Go Back   Alizée America Forum > Alizée > Alizée Discussion

Old 11-23-2012, 06:19 AM
Mélodie de vie, c'est l'odyssée!

Marka is on a distinguished road
Default A sad possibility: going nuts about Alizée 60 years after she ends her career

I thought about this today... Let's imagine that Alizée makes 5th (and hopefully 6th or even 7th) album, but then decides to stop... and after some time, we all more or less forget about her.

Now lets imagine that after some 60 or so years somebody remembers her and once again goes nuts about her... just, there is no youtube or anything of that kind, there is no Alizée stuff left to be found on the internet anymore (perhaps there is no more internet as we know it as humankind is in a horrific state, or perhaps no one bothered to transfer Lili's content to new services), except for perhaps some remarks in old wikipedia articles and some other stuff scattered throughout the basements of her ex-fans, most of them already dead...

What would you do, if you were this person?

Edit:

About myself, I think that my experience of it would be kind of similar to my experience prior to last year... you only remember certain bits and pieces (and something that I`ve come to call "Boutonnat`s harmony), but nothing in particular... the state of being left with distant memories of something that you cannot experience anymore...

I think that if my health would allow me to do such things (at the age 80+), I would embark on perhaps the last voyage of my life... and travel to Corsica and try to find out what happened to her. After all, I was struck by Alizée-ish music at the age of 10... Moi-Lolita was a trigger of something Alizée-ish (and Boutonnat-ish) deep within me and that would have been the perfect conclusion for my life.

Yes, I know, I am nuts, deviant, everything, thinking about such distant future and death at my age, but that is who I am, and there is nothing wrong with it. Perhaps such thinking does not cause one to be Alizée-ish, but being Alizée-ish certanly makes me think about such matters in a beautiful and child-like way.

Sorry, I do not know how to really express myself, but try to imagine hearing this after 60 years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Si0mfPKhoH8

Last edited by Marka; 11-23-2012 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts
Old 11-23-2012, 07:25 AM

BrianO1 is on a distinguished road

I have thought about this same thing myself.

I would assume that it would be much the same as someone who discovers say, The Beatles today. It would be a sweet and sour kind of thing. On one hand, you find an amazing artist who moves you, but on the other, they may no longer be creating new stuff, or even alive.

I myself and many others here, have had a sort of experience like this already. We find out about Lili now, and look back at all we have missed, and there is a sense of sadness there. Sure, Lili is doing a lot these days to keep in touch, like her twitter and Instagram, but to be a fan back in the days where so many knew her, and loved her....it's something I often wonder what it would have felt like. So many interviews and performances...we get super happy over a few photos every week...imagine being around when she was PERFORMING multiple times a week.

That's why I consider myself so lucky to have found her when I did. Yes, I missed out on the early years, but at least I have been here during her active years. 10 plus years from now, someone my age may discover her, only to see that she has retired and moved to the country with her husband BrianO1 (I can dream), and would be so disappointed.

At least we can say we were part of all of it. Some have been here longer the others, but we are ALL part of the Alizée story. When that story does come to a close, it will still be kept alive in all of us.

I myself honestly look forward to the day when I'm 80 somthin years old, and my grandchild, after digging through all of my old stuff looking for some cool "antiques" comes to me with a piece of Lili memorabilia and asks "grandpa, who is this?" And I am able to sit them down and reply...

"Let me tell you the story of "l'ange de la Corse".

Ok I'm rambling......I need sleep!

Last edited by BrianO1; 11-23-2012 at 07:44 AM..
Old 11-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianO1 View Post
I myself honestly look forward to the day when I'm 80 somthin years old, and my grandchild, after digging through all of my old stuff looking for some cool "antiques" comes to me with a piece of Lili memorabilia and asks "grandpa, who is this?" And I am able to sit them down and reply "Let me tell you the story of "l'ange de la Corse".

Ok I'm rambling......I need sleep!
Great rambling there! I am not totally sure I want to have kids, but I might just change my mind, just for the sake of telling my grandchildren about her...
Old 11-23-2012, 08:34 AM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road

I think I already had that type of experience.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
I think I already had that type of experience.
Huh? Would you care to explain?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 AM
Dream always and all ways.

Azhiri is on a distinguished road

THIS IS ALL MY OPINION GUIZE DON'T GET MAD OR OFFENDED PLZ

I think there will be traces of Alizee on the internet forever, but then again, a lot of things can change in 60 years.

That being said, 60 years from now the majority of us will be in the 80-90-ish region (76 in my case, I'm gonna outlive all you guys). I think in the context of all the things one encounters over the course of their lives, the humbling experiences, and the perspective gained about what "really matters" in life... to have that infatuation take over again would be a bit unlikely. I would think that during that 60 years, we would all have found the love of our life (and if not, we've thought we did), had children, if we're so inclined, seen a lot of things and known a lot of people. After that entire journey, a french singer from 60 years ago would just feel like a distant dream. She would be a speck of time in your life during which you fell in love and obsessed over that love, then outgrew it as the years stretched on. Hopefully nobody gets offended when I say this, I understand that a lot of us here feel that Alizee changed or even saved our lives, and indeed she did in some cases - perhaps those people will always remember her. The rest of us who were or are just sort of infatuated with her, those are the ones I'm referring to when I say all this. We all move on, even if we like to think that we'll carry certain things or weights on our hearts forever.

I also rambled a lot :X

TL;DR I think by the time we've reached the ripe old age of -your age here +60-, other stuff will matter too much for us to bother obsessing over one person anymore.

"In any case, being sexy includes being natural. Anything can be sexy, except vulgarity." - Alizée
Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
THIS IS ALL MY OPINION GUIZE DON'T GET MAD OR OFFENDED PLZ

I think there will be traces of Alizee on the internet forever, but then again, a lot of things can change in 60 years.

That being said, 60 years from now the majority of us will be in the 80-90-ish region (76 in my case, I'm gonna outlive all you guys). I think in the context of all the things one encounters over the course of their lives, the humbling experiences, and the perspective gained about what "really matters" in life... to have that infatuation take over again would be a bit unlikely. I would think that during that 60 years, we would all have found the love of our life (and if not, we've thought we did), had children, if we're so inclined, seen a lot of things and known a lot of people. After that entire journey, a french singer from 60 years ago would just feel like a distant dream. She would be a speck of time in your life during which you fell in love and obsessed over that love, then outgrew it as the years stretched on. Hopefully nobody gets offended when I say this, I understand that a lot of us here feel that Alizee changed or even saved our lives, and indeed she did in some cases - perhaps those people will always remember her. The rest of us who were or are just sort of infatuated with her, those are the ones I'm referring to when I say all this. We all move on, even if we like to think that we'll carry certain things or weights on our hearts forever.

I also rambled a lot :X

TL;DR I think by the time we've reached the ripe old age of -your age here +60-, other stuff will matter too much for us to bother obsessing over one person anymore.
You certainly have a point there. Good thinking.

But, what if one realizes at advanced age, that he/she has wasted his/her life on certain things, perhaps because he never asked himself whether other possibilites exist? ==> I mean, perhaps instead of wasting his life on supporting 4 children, he should have gone with only 2 and spend the rest of his resources on his own education, hobbies...

Or perhaps an artist or scientist realizes that he has wasted his career on things he doesn`t really like and finds out, that he has lost his independence ("innocence") when he "grew up" (that is, when he accepted conformance to common ideas or ways of doing things)... perhaps only then he realizes, that this small woman from the far past is something he needs for inspiration ... to try to do things he would like to do the last time in his life...

You know, Alizée is not just a person, is not just someone we hear when we listen to UEDS or MCE, when we look at our computer desktop, ... as per my understanding, she is foremost a symbol, a symbol of Alizée-ness, which has a different meaning to every individual.

Just perhaps, only for certain persons and only at ones advanced age, will one start to begin to understand, what Alizée-ness really is... and that really is something that is worth telling your grandchildren about.

Therefore, being a fan for life - not possible. But being alizee-ish for life - totally plausible.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

My grandmother passed away nine years ago, but before she did I'd spend a lot of time keeping her company. She was aware of present events but couldn't understand her current situation, and I was (I think and hoped) able to help her feel calm and safe by being there as someone she knew and trusted. My point though is that while she couldn't remember that day's lunch, she could still tell the same stories from her childhood that she had told me 30+ years earlier with all the detail I remember from back then.

My experience with memories and such, being around twice the average age here, is that you won't forget the things that were important to you. You'll also remember trivial things. Sometimes you'll wonder why they seemed so important at the time, or why you couldn't see what you should have at the time. But that's how life works, you hopefully learn from the past and move on. New things and situations arise that have to be dealt with and enjoyed. Life goes on.

I don't think that Alizée will be completely forgotten by any fan. I'm sure the internet as we know it will be gone as well, but I think music survives and her songs will somehow still be available. But there will be so much more created in 50/60 years that older things would be much more difficult to discover for the first time.

And as usual I'm losing track of my thoughts so I'll just stop here.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:27 AM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matevz91 View Post
Huh? Would you care to explain?
Well, I have been reluctant to tell much about this recently, but still...

I discovered her in 2007. That was first time when I had full time internet access, so I was a newb in the online world.

My friend showed me her video (JEAM and La Isla Bonita) and at first I was surprised because I had never seen such thing before. Not sure if you can guess what I was thinking, but video looked weird to me. I wasn't a type of guy who would listen to songs and watch movies. I could hardly identify any Indian singers or actors and actresses. That's why I had not much idea of a music album, single and such stage performances. My first reaction was 'what's going on and what's this girl doing'. While my friends continued watching the videos, I wasn't paying much attention and left the room. Before leaving I heard the argument between some friends about whether she is Italian or American.

Later when I noticed that many people had seen her videos, I became curious and started searching about her. Little bit of effort and I found that she is French.

I got interested and listened to her other songs. I liked those especially Amelie m'a dit very much. There was a time when I used to return back from classes and spend whole time searching about her. I could hardly understand much.

I found that she got married in 2003 and stopped singing after that. For some reason, I was very disappointed. Before that I used to tell everyone enthusiastically about her and later I felt as if everything ended before starting.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Favorite: JEAMizée

User22 is on a distinguished road

All very good posts and MA I cracked up when you said "whats going on and what this girl doing" haha

But guys, I think I've got the solution. We keep a log book in a cave in Corsica, and after this site goes offline and we have no point of contact, we travel to the cave years down the road and people leave their contact information and whether or not they still have their harddrives and thier physical collections. That way we can keep an underground check-up system going and never lose her!

Im tired, that made little sense, night.