Old 06-25-2010, 12:35 AM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road
Default Mes Fantômes

Please discuss:
1)What this song means to you.
2)How do you feel about this song.
3)What you like/don't like, and why.
4)How good it is from a musical standpoint.
__________________________________________________ _______________
Please refrain from using one-line comments (ex. "I Agree" "It's Awesome").
__________________________________________________ _______________

1)Mes Fantomes makes me cry and gives me the most ecstatic feeling one can ever feel. It is like a drug to me. I just feel like crying out of joy when listening to this song.

2)This is indeed a powerful song and it really shows me that Alizee is indeed not perfect. Although Alizee didn't write this song, I think we know and she knows that this is about some mistakes she has made and that she feels bad about making them. But we don't know what mistakes it refers to since only she knows what it means to her.

3)I love how this song is created by the amazing musical talent her musicians have, and how they fit it to her voice. Her voice and the instruments are like 2 peas in a pod. I hate listening to one part it because of a note that wasn't held out by the synthesizer which is explained here: http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5645

4) Music-wise I believe this is one of her best since the split from MF. It is simple and elegant, and the synthesizer just brings out the beauty in her voice. And the faint electric guitar in the background brings it home for me.....

Last edited by User22; 01-03-2011 at 12:57 AM..
Old 06-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Pronounced "I'm Rahj" ;)

ImRawdg is on a distinguished road

1) I've never really been much of a lyrics person. But I do have curiosity about the general message of any song. Most lyrics in genres I like have lyrics I look at and just go "...what?" and this is no exception.

2) If it stirs anybody's emotions, that's good. I think I would appreciate this song more if I identified with the lyrics, because words are obviously important with this kind of mood.

3 and 4) I have never liked the percussion on this album. This song's synths are too buzzy/sharp/cutting, again referring to its mood. Maybe it's just a grudge I have with the electronic genre. To each his own, though. On paper, however, the music works

^^Keep in mind that anything I don't criticize is generally good enough or better. I'm just a negative nancy and you all just have to accept that
Old 06-25-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRawdg View Post
3 and 4) I have never liked the percussion on this album. This song's synths are too buzzy/sharp/cutting, again referring to its mood. Maybe it's just a grudge I have with the electronic genre. To each his own, though. On paper, however, the music works
I have to say you do have a point. When I saw IncliningPizza's version of it, I noticed how great of a song it was in just plain ole piano. It is definitely a great song on paper They just needed to add a little something to the song(like a drum beat or something).
Old 06-25-2010, 11:42 AM

babyblue558 is on a distinguished road

1) It's becoming by my favourite song on UEDS (along with Eden, Eden), probably because (imo) its the most mature song Alizée's ever sung. It's a perfect ending to the album and completes her evolution from girl into woman. However, it's not unrecognisable from her early stuff, it still has some of the feelings of vulnerability we got from songs like Parler Tout Bas, but overall it feels far more grown-up and sophisticated than songs from her teenage albums.

2) It doesn't make me feel particularly sad, but I find that it's one of those songs I can listen to at the end of a stressful day and just relax and forget about everything. It's sort of contemplative and dreamy feeling.

3 and 4) I think that this song has the best vocal from Alizée of the album, and coupled with a beautifully haunting melody I'm beginning to think that it's one of the all-time greatest Alizée songs. It perfectly shows off her vocal range, switching between moody lows and perfectly-pitched high notes (the way she sings 'ma prière' near the end of the song is just ). I also love the echo-effect that's going on throughout the song, to which it owes its sorta ghostly, haunting side. My only criticism would be that the electro-instruments used don't make full use of the the quality of the composition. It's such a beautiful melody, but (aside from the vocals) the instruments don't really do it justice. I'd love to hear an acoustic version of the song, which would hopefully remedy this.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:53 PM
>9K

AlizéeInspired is on a distinguished road

1. A very beautiful and spiritual song. It brings that sadness and yet it also brings something else. Hard to explain. Before knowing the lyrics I still got similar, if not the same, feelings when listening to this song. There is that sense of just an ending. Looking back on everything, some things with regret and other things that one must move on from. A perfect end to this album.

2. It has that slightest sense of sadness to it but it also brings a spiritual punch or something I can't explain. Like babyblue said, kind of a dreamy feeling. Very relaxing. Calming.

3. Well, I seem to like everything in this song. The slight whispering echo behind her wonderful voice, I love the music and the beat, everything really. But thats just me, I really enjoy electronic music and such. I really love her voice in this song. The low range and notes she sings are just wonderful and mesmerizing.

4. From a musical standpoint, of course I just think the song is wonderful. Nearly all her songs, well a lot of them, are at least 3 minutes long and I love that. This song falls into that 3 minute plus range. Too many songs these days are just short when I want more. So I appreciate the length. And as I said before, of course the music is great and her voice is just amazing, but the lyrics are also something to be looked at. As I don't speak French (yet ), after the first few times listening to any of her songs I look up the translated lyrics. And after knowing the lyrics to this song I liked it no less. If anything, I liked it more. The lyrics, along with the mood of the music, make it a perfect end to this album. Even though in more of a poetical rambling list, something I typically don't like, it works for this song and I really enjoy it. The song is also so very different than her other work and older stuff, but I really like it. Definately one of her more mature songs. Very powerful. Very beautiful.

Last edited by AlizéeInspired; 06-25-2010 at 12:56 PM..
Old 06-25-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlizéeInspired View Post
1. A very beautiful and spiritual song. It brings that sadness and yet it also brings something else. Hard to explain. Before knowing the lyrics I still got similar, if not the same, feelings when listening to this song. There is that sense of just an ending. Looking back on everything, some things with regret and other things that one must move on from. A perfect end to this album.
I just read the lyrics, and yes this is a very spiritual song. I think it is an ending just like you said. It is like she is done with everything evil and is confessing what she has done and regretting a lot of things. I guess Alizée can relate to this in someway, especially since it is sort of like a Parler Tout Bas kind of song.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronius31 View Post
I just read the lyrics, and yes this is a very spiritual song. I think it is an ending just like you said. It is like she is done with everything evil and is confessing what she has done and regretting a lot of things. I guess Alizée can relate to this in someway, especially since it is sort of like a Parler Tout Bas kind of song.
It's definitely a very personal song for her, making it pretty unique in the context of the album. Also I think that both Mes Fantômes and PTB signal significant changes in Alizée as a person. I've always seen PTB as the song where the young girl says goodbye and allows the teenage Alizée to come in for the next album. I think Mes Fantômes has a similar tone and feeling to PTB, and I imagine that it introduces the mature, adult Alizée of the future.

Last edited by babyblue558; 06-25-2010 at 03:14 PM..
Old 06-25-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue558 View Post
It's definitely a very personal song for her, making it pretty unique in the context of the album. Also I think that both Mes Fantômes and PTB signal significant changes in Alizée as a person. I've always seen PTB as the song where the young girl says goodbye and allows the teenage Alizée to come in for the next album. I think Mes Fantômes has a similar tone and feeling to PTB, and I imagine that it introduces the mature, adult Alizée of the future.
I couldn't have said it better.

Alizée's life through her songs:

Young Girl -----> Young Woman ------> Mature Woman
_____Parler Tout Bas________Mes Fantomes_________
Old 06-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronius31 View Post
I couldn't have said it better.

Alizée's life through her songs:

Young Girl -----> Young Woman ------> Mature Woman
_____Parler Tout Bas________Mes Fantomes_________
That's a great way of representing it! We're definitely on the same wavelength LOL. I don't know what it is about those two songs, but they both seem to have a sense of finality and appear to be signalling the end of an era. They're both fast becoming my favourite songs of each of the albums they're from too.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Alizée Always And Forever

RobandSandy is on a distinguished road

After reading Edie Sedgwicks article, and after listening to this song while reading the english translation I took on a whole new respect for this song. Anyone can relate to stuggling with ones own dark side. I know I have for one. And this song has made me tear up too and I did not know why. A very deep spiritual look into the soul. But at the same time the lyrics are married to a fairly upbeat melodic song. Brilliant. Alizée probably does relate the maturation process at some level to this song. It may be a childhoods end song. Other artists have written songs titled Childhoods End also in the past. Namely Pink Floyd wrote a song by that title.

Tags
discussion, mes fantomes, song, ueds