Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-04-2021, 09:36 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverCowboy View Post
Sometime last year I located the name of her agent but cannot remember where I saw it. Anyway, it was pretty recent and he has done a great job getting her out there.
Thomas Dumont is her agent. Of course he has other clients, but if you scroll through his Instagram and keep an eye on his story, he posts about Alizee whenever there is a promotion going on.

https://www.instagram.com/thomasdumontvip/
Old 11-07-2021, 02:00 PM

Elise is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Is Alizee's popularity experiencing a resurgence? If so, what would you attribute that to.
It’s just my depressing opinion but I think you guys are over-estimating things. To me, any effect of the pandemic should apply to other artists as well and Hello Fresh is a common sponsor in content creators on YouTube for instance. I say this as someone who first heard of Alizée only a few months ago and joined this forum to talk about her, still captivated.

From all I’ve read, Alizée was popular 20 years ago when Moi Lolita came out, no more recently than that. I was a bit discouraged to learn this but it’s what I think. Is she not a one hit wonder? I still like her dance videos and she’s obviously so beautiful, I would just say her popularity in France didn’t last more than about 3 years at most.

Quote:
If not what do you think accounts for Alize America's burst of new members [on Facebook]?
Yeah, I don’t know as I don’t use Facebook but it would be interesting to see a table of number of new members by month.
Old 11-07-2021, 04:43 PM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise View Post
From all I’ve read, Alizée was popular 20 years ago when Moi Lolita came out, no more recently than that. I was a bit discouraged to learn this but it’s what I think. Is she not a one hit wonder? I still like her dance videos and she’s obviously so beautiful, I would just say her popularity in France didn’t last more than about 3 years at most.
Exactly.

In essence, the post-2003 Alizee is a less interesting person than the Alizee of 2000-2003.

The post-2003 Alizee is less interesting even to us. (Look at the tribute videos, and you'll see a very heavy focus on the 2000-2003 Alizee. Look at the photos and discussion on the AA forum, and you'll see a heavy focus on the 2000-2003 Alizee. Look at the photos that Alizee signed in front of Scruffy in 2019, and all but one of them was the 2000-2003 Alizee. Etc.)

The people who are joining the Facebook group are joining because they are interested in the 2000-2003 Alizee. They're not particularly interested in the 2021 Alizee.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:33 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben.Daly View Post
Thomas Dumont is her agent.
Yes, thank you Ben.Daly!

The name rang a bell once I read it. My memory is not the same as it used to be.

Edit:

Quote:
From what I have read, France does not have a good track record of supporting their home grown artists for very long, unless your name happens to be Mylene. This especially holds true for female artists. This apparently is such a problem that the French government mandates that French radio stations play French artists 30% (I believe this is the correct figure) of the time.

A female artist named Louane is currently experiencing the same track as Alizee did. A big first album (2x Diamond with 1.8 million copies sold in France), followed by a still big but not as much second album (3x Platinum, selling 400K in France), then a Gold third album in 2020 (only 50K sold in France).

Then there are other factors in Alizee losing favor among the French after her second album: she grew up, leaving her Lolita image behind; the split with Mylene, which was considered traitorous to many; her getting married, which took her "off the market" and crushing many a young man's dreams; her hiatus and lack of contact with her fans ("out of sight, out of mind" applies here).

Even so, there still was a sizable remnant of French fans that have stayed true to Alizee throughout the years. Since twenty years have passed and Alizee has remained visible, I believe then trend will continue to go in her favor.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post
The people who are joining the Facebook group are joining because they are interested in the 2000-2003 Alizee. They're not particularly interested in the 2021 Alizee.
Then you have the people like me. Interested in the 2000 Alizee, the 2021 Alizee and every year in between.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 11-08-2021 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 11-09-2021, 05:21 AM

Then I was confused about popularity. It is not a bad thing, I am just trying to be realistic. With or without quotas, I think most artists including English ones have careers that last 5 years or so, those that last longer are the exception. Even iconic Mylène with the people who do like her songs is no longer as mainstream.

Yes I know Louane, I listen almost exclusively to French music (way superior music). More popular these days is to listen to rappers like JuL, Damso, OrelSan, Nekfeu, MHD, maybe Niska.
Old 11-09-2021, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Then I was confused about popularity. It is not a bad thing, I am just trying to be realistic. With or without quotas, I think most artists including English ones have careers that last 5 years or so, those that last longer are the exception. Even iconic Mylène with the people who do like her songs is no longer as mainstream.

Yes I know Louane, I listen almost exclusively to French music (way superior music). More popular these days is to listen to rappers like JuL, Damso, OrelSan, Nekfeu, MHD, maybe Niska.
I'm curious as to where Mylene's career will go. You are correct in that Mylene is no longer mainstream. Her album sales took a real plunge after the 1999 album and never recovered. She can still pack the largest concert venues and I think as long as she can still perform, she will continue to draw large audiences.

There will always be a market for music that is pre-mainstream. A lot of people don't like rap. At least in the US, some of the old rock bands from the 70's and 80's figured it out and came out of retirement and tour to sing their old songs. Two or three tour together and sell out shows.

Alizee still might become a national icon of France but only time will tell. Her songs, even though no longer mainstream, might become timeless like these other artists are discovering.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:45 AM

Mr Coucou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Since you're very familiar with French music, how do you explain Mylene's success and popularity? It seems that no other female singer in France is nearly as successful as Mylene. Is there a simple explanation for this? How does Mylene do it? Why are other French singers unable to come anywhere close to the success that Mylene has achieved?
Old 11-11-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Alizee still might become a national icon of France but only time will tell. Her songs, even though no longer mainstream, might become timeless like these other artists are discovering.
After over two decades since her only real hit, I’d say Alizée has been largely forgotten. It’s somewhat a shame but still more than many/most artists get to in terms of lasting career length and it doesn’t stop me from enjoying her videos.

Quote:
Her album sales took a real plunge after the 1999 album and never recovered. She can still pack the largest concert venues and I think as long as she can still perform, she will continue to draw large audiences.

There will always be a market for music that is pre-mainstream. A lot of people don't like rap.
Quote:
Since you're very familiar with French music, how do you explain Mylene's success and popularity? It seems that no other female singer in France is nearly as successful as Mylene. Is there a simple explanation for this? How does Mylene do it? Why are other French singers unable to come anywhere close to the success that Mylene has achieved?
On Mylène, yes she still has a fanbase. She has a unique style. She managed her stage presence, marketed her image, writes creative, dark and depressing lyrics with literary influences and is gay icon.

Ahah there’s loads to discover. There are so many genres and hundreds of talented artists. At first it doesn’t sound the same but then you spend a few days listening only to French music and you soon come to enjoy it. Though yes Mylène’s first number one hit was in 1988 and still today people follow her like a cult - to stay like that is quite unique.

And oh yes I am one of those who doesn’t like rap that much.

Last edited by Elise; 11-12-2021 at 07:55 AM..
Old 11-12-2021, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
After over two decades since her only real hit, I’d say Alizée has been largely forgotten. It’s somewhat a shame but still more than many/most artists get to in terms of lasting career length and it doesn’t stop me from enjoying her videos.
I have posted this before, which is as long as the library of Alizee videos and pictures survive and can be accessed by the public, there will continue to be people "discovering" Alizee and falling in love with her long after she is gone. Many of the most beloved actors and actresses of Hollywood have passed away a long time ago, but continue to be very popular.

The "Lili Bug" is a real phenomenon and is unique to her.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:24 PM
Crazy Alizée fan 💘

AlizéeSuperFanFIN is on a distinguished road
Talking ä

I pretty much "disagree" on this, I think Alizée is "at the top of her career", thanks to Youtube!

I don’t think anyone other than maybe at most some Asian celebrity [because there are a lot of people] can do the same...

Well over a billion views and listenings, although Alizée's career "in principle and in practice" lasted only about four years and already 20 years ago.

Almost all of the big popular names have decades-long careers and and a great marketing machinery or they have been forgotten...

Sure... Alizée herself doesn't get much benefit from her current popularity, but I think that popularity is even historically unique.

And it would be much bigger if everyone even knew her!

After all, many of us here have only known her for a moment, and more than half the world has still not even heard of her!

Alizée 💜