA could come out as the ultimate winner. Again, I don't know if we really have enough Alizée performances to do a competition of that sort.

But anyway, I'm open to any style that the group decides on.

Merci Fanny
Old 04-25-2009, 12:44 PM
A-Team

edgar93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1) "Round Robin"-Style

2) "Playoff"-Style

"East".............."West"
..> A..................B<.
.........> X vs Y <.......
..> C...................D<.

3) [U]"Survivor"-Style
lol courtesy of our friends from spanish AF

the big game :

Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Ruroshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
Well, if you could assume that everyone knows exactly what their rankings are for each song, it logically only requires 9 votes and which two you match up is irrelevant because each person would already know which one he prefers more.
Not necessarily. I'd argue that while everybody knows which song is their favorite, probably knows which is their second-favorite, and might know which is their third-favorite...after that, it tends to get a little murky. The idea of matching up each song with every other song is that it really makes you quantify it. Sure, you probably know where ML stands in comparison to everything else... but AQRUJF (wow, what an awful acronym!) or MM?

That's where the real differences in opinion would come in, I think, and that's what would allow for some interesting movement in the backfield (i.e. the not-singles), and could even allow for an upset if a song like, say, V3 gets more "wins" against the competition than you'd expect.

Quote:
So, for example, if ML beats LOT, then we give LOT a chance against G and LOT wins, then it goes against ML again. Why would anyone change their vote here? ML would win again. So, the problem would be if you would say that G is better than ML even though it's not better than LOT, but ML is better than LOT. That's very indecisive.
Wait, I'm confused...why is LOT going up against ML a second time? There aren't any "rematches" in any of the three structures I proposed!

In the first example, every song "fights" every other song only once, and is ranked according to how many victory points it racks up over the course of the "season". (But it will literally take 45 votes for every song to face every other song only once!) In the second, we're eliminating songs bracket by bracket until we come to a final "East vs. West" showdown. And in the third, we're simply picking off songs one by one, round by round, until we come to the final two.

I'll admit I'm probably overthinking this, but at the same time I think it may actually be more straightforward than I'm leading you to believe. I might not be explaining myself very well...I'll draw up some examples.

Quote:
But anyway, I'm open to any style that the group decides on.
Yeah, same here. Again, if anybody has a better idea, I'm all ears.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Not necessarily. I'd argue that while everybody knows which song is their favorite, probably knows which is their second-favorite, and might know which is their third-favorite...after that, it tends to get a little murky. The idea of matching up each song with every other song is that it really makes you quantify it. Sure, you probably know where ML stands in comparison to everything else... but AQRUJF (wow, what an awful acronym!) or MM?

That's where the real differences in opinion would come in, I think, and that's what would allow for some interesting movement in the backfield (i.e. the not-singles), and could even allow for an upset if a song like, say, V3 gets more "wins" against the competition than you'd expect.

Wait, I'm confused...why is LOT going up against ML a second time? There aren't any "rematches" in any of the three structures I proposed!

In the first example, every song "fights" every other song only once, and is ranked according to how many victory points it racks up over the course of the "season". (But it will literally take 45 votes for every song to face every other song only once!) In the second, we're eliminating songs bracket by bracket until we come to a final "East vs. West" showdown. And in the third, we're simply picking off songs one by one, round by round, until we come to the final two.

I'll admit I'm probably overthinking this, but at the same time I think it may actually be more straightforward than I'm leading you to believe. I might not be explaining myself very well...I'll draw up some examples.

Yeah, same here. Again, if anybody has a better idea, I'm all ears.
LOL Uh, yeah, what you said.

Merci Fanny
Old 04-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Deceased

JimmyDean23 is on a distinguished road

Well, damn. I finally get to use a mic on one of these chat parties and I can't make it. I have to go to some stupid basketball banquet and then a graduation party. Oh the irony. This is the first one I have had to miss, but I wont miss the next one.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDean23 View Post
Well, damn. I finally get to use a mic on one of these chat parties and I can't make it. I have to go to some stupid basketball banquet and then a graduation party. Oh the irony. This is the first one I have had to miss, but I wont miss the next one.
Heh, that's ironic. It's too bad you're going to miss it. I think this one's gonna be pretty spirited!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Hello, Lilly Town people

OK, I normally try to avoid double-posting, but it's been a few days, and I'm purposely trying to bump this as a reminder for everybody, sooooooo...

After much cursing and gnashing of teeth, I've finally figured out how this is gonna work.
  • • Every song faces every other song, over the course of eleven rounds
  • • The first round has five face-offs, the rest all have four. Every song sits out two rounds.
  • • A song earns 3 points for a win, 1 point for a loss. Ties are broken by the chatroom.
  • • The song with the greatest number of points at the end of all this nonsense will be declared KING OF THE RING!

Here's how the match-ups break down round-by-round, according to the handy-dandy Excel worksheet I'm going to be using to keep track during the actual chat party:

(Yes, I know the colours are awful. Deal with it. )

I've got it set up to total things as we go, so I can give round-by-round updates as we go along:

(You can download the workbook here, in case you want to follow along at home. Any values you plug into the boxes on Page 1 will automatically fill in on the totals chart on Page 2.)

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions, guys! Otherwise I'll see you all there tomorrow!
Old 05-02-2009, 07:41 PM

LOL This is hilarious! wow good job, mad skills! Alrighty then. I will continue to listen to those today and try to get my rankings together.

Merci Fanny
Old 05-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Im a 100% Sone

Srbski-kralj is on a distinguished road

ok awesome man, defenetly Im there lol, man some are tought choices to make
Old 05-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Sunglasses wearing bloke

Chommpers is on a distinguished road

Will try and make it as well, should be able to since my Sunday is free, as long as the folks or my friends don't plan anything. I will give the album a good listen tonight and try to rank them I suppose, I know nothing about music though; just that I like the way it sounds, hope I don't come off as stupid lol.

^ By the beautifully creative Amelie! Merci!

Tags
aam chat party, gourmandises, podcast, thunderdome