Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Other Subjects > Support

Old 10-09-2007, 12:08 PM

fsquared is on a distinguished road

You're on XP, right WyomingGrizFan?
Once you set up multiple languages, you shouldn't have to reboot to switch. In fact, you should be able to put a "Language Bar" on your toolbar, which has a little box with 2-letter codes for each language that you have installed, and it will default to "EN", and then you can click on it and select whatever language you want. This is done on a window-by-window basis (and is sometimes a little bit flakey but if you have the window you want to change on top, then you select the language, then it changes for just that window).

Now, one big help for figuring out where the keys are is the "On-Screen Keyboard" under Start Menu->Accessories->Accessibility. It pops up and tells you exactly what each key does. Note that it takes on the language of whatever window is in focus, so you need to focus on a different window, change the language there, and then click on the On-Screen Keyboard.

BTW there's no backwards "s" in Cyrillic, but there is something that looks like a backwards "R" and it is pronounced "ya".
Old 10-09-2007, 09:13 PM

WyomingGrizFan is on a distinguished road

I think I am on, what you say, 'XP.' At least, the 'Microsoft Windows 'XP' Professional,' if I am reading that correctly. I've never had any scholastic training per se upon any of this so most, if not all, is a lot of trial by error. I did have a fellow worker helping me out, taking photos and making an avatar, etc., who worked over in Moscow back in the nineties as an engineer when the American Embassy was found to have been 'bugged' somewhat, but he transferred to Arizona. And you're right, at first I thought it required a reboot, but now I know all I have to do is shut down then log on again when I change to a different language; like in what I've being doing with the Turkish, Ukrainian and the Russian.

I am going to have to look for that "On-screen Keyboard" since you mentioned it. Up to now what I've done is scour google for a format and printed a copy, which works well enough, but added info helps, especially if I ever find myself on a computer without a printer. Also have noticed that the Bulgarian alphabet is very similar to the Ukrainian/Russian, though there are some subtle differences; an 'i' in the Ukrainian but not in the Russian, etc. I have a couple textbooks that I have been studying, both in the Turkish and the Ukrainian; the hand written Ukrainian is another story as well, compared to the block sans-serif as such. I don't know if I'll ever visit that region but I wouldn't mind a couple weeks of attending some rock concerts in Istanbul; they have some excellent musicians and singers.

Last edited by WyomingGrizFan; 10-09-2007 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: corrections...
Old 10-10-2007, 01:33 AM

Yeah, you're on XP. Here's a Microsoft link.
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/h...tlsupp.mspx#E4
About 2/3 of the way down, it talks about the language bar and how to switch languages. You don't even have to log out; you just have to select a different language (on a per-window basis).
The On-Screen Keyboard should be installed by default in the location that I indicated in my previous message.
Yes, the various incarnations of Cyrillic have been tweaked for the different languages. And yes, handwritten Cyrillic is another thing to get used to (I find the "t"s particularly difficult because they look just like "m"s).

Turkish music is indeed very interesting. I've spent a lot of time listening to Bulgarian pop-folk, a lot of which is derived from Turkish music.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:32 AM

`1234567890-=
~!@#$%^&*()_+

;ςερτυθιοπ[]\
:΅ΕΡΤΥΘΙΟΠ{}|

ασδφγηξκλ΄'
ΑΣΔΦΓΗΞΚΛ¨"

ζχψωβνμ,./
ΖΧΨΩΒΝΜ<>?

That helps a lot, 'fsquared.' I tried it with the Greek alphabet for a change, somewhat familiar with it alphabetically though not too much on the vocabulary, but I still find I have to 'log off' in order to implement the 'language bar.' Interestingly, the Greek keyboard had an 'EL' on the systems tray.

With the information & links you've given me I shouldn't have too much trouble switching keyboards. It's the learning the languages that'll take a little bit more time I think.

I noticed also, like in the Ukrainian, their letter in Cyrillic that in transcription is a 'd' is in the cursive as a 'g' (like your 't' to an 'm'). Learning the block letters, actually, the non-sans-serif, I guess, is one thing, but the handwritten threw me at first. On my first CDs by Ani Lorak I thought they were misprints. Now I know better.

Thanks again.

Last edited by CFHollister; 10-13-2007 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: merged
Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingGrizFan View Post
That helps a lot, 'fsquared.' I tried it with the Greek alphabet for a change, somewhat familiar with it alphabetically though not too much on the vocabulary, but I still find I have to 'log off' in order to implement the 'language bar.' Interestingly, the Greek keyboard had an 'EL' on the systems tray.

With the information & links you've given me I shouldn't have too much trouble switching keyboards. It's the learning the languages that'll take a little bit more time I think.

I noticed also, like in the Ukrainian, their letter in Cyrillic that in transcription is a 'd' is in the cursive as a 'g' (like your 't' to an 'm'). Learning the block letters, actually, the non-sans-serif, I guess, is one thing, but the handwritten threw me at first. On my first CDs by Ani Lorak I thought they were misprints. Now I know better.

Thanks again.
You really shouldn't have to log out to use the little language toolbar. When you click on it, it should give you choices (English, Turkish, etc.) and you should be able to select on and change the language right there. You have to have a window open and up front when doing that, and it changes the language for just that window (e.g., your browser, or Word, or etc.)

I presume "EL" is for something like "Ellenika" (the Greek word for Greek).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_language

Yeah, that d-g one is a little tricky too...I guess it's because we're so programmed with English cursive that it's hard to break out. Also the Cyrillic cursive "t" and the "sh" are so close that people have to draw a line below for "sh" and above for "t" to tell them apart.

Last edited by fsquared; 10-10-2007 at 11:15 AM..
Old 10-12-2007, 08:20 AM

marik is on a distinguished road

well Wyoming GrizFan and fsquared! your knowledge is good for Computers! thanks to all of this info's!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:21 PM

Well, if any of it is useful for your future endeavors, all well and good. I've learned quite a lot the last couple weeks myself.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Well, if any of it is useful for your future endeavors, all well and good. I've learned quite a lot the last couple weeks myself.
well your knowledge in Computers shortcut keys is preety awesome! so i am verythankfull to you!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Alizée Fan For Life

SilentFox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well if i need any help with new alt keys il go to you first
Old 10-17-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentFox View Post
Well if i need any help with new alt keys il go to you first
well me too as you said:P